Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4a5s View Post
My condo is decorated in "2nd Life Finds". Some things I've even given as gifts (like the perfect Keurig coffee maker). I'm 75 and not a hoarder, but can't let something that has a future be thrown in a dumpster bin to be crushed.

Well, my condo Board has decided I am posing a danger to myself (?!?) by getting things out of the bin even sent Family Services to my place to see if I was in my right mind!!! The investigator apologized over and over to me but that he had to check it out!!!! Now, I'm being further harassed by the Board (actually one member that just waits for me to do something wrong) because they got the Assn Atty. to send me a cease and desist letter!!! It's MY dumpster area (we have 5 in our Condo community) and I can't retrieve anything anymore????

So as an owner, I am told to quit "tresspassing" or there will be further action by them.

What do you all think???
They have a point because it is on private property. If you want to dumpster dive go to a public street, far away from your neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 02:45 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,953 times
Mr. Daynet and I dumpster dive in the dumpster behind a local thrift shop all the time, and we aren't the only ones.

We have found some really unique items in that dumpster.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:45 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,921 times
mostly those people are after cans, but i still dont like it.

to combat people opening the bags i toss in, i'll throw away some type of liquid right before i close the bag.

my complex has changed the type of dumpster we have because there would be a line of people trying to get in the dumpsters. now, you cant get in them.

its not profitable, you have to look for cans ALL DAY every day to make any money. but in the words of those people "i want to be my own boss"

some of them look down on regular people which is odd considering they look homeless and they're the ones diving into trash heaps.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:45 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
by the way, on the news there was a woman who died because she got her hand caught in the dumpster, and she died. this was the kind of donation box dumpster where you are supposed to put things in and not take stuff out. The mechanism caught her arm and she died shortly after.. guess she stayed there too long and maybe got dehydrated or something.. but she died. it was on the news not too long ago. Obviously she was trying to pull things from inside there and that's what happened to her.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,243 times
What kind of stuff do they toss?

Old 06-05-2018, 07:17 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearden05 View Post
What kind of stuff do they toss?
Garbage.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:22 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Years ago, I was helping relatives out for a while with their office cleaning business and was cleaning an office late at night. When I finished, I trundled the large rolling wastebin out behind the building to empty it into the dumpster.

As I tipped it over the low side into the dumpster, someone in there yelled "HEY!!!". I jumped about a mile into the air. It was a man sitting in there pawing though the dumpster. Scared me nearly to death.

Dumpsters have given me the creeps ever since.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
mostly those people are after cans, but i still dont like it.

to combat people opening the bags i toss in, i'll throw away some type of liquid right before i close the bag.

my complex has changed the type of dumpster we have because there would be a line of people trying to get in the dumpsters. now, you cant get in them.

its not profitable, you have to look for cans ALL DAY every day to make any money. but in the words of those people "i want to be my own boss"

some of them look down on regular people which is odd considering they look homeless and they're the ones diving into trash heaps.
I mean, why begrudge them your trash? Plus they're obvs taking them to recycling, instead of going to the landfill from your dumpster, so really, they're doing all of us a favor.

I never understand why people feel so proud of making someone else's life more difficult, especially when they haven't even been wronged in the first place

Old 06-06-2018, 05:44 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I know a guy who makes a decent living dumpster diving. He finds things, repairs, refinishes and repurposes. He also makes art. That's his " job" and he's able to live in a pretty nice neighborhood and pay his bills.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:11 AM

453 posts, read 410,589 times
I’ve only see one instance of actual dumpster diving, but we moved recently, and have a gentleman who comes along weekly after folks put their recycling and trash out to see if there is anything to take.

He has never left even a trace of mess or that he was even there. We used to save cans in our basement to take in for a few bucks, but don’t have time or really the room anymore. Since we figured out what this guy was doing, we started to separate the cans and any other metal so he has easy access to it.

He doesn’t bother us, or make a mess. We let him do his thing and usually have at least a couple bucks worth of cans and bottles and other things each week set aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting