Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,803 times

Advertisements

I am curently renting an appartment in a duplex with my landloard living on the other side. In the last month things have gotten hostile. I live ther with just my to kids 19 and 18. He has horrased my 19 year old daughter and had her extremly up set i had to rush up and had to talk to her my whole way home. He has ramed the back door with a bag of garbabge and broke the door. We call the cops and had it documented. That same night he pounded on the door for almost a half hour. After these actions I decided to start look for new places because me and my childern are not safe. Yesterday he turned off the hot water and the heat that I pay for sepretly and is not included in the rent. There is no lease invloved because he chose not to make one after the first year. We told him due to not feeling safe we will be moving by next month and that we wish to use the sucirty despoit as the last months rent. After we told him we were going to move he said that he wont give it back, so I said thats last months rent. We arnt able to stay home long anyway becaus eof no hot water and heat. I just got all my fuel tanks filled in the end of december so they are full also. Today he tried to enter the apparntment when he thought we were gone. He also had plans on kicking us out after we payed this months rent .I was wondering if anyone could tell use how we could handle this situation keeping me and my childern safe aslo as keeping monatary sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Number of issues... maybe he is off his meds?

Constructive Eviction is illegal everywhere I know.

You might apply for a restraining order if he gets physical...

I'm not a lawyer... many places have low-cost or free legal aid.

The Building Department and Code Compliance would investigate no heat/no hot water where I live.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
turning off your heat in the winter in most states is illegal - even if the landlord pays for it. Do what the above poster says and call Building Dept tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandons12083 View Post
I am curently renting an appartment in a duplex with my landloard living on the other side. In the last month things have gotten hostile. I live ther with just my to kids 19 and 18. He has horrased my 19 year old daughter and had her extremly up set i had to rush up and had to talk to her my whole way home. He has ramed the back door with a bag of garbabge and broke the door. We call the cops and had it documented. That same night he pounded on the door for almost a half hour. After these actions I decided to start look for new places because me and my childern are not safe. Yesterday he turned off the hot water and the heat that I pay for sepretly and is not included in the rent. There is no lease invloved because he chose not to make one after the first year. We told him due to not feeling safe we will be moving by next month and that we wish to use the sucirty despoit as the last months rent. After we told him we were going to move he said that he wont give it back, so I said thats last months rent. We arnt able to stay home long anyway becaus eof no hot water and heat. I just got all my fuel tanks filled in the end of december so they are full also. Today he tried to enter the apparntment when he thought we were gone. He also had plans on kicking us out after we payed this months rent .I was wondering if anyone could tell use how we could handle this situation keeping me and my childern safe aslo as keeping monatary sound.
File charges of breaking and entering, and it's off to jail for this scumbucket landlord!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Contact Code Enforcement, give the LL no warning.
He must provide heat until you leave. In the event that he should file
in small claims court, you have in hand police report and Code Enforcement documentation.

Quote:

Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
The LL's actions are illegal. But using your deposit for last month's rent is also illegal in most places. Getting any redress through restraining orders or code enforcement are legitimate ways to assert your rights--but they are also time consuming.

If you are moving out at the end of the month anyway, just move and be done with it. It isn't worth the stress of pursuing action after you've moved out. A restraining order, in particular, is problematic since the LL lives next door and would have legitimate reasons to be on the property and to enter the unit. If you want heat and hot water turned back on in the meantime, and those services are in your name, then call the utility company and have them turned back on! A utility company cannot cancel service on the direction of anyone other than the account holder.

Perhaps the LL is off his meds, but I'm guessing this is simply an escalation of a situation that has been going on for a while, and is likely not all one-sided. The latter situation complicates things considerably.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If you want heat and hot water turned back on in the meantime, and those services are in your name, then call the utility company and have them turned back on! A utility company cannot cancel service on the direction of anyone other than the account holder.
It would be a twist if the Landlord transferred the utilities into his name...

The Utility companies here will transfer with just a phone call and quick credit check... they won't talk to anyone about the account unless it is the person listed... not even the owner

Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,713 times
Quote:
Forget the deposit. do not pay the rent, just leave, thats what he wants anyway and that why he has gone crazy on you.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
you just had your fuel tanks filled? OIL HEAT? umm call the oil company who delived it and ask if they can pull the oil .. all the other issues say call the cops and press charges on the guy .. LL or not he cant do the crap he is doing .. yes move but take your paid for oil with you or sell it back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting