Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:15 AM

21 posts, read 44,511 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good retirement online calculator. One that gives the option to include ss income and spouse info. How accurate are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 AM

107,262 posts, read 109,611,540 times
going forward none may be accurate, things have possibly changed so far from any of the past .. historically they are only a model of what was and i wouldnt call them accurate as much as a guestamate of what would have been . most depend on a certain amount of up markets and down markets to have transpired no matter how they figure it.

traditionally we always had markets up 67% of the time and down 1/3...that hasnt held true now for quite a while.

there are none that reflect the fact that someone who retired in year 2000 will have spent their entire savings in less then 8 years from now unless they grow back some capital over the next few years if they figured inflation adjusted traditional safe withdrawal amounts and made no adjustments along the way for lack of returns... you dont even need a retirement calculator to figure that one out its simple math..

http://www.calcxml.com/do/bud05

... i like firecalc and fidelty investments calculator

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-17-2010 at 06:59 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 07:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 9,230,114 times
Basically there is no way to know if they are accurate as they are all over the map, ie answers vary a great deal...so really, there is no such thing as a " good retirement online calclulator" and frankly I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,228,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there are none that reflect the fact that someone who retired in year 2000 will have spent their entire savings in less then 8 years from now unless they grow back some capital over the next few years if they figured inflation adjusted traditional safe withdrawal amounts and made no adjustments along the way for lack of returns... you dont even need a retirement calculator to figure that one out its simple math..
Nonsense.

Using the calculator from your link I plug in one million dollars, 40k (4% safe withdrawal) with 0% returns and cost of living increasing 3% per year. It says my money will run out in 18.1 years. Hell even thinking in your head 40k x 8 years = 320k, even accounting for increases for cost of living it's obvious you're not going to blow a million in eight years using a 4% withdrawal rate.

In fact it says that withdrawing $8k/month (96k annually) from a million with 3% inflation adjustments will last over nine years. Where get this < 8 years for safe rate bunk?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 AM

31,692 posts, read 41,135,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Nonsense.

Using the calculator from your link I plug in one million dollars, 40k (4% safe withdrawal) with 0% returns and cost of living increasing 3% per year. It says my money will run out in 18.1 years.
And there in is the source of the future retirement crisis. Risk of future returns on the shoulders of each individual vs risk spread over the many.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,228,364 times
Actually I get it he was saying 8 years from now, not in 8 years. That makes more sense.

8 years I was thinkin wtf?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM

5,643 posts, read 25,011,247 times
I have used a number of calculators and some take more interpretation than others but in my experience none of them account for the inflation rate of health care or the fact you may need more health care as you get older.

This may not be of great concern for those of you that have a plan provided by an organization but it is a staggering issue for others in the years before Medicare. Our family health care costs are ten times greater than they were at retirement.

We all know than the industry and plans are changing in the coming years but it is unknown what the real impact to individual finances will be in the future.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Nonsense.

Using the calculator from your link I plug in one million dollars, 40k (4% safe withdrawal) with 0% returns and cost of living increasing 3% per year. It says my money will run out in 18.1 years. Hell even thinking in your head 40k x 8 years = 320k, even accounting for increases for cost of living it's obvious you're not going to blow a million in eight years using a 4% withdrawal rate.

In fact it says that withdrawing $8k/month (96k annually) from a million with 3% inflation adjustments will last over nine years. Where get this < 8 years for safe rate bunk?
oops, i see you figured it out.... i was going to say to read it again....

Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,145,307 times
Another good retirement calculator is AARP! Personnally think that although none really has all the answers that they do ask the right questions to get you thinking in the proper way. Worked many calcuators before I retired and glad I did!

Not using any calculators because they cannot give you all the answers is kind of like burying your head in the sand instead of trying to find out if there could be problems ahead. Better to have your figures a little off than retiring without a clue and blowing your entire retirement egg in the first few years and trying to replace for the rest of your life!

Then think conservatively~ I'd rather die early an lave some to my kids than figure I'll die early and live in poverty for a lot of my retirement~ so far I'm doing fine but got a lot of retirement living left I hope!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:27 AM

heres yet another reason the results from these calculators can be questionable. it would be interesting to see what his way of thinking calculates for those poor folks that retired this decade and have blown tthru savings like wild fire based on the results of the popular calculators telling them it was just fine to take the swr that they took and they had plenty of money to do so..

the reason im so interested in that group is because thats the group nearest and dearest to my own up coming retirement and i dont believe we will have years and years of double digit stock market returns like we did the past decades to help save our nest eggs. my best guess is we will see higher inflation and lower real returns at least for my retirement period...

theres no margin for what if im wrong here ....your playing and guessing with your pay check.

Today

this is what he says is wrong

http://knol.google.com/k/rob-bennett...5zzbysw7pgd/5#

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-18-2010 at 04:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement