Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much income do you think you need annually to retire?
Less than $40,000 92 27.63%
At or over $40,000 52 15.62%
At or over $50,000 86 25.83%
More than $75,000 103 30.93%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,512,994 times

Advertisements

We buy our cars new - for cash - and keep them until the warranty expires and we need (or think we are close to needing) our first really expensive repair (usually has something to do with the A/C). We kept our 1999 Lexus until 2009 - and then bought a 2010 model Lexus RX350. Note that decent cars last a pretty long time here in Florida (no rust/pothole problems). We don't drive that many miles a year (about 7-8k) - so the cost of gas isn't that important to us. We accomplished our biggest car savings by going from 2 cars to 1 car in 2009. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM

52 posts, read 89,941 times
Default Car purchase

Hi Robyn , Boy I see you all over the place on City-Data! I am a new retiree as of Jan and am trying to figure things out.. I did some faithful savings over the years that is producing our monthly income stream plus social security but I think I underestimated a savings account. Do you just pull the money out of your savings when it comes time to buy the new car or do you continue to put the car payment into a specific sub account for that reason? Another area that concerns me is dental, my friend was just advised that she needs $30,000 worth of implants as her bridges are loose, wow can that ruin a retirement budget!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 AM

395 posts, read 707,764 times
$40k abroad in low cost dest., 65k in usa.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeden View Post
Hi Robyn , Boy I see you all over the place on City-Data! I am a new retiree as of Jan and am trying to figure things out.. I did some faithful savings over the years that is producing our monthly income stream plus social security but I think I underestimated a savings account. Do you just pull the money out of your savings when it comes time to buy the new car or do you continue to put the car payment into a specific sub account for that reason? Another area that concerns me is dental, my friend was just advised that she needs $30,000 worth of implants as her bridges are loose, wow can that ruin a retirement budget!
If the Retirement Forum and the JAX forum are "all over" CD - then I am all over CD .

Our financial situation is such that we almost always have enough cash on hand to buy a new car. Sometimes we are somewhat low on cash due to an exceptionally good buying opportunity (like after the Meredith Whitney call on municipal bonds in early 2011). Today - we have much more cash than usual.

I have had implants - and they do cost a ton. Even a simple cap or bridge can cost a bunch too. BTW - there shouldn't be any need for implants if a bridge is loose - unless the teeth that are holding the bridge in place are shot. Robyn

Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 PM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
out of 6 implants 5 years ago i reject 2 over the years with one more marginally holding.

if i lose that 1 than ill do another 3 . it just never ends.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:01 AM

52 posts, read 89,941 times
Default Dental

That is scary... most dentists here in NY are not willing to take the bridge off and just replace with a new one, they require the implants or at least a few to secure the teeth. That is the way the dental schools aproach it as well here. A very costly endeavor.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
many dentists today much rather use an implant than a bridge.

i have to agree as why ruin the two teeth alongside pernanently by grinding them down to accept the cap or bridge.

the other issue we had is my wife had all her teeth re-done about 10 years ago. the caps were done in four sections.

well through the years bacteria works its way eventually under the caps and now the sections have to be removed, root canals done and replaced. thats 6500.00.... you have no issues like that with implants once they take hold .

Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
That is scary... most dentists here in NY are not willing to take the bridge off and just replace with a new one, they require the implants or at least a few to secure the teeth. That is the way the dental schools aproach it as well here. A very costly endeavor.
Perhaps we're talking about different things. I'm talking about a complete top or bottom bridge - not just a bridge than spans a missing tooth or two. IMO - you don't need an implant to span one missing tooth. A bridge spanning two or more missing teeth can be problematic in terms of where it is in terms of the stress put on it. In any event - the implant is usually a whole lot cheaper than the prosthesis - so it probably isn't worth fussing about. FWIW - I've had a total lower bridge for over 20 years now - supported by about 7 - maybe 8 - natural teeth that are still very solid. Had the bridge replaced about 10 years ago with no implants required. Robyn

Old 03-24-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
many dentists today much rather use an implant than a bridge.

i have to agree as why ruin the two teeth alongside pernanently by grinding them down to accept the cap or bridge.

the other issue we had is my wife had all her teeth re-done about 10 years ago. the caps were done in four sections.

well through the years bacteria works its way eventually under the caps and now the sections have to be removed, root canals done and replaced. thats 6500.00.... you have no issues like that with implants once they take hold .
I think you might be confused in the words you're using. The implant is basically a stub of a tooth - a piece of metal that is planted in your jaw - that can act as an anchor for a prosthesis - like a bridge. First you get the implants - then you get the prosthesis that attaches to the implants. The prosthesis can be either fixed (fixed can be removed with a hammer/chisel like dental thing by a dentist - but it isn't something the patient can remove) or patient-removable (which helps in terms of cleaning).

I regret to say that implants are much like teeth. If you're a basket case in terms of teeth (which I am as result of of genetics and smoking) - you're likely to have problems with implants as well - sooner or later down the road. Although my first set of implants (uppers only) lasted for about 10 years - the second time around was pretty much a total failure after a couple of years. I gave up on the uppers and went to an upper denture last year. The lower bridge - still fixed on natural teeth - is alive and doing well best I can tell.

A lot of the potential for success/failure with dental implants has to do with bone density (which is usually better for most people on bottom than on top) - and it is easily seen on dental MRIs these days. A dental MRI isn't expensive - my dentists charge about $250. If your bone density is really lousy - you won't do well with implants without bone grafting first. I pretty much drew the line in the sand with bone grafting. Didn't want to do it. So since my bone density on top is horrible - I decided to give things a rest. Perhaps for a while - perhaps forever. Robyn

Old 03-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
The last super big deal dental work I had was in 2001. I had total fixed bridges upper and lower (going back to the early 1990's).. A bunch of teeth on top were failing then - but the bottom was really stable. My oral surgeon removed all of the few remaining lousy teeth up top - and one crummy one on the bottom. We did implants up top - and nothing new on the bottom. My prosthodontist did new bridges for me - removable on the top - fixed on the bottom. Didn't even really "need" a new fixed bridge on the bottom - except so it would match the top in terms of look/feel/bite.

BTW - when you are talking about "dentists" - what kinds of dentists are you dealing with? For this kind of stuff - I use an oral surgeon and a prosthodontist. I would never use a general dentist for this kind of stuff. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement