Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,183,772 times

Advertisements

You can post them on myfamily.com or some other site with your family tree..amazing stuff you can find there - maybe somebody can even ID them for you.

Also there may be family facebook sites, I am just not aware of them - but seems it would be easy to set up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,254,137 times
Smile Old Pictures

My mother just passed away this year but one of my treasures has been going through all the pictures. Twenty years ago, I probably wouldn't have felt the same way but time has a way of doing that to you.

I love having the old pictures - I even have some from the 1800's - but I have found out so much about her that I did not know. I wish she had gone through them with me.

A lot of them were stored away (nicely done) for years and years.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
My dad has been converting the 16mm movies we have to DVD's has given each kid a set of DVD's with family vacations, holidays, school sports, plays etc... its great to have. As for the thousands of slides & prints he has not tackeled that one yet.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:41 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
We did cull the many Xmas trees.....one from 1964 doesn't end up looking much different than the one from 1991....those vacations shots of a road sign taken from a moving car window.....locale shots with an indistinguisable person in front of a fountain, others with no persons in them especially.
Offered whatever ones they wanted to the kids and grandkids then threw the rest out.
We've saved many that we still refer back to for various reasons but know the kids won't be interested in them either, when we're gone.
We have not regretted, at all, any of the dozens and dozens that have been discarded.

The photos from my parents house.....some from back in the 1800's ...wre fun to go through and mom had diligently identified most of the people in them.
Bless her for that...it's great finding out what long gone never met great Aunt Millie looked like.
But even those, we only kept a representative number of.

Go through with a strangers eyes.If you'd say "What's that supposed to be" or "Who 's that?" or "Damn...that's the 20th shot of that dog".....get rid of it

Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,731,276 times
Scanning is an excellent option. If you have a multifunction printer that also scans it should send scans to a paint/photo program. When I did ours (About 2000 images of pictures documents, etc) I would lay as many as 8 items on the platen (legal size scanner) and scan them all at once. I then separated the pictures by using copy/paste as new in the software and saved each one separately.

Once you get into a rhythm it doesn't take that long.

If this is an option post that it is and I'll help you through it.

Buying a printer/scanner might cost less than paying to have each one scanned at a store, it will certainly take less time.

BTW I mailed a copy of the CD to anyone in the family that wanted one.

And I 2nd (3rd, 4th?) writing the information on the back. Use a soft pencil NO INK!! The largest folder on the CD I sent was Unknown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement