Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 PM

183 posts, read 352,744 times

Advertisements

I was just telling my kids that I plan to spend every red cent before I die. If my parents are generous enough to leave me anything, I am going to spend that too. They'll be lucky to get a used care and some furniture.

On another board there was a thread about some people asking others opinions on paying for college and giving money to their adult children. the mentioned something like planning to give each kid $100,000 to help them. They refereed to it as extra money. Huh? Take you "extra" money and buy a cruise around the world, a new Lamborghini, or just give it to me. What the heck is extra money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,016,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Should I go first, my wife will retain all my income but lose her Social Security, per se, because mine is more. She'd retain the house and all our possessions but my best guess is that she'd sell and move back to California where her children are. Either way we'd each be fine.
Curmudge, I'm not sure but I think a spouse gets all of her own SS or half (not all!) of her husband's whichever is greater. Am I correct or did I read the SS rules wrong?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:23 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,390,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There are alot fo people that didn;t wrooy about the future and lettting it take care of itsself. Most are regretting it now.
worring doesnt solve anything it only stresses you out ,remember Alfred E. Newman......What Me Worry?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,953,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
worring doesnt solve anything it only stresses you out ,remember Alfred E. Newman......What Me Worry?
I can agree with that by adding one word to it: Worring alone doesn't solve anything; it only stresses you out. But if the worrying leads to action to address the source of the worry, then that eliminates the stress and pays huge dividends down the road.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,066,464 times
The rpoblem with plannig to die broke si that you are proably going to live in poverty the last years of your life .

Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,691,160 times
Quote:
The rpoblem with plannig to die broke si that you are proably going to live in poverty the last years of your life .
Doesn't have to be that way..just don't plan around leaving piles of cash in your estate.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 AM

357 posts, read 1,021,689 times
you can live like a king just everything you have belong to the creditors. Look at Trump at once point of his life his net asset is neg., if he die at that time i would call die broke.
President Jefferson, Madison if i remember correctly after his death they had sell all estate to pay creditors

Quote:

Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,242,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Can't remember who said it but here's a plan:

You know you've handled your finances well in life if, when you die, the check that is written for the undertaker bounces!
I heard that on a radio once .

The announcer stated he got calls from angry morticians in the area afterwards .

Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 AM

107,237 posts, read 109,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
you can live like a king just everything you have belong to the creditors. Look at Trump at once point of his life his net asset is neg., if he die at that time i would call die broke.
President Jefferson, Madison if i remember correctly after his death they had sell all estate to pay creditors
his corporate balance sheet may be negative but i bet his personal one is very very different.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 PM

183 posts, read 352,744 times
Quote:
The problem with planning to die broke is that you are probably going to live in poverty the last years of your life .
Obviously its a fine line. I think the gist is not to plan on dying with a major part of your portfolio untouched, especially if it is planned for no purpose but leaving it to your kids. Either plan to utilize it for your own purposes or give it to your kids now so you can see them enjoy it.

My dad came into a few hundred thousand dollars a couple of years back. he had a modest pension from the USPS, but now he is able to buy and do things he couldn't before. He didn't go hog wild, but spent some of it on extravagances (for him) like a new TV, new furniture, new truck, etc. He also planned for the future, like putting enough away for a new truck in 10 years, got some dental work done, etc. He gave me and my sister each a significant amount and continues to give us a little here and there. He just enjoys being able to help us out a little and it has helped with braces for the kids, some home improvements, etc. He is happy to do it.

My grandmother on my moms side is a millionaire. Owns 8 rental houses, owns a condo in Hawaii, a 3500 SQ house in the swank part of town, and sold her business and another condo in Hawaii recently. She never gives it away. It just sits there. When she dies she will have the whole estate liquidated and given to here surviving children (my aunt died a couple of years back). She will die a rich woman, but she worked until she was 88 and has never really enjoyed her wealth. She would go to Hawaii and spend a week hanging wall paper and painting her condos. She could have retired in style, but just never did. Now she is bitter and angry and way too old to enjoy her money and while my mom and uncle could have benefited greatly from gifts, she never gave them anything and never did anything with it. She will never enjoy that money, neither will she see anyone else enjoy it.

I think those examples personify the Die Broke idea. I will not shower my kids with extravagant gifts, but I will help them out as needed, to get through a rough spot, whatever. But we will definitely enjoy our modest retirement and we won't leave a fortune behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement