Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM

9,001 posts, read 20,424,922 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've got a Thread going about computers and Senior's, now I'd like to find out about other modern electronics, like:
Blu-Ray DVD Player
Digital Camera
DVD Movie Camera
HD/Big Screen TV
GPS
I-Pod
How many of us (55+) have them/use them, don't have them/would like to have them or don't have them/don't want them??? How many still have/use the old VCR Player/Recorder? How many now have a DVD Player/Recorder? How many still have the old "rabbit ears" tv's that require the digital equipment to run them now?
Only thing we don't have/don't want is the I-Pod. We still have an old DVD Player/Recorder cause homemade DVD's look better on that than on Blu-Ray. However, a few years ago, I did hook up our old VCR to our DVD and transfer all of our VCR tapped stuff onto DVD's. That took a little time, but I did it. Some people have a "green thumb" in the garden while I have a "electronic thumb" when it comes to electronics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,459,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, I've got a Thread going about computers and Senior's, now I'd like to find out about other modern electronics, like:
Blu-Ray DVD Player -- yes
Digital Camera -- yes
DVD Movie Camera -- no
HD/Big Screen TV -- yes
GPS -- yes
I-Pod -- yes
Still have a VCR we use regularly - no DVR, at least not yet.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,403 times
i usually use both old and new things

Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 PM

9,001 posts, read 20,424,922 times
We have a DVR built into our Cable box, but discontinued that part of subscription due to cost. Even the tv w/VCR and VCR/DVD combo's are going by the wayside. And, like the old "reel-to-reels", 8-track and cassette tapes the VCR tapes are now gone. Our boat had a cassette player in it, took it out and we put in a nice CD/AM-FM player. Another modern item my wife is wondering who has is the I-Phone. A lot of these new electronic toys have a minature computer in them.........cool! We may be in our early 60's, but we sure like certain mod electronics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Still have a VCR we use regularly - no DVR, at least not yet.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:09 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,866,678 times
Hate to admit it, but I have none of those and seem to be getting along just fine. Course I'm on a computer all day long, so when I get home that's about the last thing I want to do. I do find that I can't really follow half of the ads on TV anymore because they are all about droids, etc. It's not that I can't figure this stuff out, just don't really want to. I like to spend my (little) free time doing creative things or going out with friends, church, etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM

5,337 posts, read 6,043,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Blu-Ray DVD Player PS3
Digital Camera yes BUT use IPhone
DVD Movie Camera no
HD/Big Screen TV yes
GPS no BUT use GPS on IPhone
I-Pod no BUT use Iphone
Obviously, my IPhone replaces several gadgets. I don't watch "regular" TV, but watch an occasional movie. I don't play video games, but use the PS3 to watch HD movies. All of my appointments (with scheduled reminders), contacts, passwords, etc. are on my IPhone.

Last edited by lenora; 01-10-2011 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Reformatted quote.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM

30,645 posts, read 16,308,776 times
The only phone I have or want is my moldy oldy land phone. No caller id, call forwarding, whatever, I do have an answering machine.

film camera, no digital.

dial-up puter connection to go with my 8+ yo puter.

I have a vcr/dvd player that someone gave me when she upgraded to blue ray.
GPS-nope. Road maps. I like road maps. Got enough people telling me where to go. Don't need a box telling me how to get there. lol

oh-no tv reception. Cable doesn't come out this far and too cheap to spend all that money for a dish that I'd seldom watch.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 PM

9,544 posts, read 16,568,931 times
Other than a cell phone, computer and a DVD player that I rarely use thats it for me.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,107,662 times
All of them

Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,503,325 times
Blu-Ray DVD Player -No
Digital Camera - Just bought one last month haven't used it yet
DVD Movie Camera - NO
HD/Big Screen TV - NO
GPS - No
I-Pod - No

I have a VCR in working order but don't have too much need for it. I have a DVR that comes with my cable service and I like it. I also have a DVD player.

I have nothing against the items I don't have, I just don't feel the need for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement