Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,817 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm new to this forum but it looks great.

I'm having big time issues with my former landlord over the security deposit. I filed a case in small claims court today. The deposit was $1700, there were two problems with the unit, a closet door was destroyed and the cable line was taken out for DirectTV and not replaced. Well after the 21 day cutoff she finally says she's got the money. She said she was going to mail $1100, then a couple days later claimed she got the address wrong. She then asked for my bank account info to do a direct deposit. 6 days later and multiple unreturned phone calls and emails later still no money, just an email complaining that "you didn't fix everything yourselves so you have to wait until I fix it."

So I'm fed up and do a warning letter threatening to go to small claims. I give her a day to pay me and she doesn't and I file the case suing for $5000 (3X deposit). She never sent any itemized list within 21 days, only one email about the cable. I never recieved any list of deductions after the walk through or after I moved out.

Then she says that dealing with it in small claims is "perfect, I totally agree."

This case is easy right? I literally have got nothing except some lame emails from her and it's been over a month. Any advice? My courtdate is in Sept.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,071,134 times
File the paper work immediately for small claims court. Don't wait any longer. The trick will be to collect. Good luck. Also, ask for the full amount of the deposit.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
Bring all your documentation as well when you do go to court!!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,694,341 times
I believe you will win the judgment. Unfortunately I also believe will have major problems trying to collect it. Regardless never give up. Use whatever means you can, i.e, BBB, collection agency, or lawyer.
Good luck!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,904 times
Random emails don't count as an itemized list. But take copies of them anyway in case she tries to claim she emailed you a list. Even though the burden of proof would be on her, but she can always make something up to try to show the judge.

If it is passed the allowable timeframe and you have no itemized list or th emoney, she will be judged against in the amount of 3x your deposit. Merry x-mas in September. But don't ever count on actually recieving the money unless you cna garnish her wages.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:24 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
Dont forget the interest on the security deposit must be paid as well!

Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
Any e-mail or list she might come up with are not going to do her any good in court because in most states, the LL should mail the refund and statement via certified mail w/ the US Post office.
Take your lease, any handbook you might have, and any other documentation in triplicate to your hearing.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
OK.

A closet door? 100 bucks......tops. Pleez tell me, how did you manage to destroy the closet door?

Cable line? We didn't even have cable in our new home, the cable company came out and installed one.

No charge.

Laws vary state by state.
For example....

....in Michigan, the landlord must give the security deposit back within 30 days, or part or none with an explanation.

If this isn't done, then the tenant will receive DOUBLE the security deposit. Doesn't matter if there was damage, etc.....

It sounds like you may have a case, but she did make contact with you.

Ifya get ANYTHING, it'll prob'ly be 1700 at the most.

Still worth you while, eh?

Good luck and let us know next month how it went.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,888,577 times
I disagree with those that say if you win, you will have a hard time collecting. If it were the LL suing the tenet, that is a true statement, because tenents disappear, have no job, no income, no car, nothing to attach.
It would be doubtful, if you could subpoena a deadbeat tenant, that they would show up in court. How are you even going to find the flake to serve him/her..?
A LL has many obvious assets to put a lien on. Easy to find, easy to serve, easy to lien if they lose...

Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
It depends if the LL has the property in a LLC or as a private property...

I don't understand filing 3 x the deposit. I have won in small claims court but you get a judgment for the cost of filing + the amount you claim you should have gotten back. You need proof in writing and even better if you have pictures and emails.

I had pictures, video, lots of emails and bills for repair, so for me it was easy to get a judgment with interest but still haven't gotten anything. But I have time to wait and maybe one day they need a job where a background will be done or they want to rent another place and they do a background check...The judgement is in both names...so I just wait, they are young and maybe they realize one day that in order to get rid of the judgment they better pay....a collecting agency is looking out for them and I check them on many websites...isn't the internet nice, specially facebook, etc....so many people want to tell everything...hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting