Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 18,805 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My sister and I are occupying 2 rooms of a 4 bedroom house. One of the roommates has made comments about my chest before, and "playfully" smacked my sister's butt. Last week mid-conversation he grabbed her chest. We both feel extremely uncomfortable in the living situation and want to leave. Our lease magically disappeared from the kitchen drawer, I've spoken to the landlord and she will get back to me. I am assuming that like most year leases we will be held liable for the remaining months of rent unless we find another tenant (which we have already started looking for). We're only three months in and between the two of us that would amount to over 8,000 - an amount impossible for us to manage.
Is there any way to expedite the process or any legal precedent for breaking a lease under these circumstances?
Thanks,
KP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
you dont run.. you DO call the cops and press charges for sexual harassment and touching on the idiot roomie .. cops arrest roomie and you get free restraining order .. roomie leaves .. end of problem ..
that will save you money and take care of the problem as well .. easy enough? good luck

and before any one tells me thats to extreme fergitit.. the roomie had no right to touch or grab so getting arrested and charged with it is fair and earned .. Girls have to stand up for them selves in life and not be victimized like this ..
so Miss dont run fight back legally ..

Last edited by Faworki1947; 10-27-2009 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
I'm in agreement with previous post, its considered more than sexual
harassment, he touched you, thats a sex offense. If a court decides
theres enough to go on for a case to hold up in court, he'll have to leave.

If you decide that this isn't the route you want to take, your LL can give
you a copy of the lease and you'll be penalized with early termination unless
you and the LL can come to another agreement, I'd get whatever that
is in writing w/signature and date.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:48 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Well after I knocked the crap out of him with a frying pan I would also call the police and make out a report. Notify LL in writing.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 AM

3 posts, read 18,805 times
I appreciate the advice, and while I totally agree with you, it would strictly be her word against his in a relatively minor offense. She didn't tell me about it until a few days later and now it has been more than a week. If I were to call a policeman to this house right now I can almost guarantee that no justice would come of it other than a stern talking to and further irritation between people who have to live together for however long this drags on.
I will definitely speak to my landlord about it, she seems sympathetic. I really just have a strong distaste for this place now and would prefer to leave as soon as possible. I'll remember to get our agreement in writing. We've had a good relationship up to this point so hopefully we can work something out.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:18 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
Coming form a man , I'd say team up on him and kick his a$$.
I mean beat him up badly , maybe slip a tad of skunk essence into his food.
Habaneros in his body wash , find one of those little catfish that will swim into his genitalia , or something. Because if you do nothing , it'll only escalate until he tries to rape one of you. Sorry for laying it out like this , but that's what most men who do bull***** like that are thinking - groping you two in an attempt at arousal or something. Show that muthafu<>^ no mercy!!
I know this may sound gay but this is coming from someone who likes women but sets boundaries. Apparently this dude is either young , mentally deficient , or a heavy drinker/drug user. I'm telling you - hit him with tranquilizers , and inflict SERIOUS injury upon him.

It is the only way men and women will be equalized , because given the way things are now , it'll take a near extinction of our species for any kind of rationality or equality - where EVERYONE is treated equal - to happen!!

Keep your heads up and sleep with one eye open!!
PEACE!!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I'm somewhat confused that your sister didn't say something to this roommate when the incident happened. She should have made it perfectly clear right then that such behavior was totally unacceptable and that if he tried anything like that again she would take further action.

I'm absolutely not condoning his behavior or actions but this is the real world and you have to stick up for yourselves. If you don't address the basic problem then moving is only a Band-Aid. If you don't respect yourselves enough to stick up for yourselves you could end up in a similar situation down the line.

Why don't you and your sister enroll in a self-defense class. Flip a guy who touches you, throw in a well-placed groin kick and he's not likely to try it again!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kparis View Post
I appreciate the advice, and while I totally agree with you, it would strictly be her word against his in a relatively minor offense. She didn't tell me about it until a few days later and now it has been more than a week. If I were to call a policeman to this house right now I can almost guarantee that no justice would come of it other than a stern talking to and further irritation between people who have to live together for however long this drags on.
I will definitely speak to my landlord about it, she seems sympathetic. I really just have a strong distaste for this place now and would prefer to leave as soon as possible. I'll remember to get our agreement in writing. We've had a good relationship up to this point so hopefully we can work something out.
I think that statement (in the bold) says a lot right there. You let this incident go as minor; things are only going to escalate. If you cut and run now, what's going to happen in the future if this kind of thing happens again?
I'm with everyone else here.....by any means necessary let it be known that behavior of this sort will not be tolerated.....right now your roommate does not take you seriously because you don't take yourself seriously

Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kparis View Post
Hello,
My sister and I are occupying 2 rooms of a 4 bedroom house. One of the roommates has made comments about my chest before, and "playfully" smacked my sister's butt. Last week mid-conversation he grabbed her chest. We both feel extremely uncomfortable in the living situation and want to leave. Our lease magically disappeared from the kitchen drawer, I've spoken to the landlord and she will get back to me. I am assuming that like most year leases we will be held liable for the remaining months of rent unless we find another tenant (which we have already started looking for). We're only three months in and between the two of us that would amount to over 8,000 - an amount impossible for us to manage.
Is there any way to expedite the process or any legal precedent for breaking a lease under these circumstances?
Thanks,
KP
Wait, let me get this straight...you chose to move in with this person, yet your last sentence suggests you want to stick the landlord and not pay the fee to break the lease. Tough cookies, it's not the landlord's fault you chose to move in with a predator. You'll have to pay whatever you're legally responsible for in order to move out.

On the flip side, your roommate assaulted one of you and you didn't call the police and have him arrested? Why the f**k not? Don't be a passive p*ssy...call the freaking cops and swear out a complaint.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Wait, let me get this straight...you chose to move in with this person, yet your last sentence suggests you want to stick the landlord and not pay the fee to break the lease. Tough cookies, it's not the landlord's fault you chose to move in with a predator. You'll have to pay whatever you're legally responsible for in order to move out.

On the flip side, your roommate assaulted one of you and you didn't call the police and have him arrested? Why the f**k not? Don't be a passive p*ssy...call the freaking cops and swear out a complaint.
The one sister didn't immediately object to the male tenant commenting on her chest size or subsequently slapping her on the butt.

The other sister apparently didn't immediately complain to the male tenant/room-mate who grabbed her breasts (see my previous post).

The roomie isn't necessarily a predator and probably far from it - just a basic doofus who thought that his grabbing hi-jinks were just fine. That the girl who hasn't learned to make her boundaries clear (and her sister) now feel she was assaulted and wants to find a reason for getting out of the lease is simply asinine.

With all due respect for conflicting viewpoints, life in the real world is fraught with inconsistencies and perils but not everything is either a lawsuit or cause for calling 911 or your direct line to your local PD over every little thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting