Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM

48 posts, read 91,892 times

Advertisements

Our new neighbors moved in (there are about 12 or more in a 2 family home). They are on gov't assistance section 8 and the reason I mention that is because this mtg is being held (I think anyway) as a brainstorming of what can be done to get them out due to their daily/nightly routine of hanging around, shirtless, EXTREMELY loud and inconsiderate of others. But if there is a contract with the gov't (section 8) wouldn't it be impossible to evict them just because they are loud, obnoxious, rowdy and inconsiderate neighbors?

I wonder if anyone has been involved in these types of meetings prior and what type of resolution was had. Do we have any hope if some neighbors banded together on this issue.

p.s. - just in case folks misinterpret, I have nothing against sec 8 recipient families at all, these just happen to be abrasive people and would still grate nerves had they paid half a million in cash for their home. I mentioned it solely b/c I wondered if there were any strict gov't laws that states section 8 tenants must stay in their homes for a set amount of time leaving us neighbors will no hope at all.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
I hope it turns out well for you. Check out the noise ordinances (sp?) in your area. At this point that is the only legal thing you can do. I would not get directly involved with them incase the reason they are section 8 is because they are nuts.

I would also contact the local welfare office for advice too.

I remember these was a post awhile back where a few banded together to get rid of normal renters that were rowdy batchelor type situation.

Watch for drug activity.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
shirtless? well if the women are shirtless, then you might have something to work with, but I suspect that ain't the case.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:40 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocklandorLongIsland View Post
Our new neighbors moved in (there are about 12 or more in a 2 family home). They are on gov't assistance section 8 and the reason I mention that is because this mtg is being held (I think anyway) as a brainstorming of what can be done to get them out due to their daily/nightly routine of hanging around, shirtless, EXTREMELY loud and inconsiderate of others. But if there is a contract with the gov't (section 8) wouldn't it be impossible to evict them just because they are loud, obnoxious, rowdy and inconsiderate neighbors?

I wonder if anyone has been involved in these types of meetings prior and what type of resolution was had. Do we have any hope if some neighbors banded together on this issue.

p.s. - just in case folks misinterpret, I have nothing against sec 8 recipient families at all, these just happen to be abrasive people and would still grate nerves had they paid half a million in cash for their home. I mentioned it solely b/c I wondered if there were any strict gov't laws that states section 8 tenants must stay in their homes for a set amount of time leaving us neighbors will no hope at all.

Thank you
Well, if there truly ARE "12 or more" living in the home, then that is your key. Section 8 has very specific guidelines about how many people can live in a certain number of rooms.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Well, if there truly ARE "12 or more" living in the home, then that is your key. Section 8 has very specific guidelines about how many people can live in a certain number of rooms.
Yes, there are a lot of people in and out but I don't know if they live there even though they stop by everyday.

Does anyone know what NY Section complaint numbers are if there is such a thing when you suspect suspicious activity? I really hate to do this but they are SO friggin' rowdy and we couldn't even enjoy the summer with the children playing outside this year and we pay too much to not enjoy our own home.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,145,690 times
Maybe start with noise complaints to the police?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 AM

I'm sure they've gotten a multitude of complaints. Just the other day we called our local precinct because of a loud argument (profanities thrown around with children nearby etc...) and the local precinct told me that someone already called and she said the next time I should call 911 instead!?!?! It never occurred to me to do that but someone did call already.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocklandorLongIsland View Post

Thank you
One year lease is signed so yer stuck .. and umm are ya sure they are sec8
give it up your dislike of these folks wont get them kicked out ..

Old 08-09-2009, 05:26 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
In addition to calling the police EVERY time they are overly obnoxious, I would contact the local Housing Authority that issued their Section vouchers.

Take pictures, make notes of dates, times, incidents on a regular basis. If you are seeing a lot of 10 and 15 minute "visits" by numerous people, report "possible suspicious activity" as well.

Section 8 vouchers from the government do not give them the right to overload the home beyond code, or to disturb the neighborhood with offensive and loud behaviour (and I'm not counting the shirtless part LOL).

Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
In addition to calling the police EVERY time they are overly obnoxious, I would contact the local Housing Authority that issued their Section vouchers.

Take pictures, make notes of dates, times, incidents on a regular basis. If you are seeing a lot of 10 and 15 minute "visits" by numerous people, report "possible suspicious activity" as well.

Section 8 vouchers from the government do not give them the right to overload the home beyond code, or to disturb the neighborhood with offensive and loud behaviour (and I'm not counting the shirtless part LOL).
Thanks, but how do I begin to find out which local Housing Authority issued their vouchers. They probably transferred it from out of state since I hear they can do that. I guess there is no 'general' section 8 number to call to report possible suspicious activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting