Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 12:44 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
But they DON'T have the right to stomp inconsiderably all day and all night if its causing a disturbance, and they DEFINITELY should not be vacuuming the floor or cooking in the kitchen or doing laundry past midnight. That shows open inconsideration and selfishness to others.
Everyone does not work the same shifts. A lot of people get off work at midnight. Their doing laundry,
cleaning house and preparing their food for their supper after midnight, is the same schedule you follow after working a day shift. Or even worse for midnight to 8 a.m, so when they want to sleep, but people doing their chores and kids making lots of noise at play give them sleep problems. You would be surprised how many people work shifts other than yours, and how your schedule is contrary to theirs.

You complain about them, and they make the same complaint about you, due to the difference in your schedules and the time your shift determines sleeping hours.

If it sounds like people are stomping, it shows the poor sound insulation between floors. In fact, some floors are so hollow, they multiply the sound and will act like a drum and make it very loud sounding to the apartment below no matter how quiet the walker walks.

You want the other tenants to all work your shift to cook when you cook, do laundry when you do, do their cleaning when you do yours. But due to work and life differences, that is not going to happen. They may be on the same schedule as you are, but due to difference in work hours, may be 8 to 12 hours different in timing, Your only chance for relief from the problem, is to find a much better sound control apartment, and move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 06:06 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Once again, being endless, since NO one knows of another's experience, unless they witness it for themselves OR are relating to what another is describing, which exists, unfortunately. Those affected, for the most part, are NOT overreacting to sounds. There are variables, but those who do not like continual, reverberating pounding on their ceiling, find it to be nerve-wracking and uncomfortable, an invasion of their living space.

(Look, this is unlike Misophonia for example, a condition where one cannot tolerate hearing the sounds of sniffing, breathing, yawning, etc., which is entirely different).

Few things determines sound, 1) How much person weight, there is just so no way around that. If someone is walking about you that is 500lb you will hear them, period. 2) building construction makes a big difference. So unless person above you jumps every time they need to move which is unlikely then it's combination of weight and building construction.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So you do believe people have the right to be as loud as they want with no regard to anyone around them. You think they should be allowed to stomp on the ground as loud as they want whenever they want, and they should be allowed to wake up everyone down stairs running a vacuum cleaner at 2 AM.
That’s not what I said. I said people have a right to move about their units. Just because you can hear them doesn’t mean their stomping.

I agree no vacuuming at 0200, but cooking, bathing and watching tv is perfectly acceptable; especially for those who work the late shift.

Can’t handle the ‘noise’? Move

Old 06-21-2019, 03:03 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
.......It would be helpful if prospective tenants would need to pass a mental health test,, .........

Well and fine, but you are aware that mental health disabilities are protected by law and a landlord can not deny an applicant because of a mental health disability?

Then, once the tenant fails a mental health test, that tenant is legally allowed to have one or two or ten emotional support animals, of any species that they prefer.

Are you really sure you want applicants to have mental health screening? You could end up, not only with a sociopath upstairs, but a sociopath that owns a pet emotional support pig, a screaming macaw, or maybe even a horse.

That would be some clomping noise above your head if there were an emotional support horse upstairs.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:00 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well and fine, but you are aware that mental health disabilities are protected by law and a landlord can not deny an applicant because of a mental health disability?

Then, once the tenant fails a mental health test, that tenant is legally allowed to have one or two or ten emotional support animals, of any species that they prefer.

Are you really sure you want applicants to have mental health screening? You could end up, not only with a sociopath upstairs, but a sociopath that owns a pet emotional support pig, a screaming macaw, or maybe even a horse.

That would be some clomping noise above your head if there were an emotional support horse upstairs.
No, I was not speaking of the clearly disabled, who likely would live in specific housing facilities. I am addressing those who are working individuals with a personality issue. As I said, unfortunately it would not be possible to determine that one is a Sociopath for instance, anyway. That's the problem.

Like the guy above, who is a 50-something juvenile with an attitude, having a "phony persona", a liar and doesn't care about others. Another one who would never stop running around I thought may have had ADHD. These types may not be self-aware of any condition or forthright about in suggesting they should live downstairs, which is another problem. Just examples of some existing within society.

A building such as mine would never allow animals such as those OR several. I can't imagine anywhere where they would, unless it was a barn. (You are being absurd).

Old 06-21-2019, 09:22 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,362 times
Quote:
No, I was not speaking of the clearly disabled, who likely would live in specific housing facilities. I am addressing those who are working individuals with a personality issue. As I said, unfortunately it would not be possible to determine that one is a Sociopath for instance, anyway. That's the problem.

Like the guy above, who is a 50-something juvenile with an attitude, having a "phony persona", a liar and doesn't care about others. Another one who would never stop running around I thought may have had ADHD. These types may not be self-aware of any condition or forthright about in suggesting they should live downstairs, which is another problem. Just examples of some existing within society.

A building such as mine would never allow animals such as those OR several. I can't imagine anywhere where they would, unless it was a barn. (You are being absurd).

I suggest you read up on ADA law.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Few things determines sound, 1) How much person weight, there is just so no way around that. If someone is walking about you that is 500lb you will hear them, period. 2) building construction makes a big difference. So unless person above you jumps every time they need to move which is unlikely then it's combination of weight and building construction.
Nope..more assumptions. Many having experienced this issue have noted that the size of the person did not matter, which there is information regarding. Besides the current guy upstairs (being about 6 ft. and not heavy) striking with his HEELS which some do unfortunately, I've experienced a small female continually stomping around daily (slamming and banging besides), when others having lived in the same unit, being men of all sizes, were those I could barely tell were there! So it's shock when it changes and know it is due to the individual. It's also already been said how it is not due to construction in every instance.

Not wanting to repeat this stuff, but if the same remarks are stated, then responses may be repeated in order to have it sink in.

Period.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:21 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times
When my husband and I lived in apartments we were always on a ground floor apartment, we had some heavy furniture that was his mom's so never would have chosen a upper floor for that reason. Probably a good thing for our neighbors in the apartment. My husband is a heavy walker and paces alot, really a lot and stomps, is of average weight. Literally sounds like a herd of elephants when he goes up and down the stairs in our split level home.

Some people just walk noisy, me, you would never hear me coming.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:17 PM

260 posts, read 129,524 times
Is there any way you can sleep with a fan or one of those white noise machines? You would be surprised at how much noise it blocks to keep you from waking. It lulls me to sleep, too.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:36 PM

10,213 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post
Is there any way you can sleep with a fan or one of those white noise machines? You would be surprised at how much noise it blocks to keep you from waking. It lulls me to sleep, too.
I've done that and the constant stomping still wakes me up and keeps me awake. They would stomp nonstop until at least 2 AM and start stomping again around 6 AM and they also love ALWAYS moving furniture around and dropping heavy objects on the floor. And I'm never able to take a nap during the day either because they're always home and stomping and making other sorts of noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting