Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:26 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,042 times

Advertisements

"Sales people call me 'Buddy' a lot."
I'm guessing that's a regional expression. I've never heard it used by a sales person.

After years of cat calls and whistles when I walked down the street, I welcome being less visible.

I've recently moved from California to the Midwest and one of the few things I don't like about my new location is the tendency of male cab drivers to call me 'young lady' several times in one trip. So far I've not reacted, because I probably won't see that driver again, but I hate this -- it's unnecessary to call me anything and it's condescending. I wonder if they call male passengers 'young gentlemen'? Somehow I don't think so. Next time I'm going to say pleasantly 'please don't call me that.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
Well, I had to think back to when I was in my 20's and 30's...I really doubt that I paid much attention to anyone in their 50's, 60's or older. All young people are in their own universe. Although technology certainly has widened the generational gap. I do think that younger people don't want any advise from anyone older (too bad, because we have alot to offer). but then neither did I at that age.

I used to turn some heads back in the day but not so much anymore...that does make me feel invisible. Even though I try to take pretty good care of myself.

I do notice it alot (being invisible) when I go shopping say at a major department store...even one like Nordies that is suppose to be so customer service oriented. It used to be but not anymore.

But I think there are some advantages to being invisible...we can say and do whatever we want and nobody really notices or cares all that much

I do think people have to hang out with those their own age...no matter what age, because those are the people who will understand you the best.

One thing for sure, I hate being called ma'm....

Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I think we need to embrace our cloaks of invisibility. We become individually irrelevant as we age and are no longer seen to be contributors. Of course this is wrong but I believe it's a fact. Also once we are past the age of reproduction, we become less visible to the opposite sex or people looking for mates. We are pre-programmed to find people of reproducing age more attractive.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
...When I look at young people, especially those aged under 40, they seem to look straight through me and not even notice me, let alone make some indication that they actually see me. Maybe it's just a part of getting older but I must say it p****s me right off....
Be grateful, these are the Living Dead, robots in fleshskins that are replacing the human being.

If one should focus on you - flee!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
Not sure if it is just me and my wife but since we became seniors, which I guess is over 60 years old, we seem to have become 'invisible' to younger people. What I mean is, when you are out shopping or walking, it seems that the only ones who smile at you, or acknowledge your presence are those of the same age as you! And it also seems that the younger people are, the more 'invisible' you become to them.

When I look at young people, especially those aged under 40, they seem to look straight through me and not even notice me, let alone make some indication that they actually see me. Maybe it's just a part of getting older but I must say it p****s me right off.

Anyone else noticed this?
Try driving on the wrong side of the road! It works for all the seniors in my town, and then everyone notices them

How about this? Next time you see someone under 40 you should stop and thank them. Thank them for giving away 45% of their paycheck to pay for all the subsidies you enjoy in life. Thank them for working their rear ends off to pay student loans, because your generation made it mandatory for them to take student loans in order to pay for 120k worth of education before you would hire them as a free intern.
Thank them for shouldering the massive amount of debt your generation has heaved on them because of your spend now and pay later attitude towards government finances. Thank them for buoying Social Security because your generation decided a fund set up to help the extremely unfortunate in life should help supplement everyone's 40 year retirements. Congratulate them on taking a lower salary in order for their multi-national corporation can pay your overbloated lifetime pension while trying to stay competitive in the "Global Environment." A globalization scheme your generation pushed in order to make goods cheaper for those that already had money while selling the jobs that young people needed to 3rd world nations.

The reason they don't notice you is because they are probably sprinting to their second full-time job while begging their day care center to keep the kids a little longer because their wife can't get there in time because she is stuck in traffic caused by old people who can't drive, but can pressure politicians to not force drivers license re-certification on people who can't remember what day of the week it is. All because the school district's budget has been cut because all the retirees decided that tax money put into education is better spent on the retirement rec center and the new full-time water pilates coach. And that person is probably thankful that he/she has a job, because the unemployment level for people between the ages of 20-29 is worse than it was in the Great Depression. Sorry if we don't want to kiss your shoes while we walk by you.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Try driving on the wrong side of the road! It works for all the seniors in my town, and then everyone notices them

How about this? Next time you see someone under 40 you should stop and thank them. Thank them for giving away 45% of their paycheck to pay for all the subsidies you enjoy in life. Thank them for working their rear ends off to pay student loans, because your generation made it mandatory for them to take student loans in order to pay for 120k worth of education before you would hire them as a free intern.
Thank them for shouldering the massive amount of debt your generation has heaved on them because of your spend now and pay later attitude towards government finances. Thank them for buoying Social Security because your generation decided a fund set up to help the extremely unfortunate in life should help supplement everyone's 40 year retirements. Congratulate them on taking a lower salary in order for their multi-national corporation can pay your overbloated lifetime pension while trying to stay competitive in the "Global Environment." A globalization scheme your generation pushed in order to make goods cheaper for those that already had money while selling the jobs that young people needed to 3rd world nations.

The reason they don't notice you is because they are probably sprinting to their second full-time job while begging their day care center to keep the kids a little longer because their wife can't get there in time because she is stuck in traffic caused by old people who can't drive, but can pressure politicians to not force drivers license re-certification on people who can't remember what day of the week it is. All because the school district's budget has been cut because all the retirees decided that tax money put into education is better spent on the retirement rec center and the new full-time water pilates coach. And that person is probably thankful that he/she has a job, because the unemployment level for people between the ages of 20-29 is worse than it was in the Great Depression. Sorry if we don't want to kiss your shoes while we walk by you.
All of these woes could be avoided by choosing a career doing stoop labor, which would solve America's immigration problem as well.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,465 times
Besides the current trend of communicating almost primarily through technical devices, I think young people look at us "grownups" or "old people" as a reminder that someday they will be like us -- it's fear of anything beyond youthfulness...don't you remember how you felt at that age? I quickly found, through my career as a newspaper reporter, that people of all ages have the most interesting stories, particularly older people. But in general, I think that way of seeing through you is fear-based...

Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Well I'm way over the seniors age group. When wearing my WW11 or Korea cap I will get a nod or eye contact of sort and a occasional small smile in recognition. Every so often a young late 20's or early 30's will shake my hand and say "thankyou for your service".

A very nice gesture considering the age group. When at the VA there will always be someone wearing a service showing cap who will look me in the eye and nod a "hello". This of course is at a specific location and many of us are in one centalized area.

Generally most folks will see right thru me of which I have no problem as they are engrossed with their own needs and thoughts. It is of NO reflection on our age group but just that people do not wish to impose themselves on fear of rejection of some kind.

I have at times meaning well have spoken to a younger person in the mkt or Wallmart and received a cold MYOB SIR. Such is the way things are today...NO ill intent.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
I'm 57 and work with some people my own age and others younger than myself. I never feel invisable or ignored or that I am being looked through. I'm a fairly assertive person and I would never let myself feel bad or pissed off because some one younger didn't acknowledge me. I guess I don't put that much stock/energy in that sort of interaction (or lack there of) with someone who is a complete stranger.

I think this sort of thing is something we have to work out within ourselves first before blaming strangers who simply walk passed us.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Consider yourself lucky that they haven't noticed you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement