Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 AM

21 posts, read 79,576 times

Advertisements

After months of thinking and searching and reading I'm still totally confused. My husband taking early retirement. I fall 8 years younger so must continue to work for insurance. He wants to leave the Illinois winters because of arthritis, cost of living, IL TAXES, etc.

We have been leaning toward Sun City because of the housing affordability. We will be on the low budget side....looking for living in a home in the 50,000-70,000 range. So we can have a mortgage paid off. Maybe we should rent instead. Or maybe get in park model (I know small), etc. Then reading posts about the Phoenix commutes for the worker (me), the super long summer heat, no small town community feel I am questioning it again.

I know there probably isn't the perfect place but now I'm thinking back to the south - FL, Carolina's, Alabama? Or is the NW better. We love weekend small town trips, wonderful restaurants, biking/hiking, universities, warm weather, swimming, and I'm not sure I want to give up at least a day's drive to visit the beach but could. How does one decide....if I didn't have to find employment (Admin. Asst for a university currently), I think the decision would be even easier and I might go back to Plan B and live in an RV. Anyone else have this same scenario with the age difference, etc.? What's a girl to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,930,518 times
Default Don't leave that good job until you have another!

We all know jobs have been hard to come by for the past three years or so. Your job with benefits allows you and your husband to have a normal life. So while Illinois may not be perfect, I would not abandon ship until you have secured another job in whatever location you eventually decide on. Let's take just one down side of Illinois as listed by you - high taxes. What good would it be to move to a lower tax state if your income is slashed to whatever your husband's early retirement is? Remember that other locations have their down sides too, just different ones that you may not have thought of.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,626,594 times
What I want to know is - where do you find homes in a Sun City community for $50,000 - 70,000? In Texas, where housing is known to be pretty affordable, housing in Sun City (Georgetown near Austin), the very smallest houses are around $120K-130K.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 AM

30,602 posts, read 16,285,119 times
and don't forget, even if you find another job, the benifits may not be as good. Since he doesn't have to work, could hubby put up with a few more winters? Meanwhile, you can check out areas you're interested in on vacations or long wkends.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,264,746 times
It is perfectly understandable to be confused and concerned - its a BIG decision. Several points I would suggest you focus on:

1) Relocation - its generally wise to plan on renting for a year before you buy. That allows one to really check out the area before committing capital in buying a new home. It is especially important if you don't have prior experience in living in a given area.

2) Definitely do a worst case budget in proposed new areas, i.e, you don't get a job or find anything close to your current income level. Few situations are less appealing than going through the hassle of relocating to a new area and finding yourself financially stressed. I can't over emphasize the importance of doing your numbers upfront. It will save you a lot of potential grief.

3) You and the husband really need to come to an agreement on your options and preferences that take into account BOTH your lifestyle needs, location desires, etc. Your requirement to continue working for eight years is by no means trivial.

I would remind your husband that a retiree doesn't suffer many of the downsides of weather related issues when one isn't going to work every day. As noted by other posters, good jobs are hard to find and unless you are comfortable on retirement income alone, your job situation should be a primary criteria.

I suggest that you proceed carefully, definitely develop a financial plan considering all scenarios and come to an agreement regarding your joint needs.

Best of luck.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

6,631 posts, read 7,367,380 times
I would not move until you have a new job. In fact after you get the job I would rent to make sure the job worked out. If you are looking in a retirement areas you might be able to find some good long term rentals. A friend of mine that lived in a retirement area went looking for a job and found that since their were so many retired people looking for jobs the pay was very low.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,376,156 times
I don't know what you do for a living, but if you plan on staying in a similar profession you need to check out the job market before you venture off, as insurance is something you probably don't want to be without or have to pay for individually when you are in your 50's or early 60's. Your talking some big bucks for a decent policy.

You may end up moving twice. First time to a warmer cheaper location where you can find a job, and after you receive medicare, then you can consider moving anywhere you want.

Phoenix prices are ridiculously low now as is Florida and Nevada. Can not even compare to the rest of the country now. Excellent time to buy in my opinion.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM

88 posts, read 237,000 times
I think that you should look at how happy you are in your present job as a primary consideration. If you love working there, then think twice before leaving as you may not be able to find or be happy in another position. Then what will you do? You did mention that you will need health insurance. Can you afford to do without or self insure if the need arrises?

As far as the place to live, I would research it carefully & visit the various places or even rent for a while before making a final decision I live in Florida & have observed people move here & then decide to return to wherever they originated from because they don't like the summer heat & humidity, hurricane prep., and/or lifestyle which may be a lot different for them.

In my opinion, your retired husband, should consider your needs before his as he will not have the possible problems you may face relocating before you retire or can afford to just quit working. Good luck & hope all works out.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,688,804 times
Although it may be a great time to buy in FL or wherever, keep in mind, as housing prices are very low, salaries are also low. Everything is relative. If you find real estate costs low, property taxes low, be aware of other taxes and higher costs in that specific state (personal taxes, higher insurance, SS and military retirement taxed, pension tax, etc.) Also be aware that although cost of housing might be a priority, it is important to take into consideration what you will do in the area as far as hobbies, family, cultural, etc. People I know moved to NC and ended up moving back north as they were bored to death and claimed it wasn't cheaper in the long run. Do you homework and get a job first.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
The first priority before moving is your finding a job if you will continue to work ;IMO.Administrative assistant's most often come from within the employer ranks than outside from what I seen.This is not a good time for older employed people to make such risky move with the economy really;IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement