Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 AM

7 posts, read 22,278 times

Advertisements

We won't be able to sell our house as fast as we would like in our next move and I have a service dog. How do I handle this while looking for a home when all I am finding is no pets? I know by law I cannot be refused that she is not a pet but how do I broach the subject with each house I enquire about? I am not looking forward to this and this is why I have owned each home as each relocation as come along. I hate this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 AM

18,125 posts, read 11,759,576 times
If you can provide papers from your doctors regarding your health condition and the dog's certified papers, it's all that is required from you. Providing proof, none can disagree with you.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:07 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,164,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
If you can provide papers from your doctors regarding your health condition and the dog's certified papers, it's all that is required from you. Providing proof, none can disagree with you.

Couldn't a landlord find some other excuse to deny the applicant? I'm certainly not suggesting this - it's just that I've read so many posts on this forum from landlords that have issues with animals in the house (and many are legitimate reasons - even the most well-behaved animal could cause more wear and tear than normal). I'm curious how landlords feel about this. Most service dogs are larger breeds, too.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
As a landlord it would not be an issue for me. Now what I would do is not say anything to your new landlord and then play dumb by saying it is a services dog so I did not think it mattered.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:35 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Offer additional money for a pet deposit. Explain to them that you are a home owner so you understand how important it is to keep the place in good shape. Explain to them that it is a service dog and how well trained the dog is. Some landlords will be OK with it and some won't. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Whether a LL is "okay with it" or not, they cannot discriminate against a person with a service animal unless they enjoy being the subject of a formal complaint or even a lawsuit. There is no reason to pay any additional deposit either.

Just be upfront saying you have a service dog and produce whatever paperwork you have.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Service pets are an exemption, a knowledgeable LL will not disqualify,
although the applicant could be disqualified for a reason such as credit history.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 AM

I do know it is illegal for business owners to even ask why I need a service dog when I enter businesses. My dog is a service animal and is marked clearly as one when she is working and I have never had a problem anywhere I have gone. She alerts me to my sugar levels so I do not pass out and helps me with injured permenentantly leg for balance. She is bathed weekly and is trained better than 98 percent of children to behave properly in public and a home.

Service dogs must be in attendance at your side all the time they are not left to destroy unwatched and they must be clean and free of any shedding hair at all times for going out in the public.

I want to add I have owned and sold three homes and would never rent them out period. People destroy rental properties and I am proud to say I have left every rental I have lived in cleaner and better cared for than when I arrived.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Tihs is interesting as I am diabetic and even with sensors and pumps I sometimes go really dangerously low blood sugar. Didn't even know there were blood sugar service dogs. Please tell us more. And I'm so glad your companion could possibly save your life.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:57 AM

A dog with the right temperment and drive can easily be taught to alert you. I was out one day and felt fine and next thing I knew I was disorinted and passing out I was on proper meds and diet everything I was supossed to do and I had wandered off into the crowd in a seperate part of the home show thatn my husband. Thankfully my eldest was with me and was able to take care of me and got me juice and boosted back up. I work from home and a great fear of my husband has always been what happens if the above happened with no one here but me.

A diabetes dog can alert you and keep you down so you dont get dizzy and crack your head falling. They can alert you to med times so never will you miss a check or med. They can bring you glucose when you are unable to get to it. They can tell you when sugar is too high. They can dial 911 for you when you have slipped beyond dangerously and are unresponsive. They are a recognised service dog under all federal protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting