Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,007,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree. There is peace of mind in knowing I won't ever have to depend on someone else to pay my bills or keep a roof over my head. I will be fine if I die without an estate to pass on to heirs, but I do not want them to ever have to pay my bills while I am alive and I do not want to die owning anyone a penny. What kind of person wants to die and deprive someone else (creditors of any type) money that was borrowed or owed for services? That is unethical behavior.
Well, in truth any one of us could die at any moment, owing some amount of money to someone...the oil or gas bill, a car or mortgage or credit card payment, etc. If one has set up a durable power of attorney to take care of any outstanding debts at death, then that's essentially the same as dying without debt. It's the failure to have a plan to pay off post-mortem debt that would be an ethical problem, for some anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,310,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, in truth any one of us could die at any moment, owing some amount of money to someone...,,, set up a durable power of attorney to take care of any outstanding debts at death, ... an ethical problem, for some anyway.

Always keep a plan to pay off personal debt, especially to friends and relatives.
My parent had a very severe stroke at age 49, and I inherited $100k+ personal / family debt at age 18 + got to be a caregiver for the next 32 yrs. Life insurance was of no value cuz parent was institutionalized (~10 yrs) until well enough to come home. Needed disability insurance, or a policy to at least cover the outstanding personal debt in the event of disability.

The "Die Broke" book theme... is not literal. It is more about planning in such a way you are not saddled with a J-O-B just to save more money than you really need before pulling the plug.

For some... the theme is 'freeing', for others.... they have a higher need for 'security' and are best to continue working for 'the-man'... preferably in a pensionable position.

Be prudent about dying, especially if you are leaving behind a spouse or family.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 PM

7,070 posts, read 6,336,981 times
I feel sad for those that think it would be great to leave debt. It took me until I was not able to do anything before I declared bankruptcy. I tried so hard and actually had my credit cards down to next to nothing. It was my mortgage that killed me. Being laid off and not able to find a job destroyed me. I tried so hard to work with the bank and they wouldn't do anything for me.

I was so proud of our Attorney General who sued the banks on our behalf and I at least got some of my funds back.

But it really hurt me to do it. I have a high moral code and the top of the list is the golden rule.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,612,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, in truth any one of us could die at any moment, owing some amount of money to someone...the oil or gas bill, a car or mortgage or credit card payment, etc. If one has set up a durable power of attorney to take care of any outstanding debts at death, then that's essentially the same as dying without debt. It's the failure to have a plan to pay off post-mortem debt that would be an ethical problem, for some anyway.
Yes. Bills are paid when the estate is settled and that is exactly what I meant, lol.

I was objecting to the philosophy of owing thousands without the assets/resources to settle up the debt through the estate, and I was especially thinking about this sad fact: funeral home directors often have a difficult time recovering even a portion of their expenses. That statement about the check to the funeral home bouncing . . . that is not amusing to me, at all.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,612,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I feel sad for those that think it would be great to leave debt. It took me until I was not able to do anything before I declared bankruptcy. I tried so hard and actually had my credit cards down to next to nothing. It was my mortgage that killed me. Being laid off and not able to find a job destroyed me. I tried so hard to work with the bank and they wouldn't do anything for me.

I was so proud of our Attorney General who sued the banks on our behalf and I at least got some of my funds back.

But it really hurt me to do it. I have a high moral code and the top of the list is the golden rule.
I feel sad for them, too. Most of us would rather go without than owe others money. And when job loss and/or illness spins our financial worlds out of control, it is not something people take lightly. It is devastating. The thought of purposely running up debt so someone else gets stuck with it after we are dead is rather sickening.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,007,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes. Bills are paid when the estate is settled and that is exactly what I meant, lol.

I was objecting to the philosophy of owing thousands without the assets/resources to settle up the debt through the estate, and I was especially thinking about this sad fact: funeral home directors often have a difficult time recovering even a portion of their expenses. That statement about the check to the funeral home bouncing . . . that is not amusing to me, at all.
A while back someone posted in a thread about adult kids being responsible for their parents' debt, even Medicaid payback. Do you remember anything about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement