Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:49 PM

9,333 posts, read 16,716,100 times

Advertisements

Upstate NY was a little cool today, but still wearing shorts. Rest of the week and next week expected to be around 85. Pool still being used, although nights are cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,018,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
SoCal definitely had some strange weather this year. Normally we have May gray and June gloom, but the gloom just didn't go away until about a week ago. The coastal region was socked in with marine layer all day, so not much, if any, sun and the temps were in the 60's, about 10-15 degrees cooler than normal. We're now having our summer and it'll probably last thru Sept/Oct...2 of the best months to visit here.

Ever since Mt St Helens blew back in like 1979? the weather here has changed, used to be much warmer all year round. Now we have a cool winter and the summers are getting cooler/shorter too it seems. I read where SoCal will have NoCal weather in about 20 years.
Yikes. What defines "SoCal"---from where to the southernmost part?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
While today is cooler than it has been for a long time (what a relief!), this summer has been rather hot across most of the country. Here in the mid-Atlantic, we reached a record breaker in the number of 90+ degree days by mid-summer with lots of them in the 100's with high humidity. To my mind, this summer has been lousy as I don't like the heat and humidity.

First, climate does not equal weather. Weather is what happens each day. Climate is what happens over many years and is defined by averages of the weather. Those averages include a lot of variability including extremes of weather. In periods of climate change, the weather variabilities increase in dimension so we experience a lot of variability from year to year until the new climate settles in. This can take more than a lifetime to occur. The normals used to define the averages (as in normal = mathematical average in the Bell curve) are over a period of 30 years. This means near normal weather only occurs about 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time is made up of extremes in our daily weather experience.

So having a day or even a year out of normal is completely "normal."
DC seems steamy in summer, a lot like the Midwest, where I once lived, at the same longitude. New England imo has had an easy summer, only a day or two near 100. If it were like this every summer I'd be very happy with that. Winters are another story, but I don't mind them so much as I get older. I do mind feeling more isolated but not the cold.

Thanks for your second P, which I knew. In many parts of the country you "wait a minute" for the weather to change (seems like every place has that saying, and I thought it was only a New England thing!).

I think what I was getting at when I posted this thread is that I instinctively feel a shift in the seasons back...as in summer early, fall early, winter early, spring early. That really happened this past year up here, but I've been sensing it as a longterm change. As I said, I could be imagining it. It's not just "weather"---it's an overall feeling of sorts. It just feels weird to "feel" like Sept in August. I'll go check my (own) temperature!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,795,069 times
It was pretty "cold" to us this summer (in the 60s and low 70s) -- in the Santa Cruz, California -- Central Coast area just 70 miles south of San Francisco. Finally....summer has arrived! With all the micro-climates here, there can be quite a wide difference in temperatures within a few miles. Most of this summer we've had that "June Gloom" as was described earlier. Foggy, yuck!

It's finally nice (to us). I had to laugh, because I had an after work appointment at a business this evening, and the person actually contacted me to cancel the meeting because "It's too hot today!" I'm like "WHAT???" Then I had to remember I was dealing with a native Californian!! They're used to "perfect" weather most of the time! Ha ha!

So, today, it is supposed to be in the high eighties and maybe 90s by the beach. Which, to me, is perfect because of the low humidity and cooling ocean breezes!! I love that kind of weather!

I work about 5 miles away up in the mountains, which gets hotter during the summer. People are walking around here at work complaining -- which, me being from Buffalo, New York, originally, it's hard for me to think of most weather as "bad!" My co-workers are like "Ooooh, it's so hot!!! You're not going out in THAT, are you??" Even my boss came in and said, "It's 108 degrees out there!!" I actually happen to like it in the 100s around here -- it's really low humidity, and it's at least 10 degrees cooler in the shade and there are lots of redwoods and other trees around. It's supposed to be a lot cooler tomorrow -- so I'll be able to meet with the native Californian after work! Ha ha!

Growing up in Buffalo, it certainly makes it hard for me to see most weather as "bad!"

So, I'm enjoying the nice warm day today with lots of sunshine, cooler in the shade, low humidity, so no sweating all over! I like it!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Typical, or as typical as it gets. The spring was cold and unsettled until mid June. Then it gets hot and stays that way except for days when we get thunderstorms due to the heat. In late August it always gets cooler for a week or so and lots of years we get a little rain. I know this because it invariably drives the doves out of the area right before the hunting season opens. September will be warm with cool crisp mornings. We will get a hard freeze in late September and the weather will slowly but steadily get colder until December. We get a few variations in timing and severity, but the patterns are there and have been as long as I remember.
No idea where you're referring to! Where are you?

Posters, please say where you are! thanks

Old 08-24-2010, 04:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,201,490 times
P.S. Most people here at City Data don't realize that charts like the ones I linked to in post #10 above https://www.city-data.com/forum/15608106-post10.html , as well as detailed demographic data are available for almost any City or Town in the US, right here on City-Data https://www.city-data.com/

Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,829 posts, read 58,408,191 times
I'm not a 'climate change' guru, but...

With more 'airborne' moisture (evaporation), I seem to be getting more rain. (~ 120" of 'drizzle' / yr...= 285 days / yr of gray and/or rain). Have had a hailstorms in last few yrs (which have been firsts). These are pretty minor compared to SD, WY, CO (marble vs, softball sized).

Personally I would tend to be leery of areas with severe water shortages. Governments have a bad habit of 'commandeering' THEIR 'essential' resources.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:05 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,046,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for your second P, which I knew. In many parts of the country you "wait a minute" for the weather to change (seems like every place has that saying, and I thought it was only a New England thing!). Yes, we have it too.

I think what I was getting at when I posted this thread is that I instinctively feel a shift in the seasons back...as in summer early, fall early, winter early, spring early. That really happened this past year up here, but I've been sensing it as a longterm change. As I said, I could be imagining it. It's not just "weather"---it's an overall feeling of sorts. It just feels weird to "feel" like Sept in August. I'll go check my (own) temperature!
Glad I'm not imagining things We had an early spring, summer, and now are having very fall-like weather in August. I've been sensing "something different" for a while now. Even the critters (squirrels) are acting differently. I have 80+ stripped pinecones in my yard and I'm told it's squirrels, I've always had squirrels and I've always had pinecones - real pinecones - probably mixed in with the stripped ones so they weren't noticeable but they came down later in the fall when they were also mixed with leaves from the other trees.

What I am really just hating about this time of year is that it's getting dark earlier.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,625,673 times
I'm in western Kentucky and today is the first day the temperature hasn't been over 90 in 36 days. We've had heat advisories of at least 4 days each 3 or 4 times. If you like high humidity you'll love it here! lol Felt nice here today. 90 and not that humid.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,290,371 times
In middle Tennesse the mornings are around 67 and it goes up to around 90 during the day. We've actually cooled off from a heatwave we were having during July/August. So far I think the weather is just the way it's supposed to be this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement