Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,016,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Winter's cold but nothing like New England. We had about four inches of snow last week but that's been it this year, so far. We have bald eagles nesting at the lake and while the days may be a bit chilly, many are sunny and bright and it's nice to be outside.

No working for this guy. I'm done!

Y'all snowed in?
You bet, and with subzero temps. I can deal with it but would much prefer Missouri winters. I really liked living in mid-Mo and got my masters there. The kids liked it too. The Ozarks are awesome. The only thing that makes me pause is....tornados. And we did have a few, both times I lived there.

Re: the OP, collect SS whenever you need that base in order to survive. You can always make more on top of it, either through a PT job, consulting, teaching, etc. It's kind of chic to live on less (unless it's "very less" and you are approaching poverty). I believe that as much as we "choose" things in life, things in life "choose" us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,931,616 times
A couple of years ago I went to a retirement seminar held by Social Security folks, retirement counselors, retirement investors. ALL said to collect Social Security at 62 and not wait. The underlying theme was take the small cut and enjoy yourself. I turn 60 this year, and retired in 2009. With my retirement income and Social Security at 62 I'll make more than I did when I was working.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:03 PM

15,138 posts, read 32,432,903 times
It looks like I'll be forced to take out my Social Security early. I turned 62 last October, and was terminated from my job in January 2009. My unemployment with part-time work for the past two years was survivable, and I'm very frugal anyway, so I was ok. I also managed to save a little bit of money up. But I still haven't found a full time job, and this year, my unemployment benefits were reduced to $88 per week. I'm working as a receptionist at H&R Block for tax season, and I'm getting a lot of OT. But after tax season is over, I'm only going to have my two part-time jobs. I work event security, and you can't get 40 hours per week, plus they pay just above minimum wage.

I've been trying to get back into the federal government with no success, and haven't been able to find anything else at all. No one is hiring, so I guess it's early Social Security for me.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,121 times
I retired at 55 after working 30 yrs for same co. With the new contract and weak union, I would have only gained another $100 a month if I had worked to 65. My retirement was about 70% of my working wages, but we adjusted and got by fine.(still had a mortgage). I took SS at 62 and in the same year received a modest disability from the VA. (agent orange).

I just turned 63 and I am making about 50% more than when I worked.

Take SS at 62 and enjoy life. By the time you are in your 80's and reached the break even point for collecting early, you won't be able to do the same things you could at 62.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,979,549 times
I was self employed and took early SS at age 62. Continued to work until 65 but at a slower pace. Retired fully at 65 in 1996.

At the time recall a booklet saying that the difference drawing SS at 62 compared to 65 would take 12 yrs to balance out on the total $$$ received. If you lived longer then 12 yrs after the 62 yr SS draw your ahead in the money gain. I'm 79 today so did come out alright and with luck a few more yrs depending on the health issues I have.

In the long run I vote for a early 62 retirement date. Never know what problem a reasonable healthy person may wake up with some morning. (thats what happened to me a yr ago)

Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 PM

I'll probably be applying for it next month. But my question is this: If by some slim chance, I'm rehired by the feds, can I stop it?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 AM

9,027 posts, read 20,450,994 times
You won't stop it, but SS will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'll probably be applying for it next month. But my question is this: If by some slim chance, I'm rehired by the feds, can I stop it?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
You won't stop it, but SS will!
Well, if a federal job does materialize, I'll call SS as soon as I'm sitting behind the desk.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,474,949 times
moved -

I found this on the SS web page ...
How Work Affects Your Benefits

"You can get Social Security retirement or survivors benefits and work at the same time. But, if you are younger than full retirement age and earn more than certain amounts, your benefits will be reduced. It is important to note, though, that these benefit reductions are not truly lost. Your benefit will be increased at your full retirement age to account for benefits withheld due to earlier earnings...."

Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,772 times
I have a friend who retired at 62 and she was not unhappy about it. She said she had read that accordng to actuarial charts whether you take it at 62 or 66 it still turns out to be the same in the long run. In other words... less for a longer period or more for a shorter. I never checked it out myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement