Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,898,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellitetre View Post
The only thing about electronics is you just can't keep up. I remember getting excited when I built my first crystal radio from a kit my father bought me from Radio Shack. My, how times have changed. The CDs you've transferred media to are almost obsolete. They've been replaced by DVDs, smaller and smaller portable drives and "clouds". Even the future of television as we know it is questionable with access to so much online these days. Where will it all end?
It won't "end" per se, it'll just keep changing. I don't think it's necessary to keep up with THE latest thing, just to keep one step or two before obsolescence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,860,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We still have the CD's with photos on them, but have transfered all the photos from those CD's onto to a single 8 gig USB Storage. Also have a USB Storage that I now put any of our digital camera movie clips on. When will it all end.........most likely never!
If the USB is the only place it is backed up I will recommend adding a second one, especially if all the backups are at the same location.

Online backup (I use Carbonite) is relatively cheap, and automatic. If you should have a fire (heaven forbid) and all the copies are in the house, you no longer have the photos and movies.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,860,638 times
We finally got new phones. A Droid 2 for Mrs. Tek and a Droid X for me. In some areas we are keeping up with the kids.

Learning curve!!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 AM

9,057 posts, read 20,479,079 times
We have two USB's of all our photos......one at home and one in a bank vault security box. Whenever we take/keep new photos, I put them on the one at home and get the one out of the security box and put them on that one as well. Also have two sets of DVD's of our wedding, one at home and the other in the bank box as well. My wife is pretty impressed at how I handle that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If the USB is the only place it is backed up I will recommend adding a second one, especially if all the backups are at the same location.

Online backup (I use Carbonite) is relatively cheap, and automatic. If you should have a fire (heaven forbid) and all the copies are in the house, you no longer have the photos and movies.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,123,787 times
I tend to be behind really. What I see is less numbers of new comupters wanted.cellphone leveling off as shown by the changes in discounted phones contracts and people shifting to more HDTV to update really.The bubble in both computers is gone as well as cells slowing.Much more so in retirees tho.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,638,129 times
Blu-Ray DVD Player DVD player only
Digital Camera Yes
DVD Movie Camera No
HD/Big Screen TV No
GPS No
I-Pod No

My computer with high speed internet, 26" HD TV, no cable, A vcr/dvd combo takes care of all my needs. Still have landline with no extras and a prepaid phone for emergency calls while in the car. Keep it simple as possible.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,570,535 times
I have everything. This is a really great time. We are just getting to the point where you don't have to learn a lot of technology to use the new stuff. When this all started, 20 years ago, one had to learn all kinds of esoteric stuff to get the benefit of the new items. We still have to read a bunch of directions, but we are usually not converting file formats and wiring jumpers and testing ports. Most of the stuff we use today, you turn on and use. End of story.

I guess the most powerful new technology today is GPS. Imagine, for free, yes I said free, you can locate yourself or with additional technology an other person, within about 3 feet on any place of Earth.

I was in England a couple of years ago and had my hand held GPS with me and was able to explore things in the city and the countryside that I never would have seen just 10 years before.

I would urge everyone who goes out side the house to get a hand held GPS and learn how to use it right away. Its too cool.

Last edited by Wilson513; 01-29-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 09:40 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,144,809 times
I think for 60 somethings my wife and I are doing pretty good keeping up with the electronic era. We both have DSLR cameras with a total of about 500 gigs of pictures. We recently got laptops and are still working on them. We have done lots of photo scans, music and audiobook downloads. This weekend we got Droid X phones and are learning how to use them and downloading new apps. I also spent time figuring out how to use the phones so that I could play music using an old receiver. Tonight I downloaded an app so that I can use the Droids to serve as mobile hotspots for the computers. That works well since I recently got a small cell phone antenna which can be used either on the roof of the car or attached to a window at home.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 AM

9,057 posts, read 20,479,079 times
WOW.....cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I think for 60 somethings my wife and I are doing pretty good keeping up with the electronic era. We both have DSLR cameras with a total of about 500 gigs of pictures. We recently got laptops and are still working on them. We have done lots of photo scans, music and audiobook downloads. This weekend we got Droid X phones and are learning how to use them and downloading new apps. I also spent time figuring out how to use the phones so that I could play music using an old receiver. Tonight I downloaded an app so that I can use the Droids to serve as mobile hotspots for the computers. That works well since I recently got a small cell phone antenna which can be used either on the roof of the car or attached to a window at home.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,882,504 times
I thought GPS was a waste of time. wrong.

Got very lost in the middle of the night and ended up somewhere in a deserted part of Baltimore. Result: bought a GPS off Amazon. Didn't get lost driving back north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement