Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,495 times

Advertisements

Fortunately, for humans sake! That's Not the case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I would think "as is" would mean just that.....another way to put it, don't expect the landlord to be involved in ANY upkeep or maintenance...what you see is what you get...the landlord wants nothing from you other than your monthly rent...the rest is up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
It is not illegal to have a contract that states that the tenant is responsible for all repairs. It would have to be in the contract, but as an example, a professional handiman might take on all responsibilities for all repairs in exchange for cheaper rent. Nor is it illegal for someone to get a few month's free rent in exchange for redoing the plumbing or putting a roof on the house.

There are landlords in my area who specialize in the dregs of society and they never fix anything. If a tenant is not a meth head, child molester, or thief, there is no reason to take one of those houses. There are plenty of nice houses to rent as long as the tenant has income, no criminal record, and decent landlord references. Some landlords will even rent you a good house if you have bad credit, as long as the other criteria are met.

As for the tenants with drug dealing convictions, evictions on their record, child molesting convictions, they have to take what they can get and no sympathy from me if the house isn't gorgeous and in perfect repair.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Being a cheerful optimist this morning, "as is" could only mean things like a floor covered with faded scratched linoleum.....don't expect you can ask for new....or rust stained sinks and tubs and fluorescent orange wallpaper.....don't ask for a remodel.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It is not illegal to have a contract that states that the tenant is responsible for all repairs. It would have to be in the contract, but as an example, a professional handiman might take on all responsibilities for all repairs in exchange for cheaper rent. Nor is it illegal for someone to get a few month's free rent in exchange for redoing the plumbing or putting a roof on the house.
There are minimum standards for places to be fit for rent in every state. In every state the responsibility to meet those requirements falls on the landlord, regardless of what the contract states.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
There are minimum standards for places to be fit for rent in every state. In every state the responsibility to meet those requirements falls on the landlord, regardless of what the contract states.
If there is free or reduced rent in consideration for necessary repairs, the LL is, in effect, taking care of having it done.
I've not seen owners come out ahead on this kind of deal too often, but do know of a few times when it worked out well for both parties.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM

155 posts, read 564,470 times
Most LL rent as is, and the tenant has a move in inspection,

If you rent a dump it is reflected in the rent, as is, is for the protection of the LL, and not a reflection of the property.

If a W/D is not new don't ask for a new one after you move in.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Another type of "as-is" not involving damage.

I had an applicant tell me that she did not like the style of carpeting, but would rent if I pulled out the perfectly good carpet and replaced it with Berber. So sorry, what you see is what you get. This landlord will not be doing any redecorating for you. No changing of paint colors, no changing of perfectly good carpet, no brand new appliances, no new shelves, no brand new curtains, and don't even ask to have the color of the toilet changed.

It is not unusual for tenants to move in and then start to request decorating changes, many of them rather expensive. Not only will I not pay for their decorating ideas, they had jolly well better not be changing paint or removing cabinets themselves.

Why would a tenant remove cabinets? I don't know, but I had a tenant one time remove an entire closet, walls and all. That little decorating idea cost her a bunch of money to have a closet rebuilt.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 673 times
Theres any one can help me on what to do wen u rent a house as is? The houses is getting cracks from getting old are we suppose to fix it or the landlord should fix it.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnations23 View Post
Theres any one can help me on what to do wen u rent a house as is? The houses is getting cracks from getting old are we suppose to fix it or the landlord should fix it.
Are the cracks causing a habitability issue? Or are they just cosmetic. I would say if the house was advertised as-is, the landlord isn't going to fix cosmetic things, but most likely have a legal obligation to repair anything impacting habitability.

Either way, you should bring it to your landlord's attention. Even if they aren't going to fix it, they should be made aware it exists.

We actually have one rental (out of over 180) that is an as-is. We intend to tear it down in the next 2 years to develop the acreage it sits on, so our handyman lives in it cheap and does needed repairs himself and just deducts them from his miniscule rent (he practically lives there free).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting