Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,064 times

Advertisements

Hello, can anyone give me advice on the following -- I rent an apt on the top floor of a building that allows me to climb out onto the other side of the buildings roof from my bedroom window. Theres about 20 ft of roof directly in front of my bedroom window. I don't go out there because its not part of my actual lease and it allows me to see into my neighbors windows and it seems an invasion of privacy. The young guy that lives on the same floor of the townhouse in the adjacent building climbs out of his bedroom window and brings a chair anywhere from about 5 ft to 9ft from my bedroom window, over to my side of the roof and sits and smokes cigars. When it is dark, I turn my bedroom light on and don't even know he's there until I start smelling cigar smoke, he can see right into my bedroom and bathroom bc he's sitting right there. My apt. fills w cigar smoke, which is annoying enough, but it also really creeps me out bc he's a stranger outside my bedroom window. I very nicely asked him to please stay on his side when he does this due to the smoke, and he basically said No the roof slants so I can only put my chair here. He also leaves his discarded cigars on my side of the roof which is not only disgusting but a huge fire hazard. I called my landlord, and she said she contacted the building manager. But a week later he was out there again, left his butt for me to clean up too. I am upset abt this for many reasons, the invasion of privacy, trespassing, fire hazard. My landlord lives out of state so I feel a little left on my own. I think think this guy is completely disregarding me because I'm a woman who lives alone, so what can I really do. So any advice would be greatly appreciated! What CAN I do? Btw I live in center city, Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am1234 View Post
I rent an apt on the top floor of a building
that allows me to climb out onto the other side of the buildings roof from my bedroom window.
Whoa there! Are you saying that your lease describes a right for (and by that a landlords
expectation) tenants to climb out their windows? And a further right to roam on the roof?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:23 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Call the police and report a peeping tom or trespasser.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Call the police and report a peeping tom or trespasser.
I agree. Call the non-emergency police number and tell them you're concerned about this guy.

I've had to do this before, and the cops talked to the guy in person, or called him (depending on the situation), and that took care of it.

Make sure your emphasis is on your privacy and safety, and not the cigar smoke, to get best results.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
You said you don't go out there but then you say you pick up his butts?

I also don't see invasion of privacy. He is on the roof of a different building. If your windows are uncovered what do you expect? There are buildings with terraces next to each other, is that an invasion of privacy? My patio has a common wall with my neighbor, is that an invasion of privacy? Buy drapes and close the window.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I absolutely and totally disagree with the poster above. You have an invasion of privacy and peeping tom issue going on. Contact the LL again to inform that the tenant is again outside your window and that you are contacting the police. Then do call the police the next time he is outside.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:48 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I absolutely and totally disagree with the poster above. You have an invasion of privacy and peeping tom issue going on. Contact the LL again to inform that the tenant is again outside your window and that you are contacting the police. Then do call the police the next time he is outside.

He is not on the same property. If you mention peeping tom the police will tell you to buy drapes.

Some houses are that close. Are you saying a person has to stay inside if the neighbors house is that close? When you live in close proximity you give up some privacy.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
get shades or blinds or drapes. Close them as soon as it starts getting dusk, even if he is not out there.

LEAVE THE BUT.TS there and well as any trash he leaves there. If you clean up he will never get in trouble. If you let them pile up, maybe the property manager will see them and have issues.

If you leave the window open while he is smoking, get a window fan and face it so it blows air out the window. This will blow the smoke away from your apartment.

I dont see this as evasion of privacy unless he is peering into your window. Sounds like is found a place to smoke outdoors.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I don't know where it is said that the OP doesn't have shades, blinds, or drapes; yet 2 of you have insinuated she does nothing to prevent him from being a PEEPING TOM. Whether she has or closes them, does not negate that he is specifically blowing his nasty cigar smoke into her window knowing it is offensive to her. He is ON THE ROOF which is not a public space, obviously was told by the LL not to do so (by his absence of a few days) and is back at it.

Call the police. There is no requirement to shut one's self into one's home like a hermit to prevent someone from being in an unauthorized space looking or blowing smoke into one's unit.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Get drapes, curtains, or just keep the windows closed. I imagine that you lock your front door because its got easy access into your apartment. The same seems to apply to your windows, treat it the same way.

As a cigar smoker, it seems like your neighbor has a pretty sweet thing going, I'd just LOVE to climb up on a roof with a comfy chair and enjoy a cigar on a nice evening. However, he is being a creep by leaving trash behind.

But yeah, if your windows are ground level, or have "easy access", I think the onus is on you to cover them up and keep the closed if you don't want random people having a looksee, or having offensive smells enter your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting