Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 02:30 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm posting this for a friend of mine who is renting an apartment in one of the Denver suburbs.

Basically what is happening here is that the apartment complex he lives in had some kind of water line break a few weeks back. The plumbers were called and the water was shut off for most of the day while repairs were made. As far as my friend knows, this effected everyone in his building, which has roughly 10 units.

Now as I understand it, tenants of this complex pay their water and trash service bills directly to the complex, along with their rent. The bill for the water/trash services runs around $40 a month, give or take, based on their water consumption. The rent itself is just under $600 a month.

Anyways, today my friend goes to pay his rent and they inform him that the bill is $730 dollars. Demanding an explanation, he is informed that everyone's water bill will be higher for the next couple months due to the water line breaking. The apartment complex is essentially dividing the increased cost among all the tenants.

Obviously this has my friend very upset, and I'm hoping someone here can tell us whether or not this apartment complex's actions are legal. My gut says it's not, but I would appreciate a solid legal opinion.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:21 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
That sounds totally bogus to me. Not sure if it is technically illegal or not, but definitely not the ethical thing to do by the landlord. I would fight it if I were the tenant. The landlord can't charge repairs to the tenants that weren't caused by damage from the tenant. Even if it said in their lease that they could, that might not even be a legal clause to have in some areas.

On the other hand, if the bill is only $90 more a month for a couple of months, it might not be worth the legal bill to fight it, unless the tenants all got together and split the legal bill.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 AM

Good point.

I was thinking he should contact his local TV stations if they have those consumer protection segments. That might be an easier route.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:26 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Yeah, that could be another possible alternative.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
City-Data is not the place for Legal Advice... with that said, your friend has every right to an explanation of the 3 fold increase for trash and water...

Maintaining pipes is generally not a tenant responsibility or is the added cost...

One option is to pay the bill under protest and then make a formal demand to the Landlord...

Once the demand is made, you have the option to file in small claims if you don't agree with the answer or if there is not answer...

Something sounds off... are you certain part of the increase is not a rent increase?

Old 10-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Something sounds off... are you certain part of the increase is not a rent increase?
He was told by the apartment office that the increase was due to the water line break. I'm not sure if the cost is for the water that was wasted when the line broke, repair costs or what.

If it was a rent increase I'd be less worried. He's only a few months into his lease so he's got some time before they can try to jack the rent on him.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:05 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
He was told by the apartment office that the increase was due to the water line break. I'm not sure if the cost is for the water that was wasted when the line broke, repair costs or what.

If it was a rent increase I'd be less worried. He's only a few months into his lease so he's got some time before they can try to jack the rent on him.
Is the water cost fixed, or does he pay for usage from the state(or whoever)? If he pays for his usage I'd imagine they can get in some big trouble for trying to over charge him, maybe you can report him to the water authority(or whatever its called).

Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Is the water cost fixed, or does he pay for usage from the state(or whoever)? If he pays for his usage I'd imagine they can get in some big trouble for trying to over charge him, maybe you can report him to the water authority(or whatever its called).
He pays for his usage.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 PM

Bump.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,468 times
The only way your friend is going to get a "solid legal opinion" is to consult with an attorney. Like Ultrarunner said, CD is not a place for legal advice. And even if it was it would be impossible for anyone to do so without seeing the lease. Initial consultations with attorneys are generally free - couldn't hurt for him to at least give that a try first. A letter to the landlord (sent certified, of course) outlining the outcome of the meeting with the attorney might be of help...if nothing else, to let the LL know that he's willing to fight having to pay the extra. And if he decides to pursue legal avenues maybe all of the tenants would be willing to help pony up any fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting