Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times

Advertisements

This thread is dated back to a year ago.

New posters should start their own threads.

I started reading thru this, poster I've quoted here is wrong.
Anyone could have googled Florida Landlord Tenant Law.

Floridas' Landlord/Tenant Law

[SIZE=-1] * Before signing a rental agreement make sure you understand the terms of the
contract. If you don't understand, don't sign the lease!!! There is NO required
grace period for canceling leases, so if you sign, you are bound to the agreement.[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
I have looked up and down our statues for something related and cannot find it, so I phoned our attorney's to see if they know where it is and what they have to say. I will post later after I speak with them and see what they have to say.
I just can't see how a LL can hold you liable to a contract that has yet to start. It makes no sense. Sure, you take on the responsibilities of the lease-when the dates begin that are shown on the lease contract that is legal and binding. It's like an insurance company charging you for months ahead, even after you cancelled your service.
But I will see what the attorney's say, and get back with you on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,378 times
im tyring to rent a place,property mngnt said ur approve you have to put in the deposit to hold the place,we gave them the deposit,we have not sign a lease aggrement,the only thing that we got is the reciet for the deposit,we hold the place for 3 days and decided not to go with it,its $2,500 deposit for two bed 1 1/2 bath,now the mngnt dont want to give our deposit money coz they said u only gonna get it after 1 year lease but we dont sign anything.the mngnt are playing tough>is there any law regarding this?help!!!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
I signed a lease for an apartment in Florida on 8/26/11, and assumed ownership yesterday after paying the depoist. Since yesterday, I have changed my mind and do not want to move into the apartment. If I notify the leasing company today that I am not going to move into the apartment, will I lose my deposit? .

Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardallen View Post
I signed a lease for an apartment in Florida on 8/26/11, and assumed ownership yesterday after paying the depoist. Since yesterday, I have changed my mind and do not want to move into the apartment. If I notify the leasing company today that I am not going to move into the apartment, will I lose my deposit? .
Yes absolutely, you may be on the hook for more than that. Unless it is month to month and then you will have to give notice(whatever is required ussually 30 days) and then you may lose next month too.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:06 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,689 times
Yes, you will lose the deposit and will potentially be liable for monthly rent until they find a suitable replacement tenant. A lease is a legally binding contract. What does it say about the consequences of breaking the lease?

Old 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,815 times
Default tenant wants security deposit back

Tenant signed a lease but did not move in now wants security deposit back.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
I know it's an old thread, forgive me. mquintana, did your attorney friend give you any references with Florida law for why this is the case? I signed a lease for an apartment starting may, two days ago, perhaps belatedly I looked up crime rates in the area and called to cancel today. I sent a written signed statement by me (through e-mail, fax, and fedex with direct signature) to the leaser saying I'm cancelling the lease and that I never got a copy of the lease signed by him. What about Florida law specifically says that I don't have to pay him the 1100 dollars that he's asking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Ok, I spoke to my attorney's and I have an answer in the aspect of Fl. law.

-If the leasee signed the contract PRIOR to the lease begining and then cancelled before moving in, it would depend on what the LL/management company told them PRIOR to them signing it-did they mention that they would not be responsible if they cancel before or did they mention they would be, or was nothing said at all? But then the next question is did the LL sign the lease as well and give a copy to the leasee. If no then they can easily get out of the contract and not have any issues in court (not be held liable), but if yes, then they are responsible for the contract regardless of the effective date (and this is where you are right Austin-Steve). But there are 2 sides to this so if the person didn't receive a signed copy then no, they are not responsible. So I guess I was half right and half wrong. There is a way out but there is a fine line as to whether or not the leasee is responsible if the contract is signed prior to the effective date.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,588 times
what happens if the lessor never signed the original contract

Old 03-02-2014, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times
I rent my house yesterday March 1, the tenant called me the next day to canceled the lease after she walk the house and aceppted all the conditions, she already gave me the security deposit check, the first month and last month wich is the comition for the realtors, is the tenenat in the right to do this?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times
I rent my house yesterday March 1, the tenant called me the next day to canceled the lease after she walked the house and aceppted all the conditions, she already gave me the security deposit check, the first month and last month wich is the comition for the realtors, is the tenenat in the right to do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting