Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Well, it does look (from this Thread) that there are quite a number of us that have/will be applying for early retirement/SS at age 62, due to being unemployed and finding it difficult as He** to find a job.
If I......
Wouldn't have physical limitations:
Hip replacement in '05 (gotta watch how much I lift)
Rotator cuff surgery in '07 (can't lift too much weight)
Wouldn't have had that dang motorcycle accident in '88 that required left ankle surgery w/a plate-2 screws (can walk or stand for long periods of time)
Wouldn't have been diagnosed as a Diabetic II in '08
Would have continued in college back in the 70's and got a darn degree
Had the money to get my certification in Purchasing (CPM) years ago
Wouldn't have got stuck thinking that warehouse/stockroom work was all I could do (and that was all I did for a number of years)
Would have got involved in a Retirement Savings Plan years upon years ago (like my wife did)

Gee, everything seems so "hindsight" now! Well, next week I go to SS, with all needed info and apply for that early retirement.........so I can have some money coming in to help out financially!

Anymore people here going with the early retirement/SS due to unemployment??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Don't feel too bad Loveboating even young whippersnappers are having problems finding jobs now a days.

No one wants to hire you once you reach our age for various reasons including they expect you to leave, get sick or hurt. You will want more $$$ because you have the experience. I just find it ironic since when I worked with those college kids right out of school they were out more than us olde timers having partied too much the night before, left with no notice, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement