Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times

Advertisements

I have 85 more days to retirement...53 more "working days", and to be very honest, I now have to force myself to come to work and do my job every day. I don't hate my job at all, but it's as if I just have no interest in it...so why bother? I don't like feeling this way but my mind is everywhere except at work! Is this normal???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 AM

152 posts, read 616,532 times
I hear you. Still have 175 calendar days to my retirement and although I am still motivated to do a good job, I have to drag myself from bed every morning to como to work. There are a lot of things that have to be done before I "leap" into retirement and one is to keep up making money for a few more months.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM

33 posts, read 93,591 times
Amen to that! I have 294 days to retirement and although I've worked at my job for almost 30 years, I cannot bear the thought of coming in here any more. I cannot stay focused and all I want to do is read this blog and research retirement issues.

Although with the state of the economy, I am fearing having to delay my departure for another year. How will I cope?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM

Yeah, the economy thing is worrisome, but staying longer won't really benefit me that much...if at all. Just what it costs me in gas to drive to and from work is reason enough to stop. I think I am just "tired". I am 62 now, very healthy and active but mentally "tired" of the work-a-day world. Someone once told me that I would "know" when it was time to retire...and I guess I just "know".

Old 10-09-2008, 04:12 PM

298 posts, read 704,376 times
I've been retired 3 years now after 30 years at a high-stress job which required me to go out and investigate situations in peoples' homes. I was usually not expected or welcomed given the issues involved. I didn't hate my job either but do remember that the last three months I worked were the most stress-free. It was good to know I didn't have to deal with difficult or dangerous folks anymore. So enjoy your last days-retirement is WONDERFUL!!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks alle! I work in law enforcement so I can imagine your stressors! Glad to know I have great times to look forward to!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Wink Absolutely Normal Feelings!

You are in the process of psychologically terminating with the job. Its very natural and also necessary. Its impossible to just work one day and be gone the next, without these feelings and be glad you are working this thru now. In addition, the people at work are also terminating with you. They are less interested in you now and have other things on their minds. This is a process that really must happen whenever you have a natural leavetaking. Its good mental health !

Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
That is normasl now that it is becoming less important in your life. I actaully fpound it refreshing in that I was always one who steadily hit it at work.I actaully noticed alot at work that I had ignore before especailly about the epole I worked with.I actaully found the people I woreked with being extremely nice to me and wanting to do more lunches together.Many said some very nice things to me about having worked with me that I really appreciated. Since I retired they have called to invite me to alot of company functions and really made me glad I worked here I did.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 AM

33 posts, read 93,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
You are in the process of psychologically terminating with the job. Its very natural and also necessary. Its impossible to just work one day and be gone the next, without these feelings and be glad you are working this thru now. In addition, the people at work are also terminating with you. They are less interested in you now and have other things on their minds. This is a process that really must happen whenever you have a natural leavetaking. Its good mental health !
Thanks for the advice PhxBarb. Now that I think of it, we have a lot of changes going on at work and my co-workers are continually saying to me, "You don't have to worry about that -- you'll be gone." As if I can't feel their pain .

Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 AM

67 posts, read 157,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernatheart View Post
Thanks for the advice PhxBarb. Now that I think of it, we have a lot of changes going on at work and my co-workers are continually saying to me, "You don't have to worry about that -- you'll be gone." As if I can't feel their pain .
I have just 23 working days (51 calendar days) and I have found myself really trying to turn off the caring so much attitude. There are lots of changes going on right now at work and I am finding it just a bit challenging to stay focused on what I need to get done and not get too involved it the changes. I just wanted nothing to change until after I left but guess that didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement