Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,866 posts, read 58,503,009 times

Advertisements

I'd die for High Speed, Podcasts are very time consuming to get, but out NPR station is totally lame by scheduling most decent programs during the time of day people are busy.

I like Radio on demand (Thus by podcast)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,897,460 times
Blu-Ray DVD Player - not while DVDs are cheaper. When blu-ray becomes more common than DVD, I'll get a blu-ray player.
Digital Camera - several
DVD Movie Camera - nope.
HD/Big Screen TV - HD yes, 40" so it's "biggish." Just had to replace the old one two months ago. Stream Netflix via wireless to the TV. Had DirecTV but dropped it because we didn't watch it enough.
GPS - yes
I-Pod - yes, along with an iPad

Add: smartphone (Droid 2)

Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,857,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, I've got a Thread going about computers and Senior's, now I'd like to find out about other modern electronics, like:
Blu-Ray DVD Player
Digital Camera - 2

DVD Movie Camera
HD/Big Screen TV
GPS
I-Pod

How many of us (55+) have them/use them, don't have them/would like to have them or don't have them/don't want them??? How many still have/use the old VCR Player/Recorder? How many now have a DVD Player/Recorder? How many still have the old "rabbit ears" tv's that require the digital equipment to run them now?
Only thing we don't have/don't want is the I-Pod. We still have an old DVD Player/Recorder cause homemade DVD's look better on that than on Blu-Ray. However, a few years ago, I did hook up our old VCR to our DVD and transfer all of our VCR tapped stuff onto DVD's. That took a little time, but I did it. Some people have a "green thumb" in the garden while I have a "electronic thumb" when it comes to electronics!
We still have 2 VCRs we use on our older televisions when there are more than two things to record on at the same time. Mrs Tek has an iPod, but I never use one. Blu-Ray came with the PS3. We carry two cameras when we travel. No need for a high res camera when my camera will shoot HD and has 12x (non-digital) zoom.

I carry an 8GB USB drive in my pocket at all times. You wouldn't believe how much I use it.

We are looking to buy new phones soon. Hopefully we will go see our guy next Monday about it. I am looking at the new Droid models, notably the Global or Pro. I want all (well most) of the features available like GPS, the ability to speak to it and search the Internet, etc. Email when I'm traveling without a laptop! I watched a young lady check for her connecting flight on our last trip using her Droid and it was really cool. Much better than hauling a laptop around. We are also considering one of the smaller devices like a netbook or some of the others I've seen people using on airplanes.

On the other hand Mrs. Tek and I had a conversation Sunday about being left behind in the technology revolution and decided we were only falling behind with those electronics we don't need or care to have.

Pick your own electronic devices path and stay on it!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM

9,057 posts, read 20,476,895 times
We love our Blu-Ray which is a Samsung, same as our HD 46" tv. We have the small DVD disc movie camera. We had the cassette one before and had to transfer movies from the cassette to VCR tape. Good part about the cassette is that I could edit what went from the cassette to the VCR tape by "pausing" the VCR and continuing the cassette. Once video is on the DVD disc, can't edit what's on the disc.
Wife would like to get an I-Phone, but they aren't cheap and the extras do cost. Putting music on an I-Pod is just too complicated to me......no thanks! It's true that people can pay some bucks for High Speed Internet, HD "add-on" (tv), cell phone extras, etc. Heck, the cable going from our HD tv to our Blu-Ray cost $95, but sure is worth it!
What we really want, but is too costly yet, is a Surround Sound System with remote rear speakers. We don't want wires stretched across the floor or on walls......been there/done that! Most Surround Sound Systems come with a Blu-Ray that we don't need.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 18,273,656 times
Blu-Ray DVD Player - No, I hear they give you cancer, or maybe it was chancre.
Digital Camera - yes
DVD Movie Camera - no, no interest
HD/Big Screen TV - no, I have never had any interest in living in a movie theater.
GPS - no
I-Pod - yes, have two, and have put many of my favorite songs from my CD collection on them, and have then given the CDs to a charity thrift shop.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Well, believe it or not, if you have an HD tv, a Blu-Ray player is an awesome piece of equipment to have! A Blu-Ray combined with an HD tv makes for an absolutely spectacular picture that you just won't get from a regular DVD player hooked to a HD tv. That's not just advertising at Best Buy or Target to sell Blu-Ray Players, that is most definitely the truth!! We were totally amazed at the pictures quality of a Blu-Ray! And, 90% of our Blu-Ray movies we got on sale......$10-$15! We didn't get rid of any of our regular DVD movies, when we replaced them with Blu-Ray, cause we have a portable DVD Player and that one doesn't take Blu-Ray movies. There is a portable Blu-Ray DVD Player now, but it costs like $300 plus dollars.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:19 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,665,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, I've got a Thread going about computers and Senior's, now I'd like to find out about other modern electronics, like:
Blu-Ray DVD Player
Digital Camera
DVD Movie Camera
HD/Big Screen TV
GPS
I-Pod
How many of us (55+) have them/use them, don't have them/would like to have them or don't have them/don't want them??? How many still have/use the old VCR Player/Recorder? How many now have a DVD Player/Recorder? How many still have the old "rabbit ears" tv's that require the digital equipment to run them now?
Only thing we don't have/don't want is the I-Pod. We still have an old DVD Player/Recorder cause homemade DVD's look better on that than on Blu-Ray. However, a few years ago, I did hook up our old VCR to our DVD and transfer all of our VCR tapped stuff onto DVD's. That took a little time, but I did it. Some people have a "green thumb" in the garden while I have a "electronic thumb" when it comes to electronics!
I suspect that many, if not most, people of any age who own, or dream of owning, the items on this list are people who don't read books, have no specific interests, and only feel happy as part of the crowd. There's nothing wrong with any of these items? But how many people need them, or even want them, other than for status. It's telling that the OP doesn't ask about the ownership of less known appliances of equal or more advanced science and engineering. I consider myself quite current in fields that interest me, so here's my list. I may be forgetting one or more items.

Blu-ray DVD player. No, because I've never seen one and can't judge. A possibility for later purchase.

Digital camera. I'm investigating them now. I've spent many thousands of dollars on film equipment over the years and learned good darkroom practices. But so many films have diasappeared. I'm looking at camera bodies compatible with lenses that I already own.

DVD movie camera. No, and no plans to get one. But I've never owned a film movie camera either.

HD/Big Screen TV. No. I have neither broadcast TV, satellite, or cable because of lack of interest. I can watch a DVD on my computer and also route a tape to my computer monitor. I do have a large monitor that allows me to look at two web pages at once. It. can produce a big image from DVD or tape.

GPS. I have one for hiking. They have a long way to go. GPS certainly doesn't yet replace the compass and map.

I-Pod. No. Silly.

But I do have FLIR (forward looking infrared) installed in one vehicle. It's an extraordinary driving aid; I can't imagine why it's not more popular; I can't imagine not having it now. I also use laser sights on several guns. While they don't solve every problem, they allow practices that would have been impossible before their invention. I have Kestrel weather instumentation, an extraordinary boon. I know that I have kitchen appliances that were unknown a few years ago.

Just because someone doesn't drool over the dreams of the Great Unwashed is not an indication that he's an old fogey living in the past.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 PM

We have "specific" interests! Have a nice 20' boat that we cruise the waters of Jax, FL with. Love fishing. Love gambling (when we have the finances to). Love to travel (again, when we have the finances to). Love to shoot. So, so much for no "specific interests, hugh?
We both needed them and wanted them! And, not for "status" either. We just like our electronic stuff.
As far as the gps goes......have no idea how we ever traveled without one! We have a large Rand McNally Atlas we take with us, but our gps is going also. For us, it has come in extremely handy! We "don't leave home without it" unless we know exactly where we are going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I suspect that many, if not most, people of any age who own, or dream of owning, the items on this list are people who don't read books, have no specific interests, and only feel happy as part of the crowd. There's nothing wrong with any of these items? But how many people need them, or even want them, other than for status. It's telling that the OP doesn't ask about the ownership of less known appliances of equal or more advanced science and engineering. I consider myself quite current in fields that interest me, so here's my list. I may be forgetting one or more items.
Love our DVD Movie Camera. Have numerous homemade DVD movie of memories.

Blu-ray DVD player. No, because I've never seen one and can't judge. A possibility for later purchase.

Digital camera. I'm investigating them now. I've spent many thousands of dollars on film equipment over the years and learned good darkroom practices. But so many films have diasappeared. I'm looking at camera bodies compatible with lenses that I already own.

DVD movie camera. No, and no plans to get one. But I've never owned a film movie camera either.

HD/Big Screen TV. No. I have neither broadcast TV, satellite, or cable because of lack of interest. I can watch a DVD on my computer and also route a tape to my computer monitor. I do have a large monitor that allows me to look at two web pages at once. It. can produce a big image from DVD or tape.

GPS. I have one for hiking. They have a long way to go. GPS certainly doesn't yet replace the compass and map.

I-Pod. No. Silly.

But I do have FLIR (forward looking infrared) installed in one vehicle. It's an extraordinary driving aid; I can't imagine why it's not more popular; I can't imagine not having it now. I also use laser sights on several guns. While they don't solve every problem, they allow practices that would have been impossible before their invention. I have Kestrel weather instumentation, an extraordinary boon. I know that I have kitchen appliances that were unknown a few years ago.

Just because someone doesn't drool over the dreams of the Great Unwashed is not an indication that he's an old fogey living in the past.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,288,987 times
Blu-Ray DVD Player NO. Maybe later
Digital Camera YES - want a good SLR too
DVD Movie Camera NO - digital cameras have this function built in
HD/Big Screen TV HD - YES Big screen NO. I too have no desire to live a movie theater. My TV is also a nice computer monitor.
GPS YES. But still need & use paper maps. GPS is good for details & lousy for longer range planning.
I-Pod Yes but different brand mp3 players. I misplace it a lot.

Might get a DVR. I use my computer now but the tuner seems inferior. I would love decent broadband but choices & services are poor here.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,857,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

I-Pod. No. Silly.

Ridiculous assumption.

I read voraciously, as does my geeky wife. We travel, she is very much into cross stitch and I am into woodworking, gardening, landscaping, etc. The list is longer, but you get the idea.

It seems to me like you have just as many "toys" as the rest of us, they are just used in different areas.

Pot calling kettle black syndrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement