Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I think it has 112,000 miles? We just drove it yesterday. That car can GO!! It is in really good shape on the outside. But since she parks it out in front of her house, the paint on the top is faded no biggie. She has all the paperwork from 1995 when she originally got it! She did get the transmission redone a couple of years ago and she said the engine light comes on every now and then, but nobody can figure out why??? Also, it needs the inspection sticker and two tires in the front. But I figure I won't be able to get a good car for $1,500 anywhere in this area that is not all banged up. She really does take good care of her things.
Is it burning any oil at startup or during turbo boost? Just curious...

Anyways, sounds like a good deal, Id go for it. Those are good cars and the AWD advantage helps out in the snow if you live in a snowy region of the country. Not to mention it helps you in the rain and win stoplight-to-stoplight drag races too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Bad move. The AWD drivetrain is a complicated system and troublesome. There are very few of these Eagles on the road and few parts available. . .
Are you kidding? Between the Talon, Eclipse and Laser, they made TONS of these cars. A relatively small percentage of them were AWD but there were enough made that parts are plentiful, readily available, AND there's a VERY supportive aftermarket for them. That's why they're a favorite among tuners.

I used to have a Talon TSi with AWD. It was a 1st generation (the first body style and slightly different from the 1995 mechanically) and it served me well. I beat the hell out of that thing and it held up OK, but I had no mods on it. They can be delicate if beaten on too much, and while they are cheap and easy to modify, they don't always hold up well under modifications. For the 2nd generation, there was an issue with crank walk. It didn't happen on very many cars, but when it did, it was an expensive problem. Nowadays it probably wouldn't cost that much to swap in a more durable 1st-generation engine if by rare chance you actually did have a crankwalk problem.

What kind of condition and transmission? Because if the answers are "decent" and "manual," that $2400 asking price is VERY reasonable. I wouldn't try pushing it much lower because she will have no trouble finding a buyer to pay her asking price or very near it. If it's an automatic, you may have some wiggle room but not all the way down to $1200. Frankly if it were my car and you offered me $1200 for it, I'd tell you to go waste someone else's time.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,152,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Are you kidding? Between the Talon, Eclipse and Laser, they made TONS of these cars. A relatively small percentage of them were AWD but there were enough made that parts are plentiful, readily available, AND there's a VERY supportive aftermarket for them. That's why they're a favorite among tuners.

I used to have a Talon TSi with AWD. It was a 1st generation (the first body style and slightly different from the 1995 mechanically) and it served me well. I beat the hell out of that thing and it held up OK, but I had no mods on it. They can be delicate if beaten on too much, and while they are cheap and easy to modify, they don't always hold up well under modifications. For the 2nd generation, there was an issue with crank walk. It didn't happen on very many cars, but when it did, it was an expensive problem. Nowadays it probably wouldn't cost that much to swap in a more durable 1st-generation engine if by rare chance you actually did have a crankwalk problem.

What kind of condition and transmission? Because if the answers are "decent" and "manual," that $2400 asking price is VERY reasonable. I wouldn't try pushing it much lower because she will have no trouble finding a buyer to pay her asking price or very near it. If it's an automatic, you may have some wiggle room but not all the way down to $1200. Frankly if it were my car and you offered me $1200 for it, I'd tell you to go waste someone else's time.
I just gave her $1,500 for it It's an automatic, all leather interior, sunroof, one owner. I guess I got a good deal huh?
Thanks for all the input. I am going to have fun "cleaning it up" this weekend.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
That would have been a steal if it were a manual... but it's still pretty reasonable for an automatic.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:23 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,950,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I just gave her $1,500 for it It's an automatic, all leather interior, sunroof, one owner. I guess I got a good deal huh?
Thanks for all the input. I am going to have fun "cleaning it up" this weekend.
Sounds like a fun car to own. Good luck with it.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,381,484 times
She will probably get more from you/selling it outright compared to trading it in at a dealer. Good deal both ways.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 AM

288 posts, read 1,556,023 times
That was a really good deal. Pics?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,152,527 times
I'll take some pics soon and post them.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
Be aware of the issue of "crankwalk"...an infamous topic in the eclipse message boards. Not sure I would buy one with that many miles unless you are into the tuner scene and have some mechanical ability or a desire to mod.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,428,803 times
I used to own a 1996 one... wish I would have never sold it. Loved that car!! Afterwards we bought a 1999 Ford Mustang, which I loved to, but I liked them both a lot. The Talon got great mpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands