Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times

Advertisements

Landlord claims libel over 'mold' Tweet - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/07/uptown-resident-sued-for-twitter-post.html - broken link)

to quickly summarize the article, the tenant tweeted that there was mold in her apartment and mentioned the LL. now the LL, which is a company, is suing for libel and $50k

seriously? I know in the entertainment world, there's no such thing as bad publicity, but in this case, this is some really bad publicity, especially if the company is stupid enough to sue. I guess I won't be renting from these folks any time soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Landlord claims libel over 'mold' Tweet - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/07/uptown-resident-sued-for-twitter-post.html - broken link)

to quickly summarize the article, the tenant tweeted that there was mold in her apartment and mentioned the LL. now the LL, which is a company, is suing for libel and $50k

seriously? I know in the entertainment world, there's no such thing as bad publicity, but in this case, this is some really bad publicity, especially if the company is stupid enough to sue. I guess I won't be renting from these folks any time soon
Hey, if it's true, it's not libel. If it's false, it could be. But in order to be awarded damages, the LL would have to show proof that they were monetarily damaged by the statement.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
god, you've gotta LOVE a landlord that says something like this:

'“We’re a sue first, ask questions later kind of an organization,” he (Jeffrey Michael) said, noting that the company manages 1,500 apartments in Chicago and has a good reputation it wants to preserve.'

makes me wanna run out and rent from them right this second

which do you think is going to cause the most harm to a business: a little tweet that originally reached about 20 people, or a national news story that is now the most talked about story on Twitter, Digg, and bloggers, where a landlord is recorded as saying that golden nugget? god, even if they have a case against the tenant (I personally don't think they don't, but I'm not too keen on libel laws), such a statement doesn't make them look that good in the public

Old 07-29-2009, 01:30 AM

314 posts, read 936,062 times
I remember I had a moldy apt in which I broke my lease and moved out in 4 months. When we were moving the leasing agent was showing the apt across the courtyard to some prospective tenants. My friend yelled out, " dont move in here they have lots of mold in their apts." I wonder did that person ever move in there? My friend also lived in the same complex but a different building and she moved out because there was so much mold.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Wow, I guess anyone that's ever posted a comment on apartmentratings.com better prepare to get sued!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
I don't think the suit stands a chance... besides I imagine the statement is true. It is just going to be a hassle for the defendant to deal with.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times
If there is mold it's not libel. So all the defendant has to do is prove there is mold.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:40 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Wow, I guess anyone that's ever posted a comment on apartmentratings.com better prepare to get sued!
That is what I thought! Kind of scary, huh?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:56 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Sure they can sue.
The question is, will they win,
I doubt it.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:28 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
If it is a false rumor they can do real damage to a company.
One of our kids is staying in NY at Int. House and that is a place to tweeter about.

We had to give written permission to charge our creditcard for her stay which we did and after a week of staying there, when she came back to Int. House at 11 pm her key wasn't working (like a hotel card key) and they wouldn't tell her why but that because of the tim they would let her in but the next day she had to get out of there....no reason told why! Understandable her night sleep wasn't too good, and the next morning they told me that she hadn't paid....I forwarded the proof and the emails from them stating they had received my permission and would go forward charging my cc, which they had forgotten....so issue solved but she had to come back from work early to get her key card reactivated again, no sorry!
The dining room is closed many times a week but they charge you $ 4.- a day, open or closed and for the last 2 weeks you have to pay $ 4.- a day but it is closed the entire time! btw the 3 black hairs in the sandwich wasn't helping much to wanting to eat there, specially after the person with black hair standing there and putting the food out there....and it didn't happen just once.
The gym is only open if you have gone to orientation but most times the person giving the orientation puts a paper on the door that he won't be there and orientation is only available 2 times a week.
After arrival she went shopping for clean towels and cleans sheets, although they were provided by Int. House...that says enough....specially after staying at a College dorm for over a year, so it isn't just a spoiled person who can't deal with things...luckily no mold!

This is definitely the last time she ever has stayed there....and we wouldn't recommend it to anybody else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting