Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:08 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

sskkc....I do have pets and rent out to people who have pets. If you have an issue with the pet fee than buy a home or rent a place where they don't charge it...don't start complaining to others and blaming them for not loving pets...

I have 2 dogs and they are part of my family and live indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
sskkc....I do have pets and rent out to people who have pets. If you have an issue with the pet fee than buy a home or rent a place where they don't charge it...don't start complaining to others and blaming them for not loving pets...

I have 2 dogs and they are part of my family and live indoors.
Okay... then I see it IS just a matter of reading comprehension on your part.

Last edited by sskkc; 03-25-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 11,542 times
I disagree with fatmancomics....#1, you CAN be a homeowner in a communal environment, i.e., condos and co-ops. #2 do you really think it's fair to say that only homeowners in non-communal enviornments should own pets? Large cities like Chicago, Manhattan, Los Angeles, San Francisco, just to name a few are filled with hundreds of thousands of pet owners living in apartment buildings; and whether they rent or own, they love their pets. #3 there would be a serious over crowding problem in shelters if that were the case.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,094 times
Default Dog Tenant

I moved into this 2-Bedroom 5 years ago in Alaska. We agreed to rent Month by Month (NO signed lease, ever)...The Security Deposit is refundable, but they told me that the $250. pet deposit per animal for 1 cat and 1 dog was non-refundable (at the time), here is the sticky part, I'm getting ready to move out in 3-4 weeks, and they are saying there won't be any way to get the pet deposit back, even though 1. My 2 animals have done absolutely no damage whatsoever to the apartment ( and I can prove it, I have an excellent camera), and 2. they have never, ever had fleas either. What should I do, is there someone I can call...here in Anchorage...?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
They told you it was non-refundable up front. Did you not understand what this meant? There is no "sticky" part. They are doing exactly what they told you they were going to do.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 15,094 times
Default Interesting...

No need to be rude, or snippy about it. Just got off the phone with HUD and asked them the same question.....they said the landlord must have a legitimate reason for keeping the pet deposit (not fee), such as damage of any kind, flea infestation, etc. which, as I said, there isn't one flea, and not one speck of damage. 8- ) Thank you SO much for your reply. Have a nice day!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I wasn't rude or snippy. Just to the point. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyhover View Post
Hello all...

I am sure that the Nonrefundable pet fee thing has been beat up, but my situation is a bit different I think. I have one cat and paid a $300 nonrefundable pet fee. I "assumed" that this fee was to cover anything extra that the rental agency had to do when I moved out. However, it appears that I am responsible for treating the house for fleas and having all carpets steam cleaned. Ironically, this adds up to about ....$300!!! What exactly is this pet fee used for if I still have to take care of these items?
Even you stated a "nonrefundable" pet fee. So, you knew going in....that would have been the time to ask these questions....at the time you were deciding whether to rent and pay a non-refundable pet deposit. Good luck

Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtenant View Post
No need to be rude, or snippy about it. Just got off the phone with HUD and asked them the same question.....they said the landlord must have a legitimate reason for keeping the pet deposit (not fee), such as damage of any kind, flea infestation, etc. which, as I said, there isn't one flea, and not one speck of damage. 8- ) Thank you SO much for your reply. Have a nice day!
It was the response I would have given to your question if I'd seen it first and wouldn't have considered it rude at all. And before you start counting those chickens, I would double check Alaska state landlord tenant laws about that non refundable pet deposit. HUD rules and regulations often differ from state laws and apply to HUD-regulated units. Unless your rental falls under HUD guidelines you may find that there is no state law to supersede the clearly non-refundable pet deposit you paid. A regular pet deposit is one thing but you agreed to a non-refundable deposit which is (pun intended) a completely different animal.

If Alaska landlord tenant laws aren't linked in the first "sticky" on this page you can easily find what you need by googling, "Alaska landlord tenant laws pet deposits". Good luck.

PS to JanND - I think you're answering the original poster from a couple of years back. A new poster has revived the thread.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtenant View Post
I moved into this 2-Bedroom 5 years ago in Alaska. We agreed to rent Month by Month (NO signed lease, ever)...The Security Deposit is refundable, but they told me that the $250. pet deposit per animal for 1 cat and 1 dog was non-refundable (at the time), here is the sticky part, I'm getting ready to move out in 3-4 weeks, and they are saying there won't be any way to get the pet deposit back, even though 1. My 2 animals have done absolutely no damage whatsoever to the apartment ( and I can prove it, I have an excellent camera), and 2. they have never, ever had fleas either. What should I do, is there someone I can call...here in Anchorage...?
Here is the Alaska landlord tenant laws. http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/folioproxy.asp?url=http://wwwjnu01.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin/folioisa.dll/stattx07/query=*/doc/{t13909}?

There is more detailed discussion here. Landlord Tenant Info (pdf file): http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pub/landlord.pdf

I found nothing in either of those in regard to a pet deposit, non-refundable or otherwise. It does however say:
Quote:
The landlord and tenant may include in a rental agreement clauses and conditions not prohibited by this chapter or by law, including rent, terms of agreement, and other provisions governing the rights and obligations of the parties.
It sounds like the non-refundable pet deposit falls into that category. It is something you agreed to at the beginning of the rental, so you are obligated to adhere to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting