Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 AM

31,687 posts, read 41,080,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
its heck of a lot safer then the pensions from many companies today ,as well as almost if not all states guarantee them if the insurer fails.

check your states limits.
I wouldn't bet the mortgage on the states insuring anything. They are having enough issues with their own employee pensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
its heck of a lot safer then the pensions from many companies today ,as well as almost if not all states guarantee them if the insurer fails.

check your states limits.
Annuity State Guaranty Protection Limits - Find Out How Much Your Annuity Is Covered For

Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 AM

106,843 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I wouldn't bet the mortgage on the states insuring anything. They are having enough issues with their own employee pensions.
certain things i think are pretty low risk of default and of course no one knows for sure but i think these funds will always be bailed out by the fed.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
certain things i think are pretty low risk of default and of course no one knows for sure but i think these funds will always be bailed out by the fed.
Laughing out loud as quitely as I can. Any state employee banking on getting 100% of their pension as advertised may need to think about it. I as much as anyone has been supportive of the financial postion of Many state pensions if reforms are implemented now. I have also said on multiple occassions that we are planned for a 20% reduction in SS and our pensions. Probably won't need it based on current conditions but that is the point is is based on current conditions and the future isn't now!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 AM

there are a few things so ingrained in our structure that to mess with them would cause a terrible de-stabilization in american life. one of which is social security ,2nd is fdic and 3rd is letting pensions or annuities fail.. the fed would find money for any of this as we saw how quickly they found a trillion bucks for the bail outs.

i do agree 100% with you that states will look to shed as much legacy benefits as they can but thats true of most companies today. but thats quite different then letting existing ones default and fail.

you may not get what you bargained for as the airlines learned when they failed but you will get the terms of the guarantee funds more then likely. if those things fail i listed above ever defaulted chances are any and all investments you had in anything else would fail as well . then its just bullets and beans.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
there are a few things so ingrained in our structure that to mess with them would cause a terrible de-stabilization in american life. one of which is social security ,2nd is fdic and 3rd is letting pensions or annuities fail.. the fed would find money for any of this as we saw how quickly they found a trillion bucks for the bail outs.

i do agree 100% with you that states will look to shed as much legacy benefits as they can but thats true of most companies today. but thats quite different then letting existing ones default and fail.

you may not get what you bargained for as the airlines learned when they failed but you will get the terms of the guarantee funds more then likely. if those things fail i listed above ever defaulted chances are any and all investments you had in anything else would fail as well . then its just bullets and beans.
There are four states that have serious pension problems. If the feds bailed one out and I have a hunch this congress wouldn't, that would be the end of pension reform elsewhere and the doomsday clock would hit midnight. If the fed bailed one out why not let them bail us out. Illinois is planning to sell billions of state bonds to finance pension obligations. Will anyone be buying and if so at how large a premium?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 AM

Not sure of how the nuts and bolts will workout but im pretty confident all will still work out in the end when all is said and done.....
a state defaulting on its pensions would be like you said a doomsday event.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Not sure of how the nuts and bolts will workout but im pretty confident all will still work out in the end when all is said and done.....
a state defaulting on its pensions would be like you said a doomsday event.
A full default no, except in possibly Illinois which has it's head in the sand and actually could reach the zero point. With over 2 trillion in assets just about all state pension funds could reach full funding with an up to 20% reduction in current benefits including current retiree's. Not at all likely but why I plan for such.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,925,326 times
Would it be poor analogy to say that Illinois is to the US as Greece is to the Eurozone?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 AM

i thought california already held that slot along with michigan playing the role of spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement