Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,030,820 times

Advertisements

If I had to pick one concert, it would have to be the United We Stand benefit concert held in Washington, D.C. about a month after 9/11. It stands out in my mind not only because of the number of great acts, but also the emotional outpouring from both the participants and the audience. Here is a partial list of the performers that day:

Aerosmith
Carole King
James Brown
Al Green
Rod Stewart
Bette Midler
Mariah Carey
Destiny's Child (with Beyonce)
P. Diddy
America
Goo Goo Dolls
Usher
Pink
Huey Lewis

Michael Jackson also performed and closed the show, but as we had been there all day and it was approaching the closing time for the Metro, we left before he came on stage.

I've been to many, many concerts both before and since, but none come close to replicating what it was like being in that stadium that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,910,510 times
My most memorable live performances have been:

. James Taylor concert with my daughter. Also was at a private performance of his in the Harvard University dining hall -- magical!
. Chicago Symphony -- Beethoven's violin concerto -- Itzhac Perlman
. Bette Midler concert
. Any of the plays I've seen performed by the Milwaukee Repertory Company or American Players Theatre
. Desert Chorale Christmas concert in Las Vegas

Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
If I had to pick one concert, it would have to be the United We Stand benefit concert held in Washington, D.C. about a month after 9/11. It stands out in my mind not only because of the number of great acts, but also the emotional outpouring from both the participants and the audience. Here is a partial list of the performers that day:

Aerosmith
Carole King
James Brown
Al Green
Rod Stewart
Bette Midler
Mariah Carey
Destiny's Child (with Beyonce)
P. Diddy
America
Goo Goo Dolls
Usher
Pink
Huey Lewis

Michael Jackson also performed and closed the show, but as we had been there all day and it was approaching the closing time for the Metro, we left before he came on stage.

I've been to many, many concerts both before and since, but none come close to replicating what it was like being in that stadium that day.
You and my California sister would really hit it off. She loves all the artists you do. She traveled from the West Coast to that concert. Did you get a video?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
My most memorable live performances have been:

. James Taylor concert with my daughter. Also was at a private performance of his in the Harvard University dining hall -- magical!
. Chicago Symphony -- Beethoven's violin concerto -- Itzhac Perlman
. Bette Midler concert
. Any of the plays I've seen performed by the Milwaukee Repertory Company or American Players Theatre
. Desert Chorale Christmas concert in Las Vegas
Every year the Taylor concert at Tanglewood in the Berkshires is sold out before you can even attempt to get tix.

Are you saying he performed with your daughter??

Perlman is one of the true greats, amazing doesn't describe.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
If I had to pick a live performance that I have seen, it would have to be that of Carlos Montoya, the classical guitarist, at NTSU (now UNT) back about 1970. I have never experienced anyone with such total mastery of a musical instrument. If I had not seen and heard it for myself, I would have thought there were two or three guitarists playing what he managed by himself. Absolutely stunnung.
I'd never heard him--just looked him up on Youtube, wow.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,910,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Every year the Taylor concert at Tanglewood in the Berkshires is sold out before you can even attempt to get tix.

Are you saying he performed with your daughter??
Oh no -- I attended the concert with my daughter. Such fun to find an artist we both enjoyed!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,674,611 times
We like to attend Broadway performances, especially musicals. Also go to a few concerts.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We like to attend Broadway performances, especially musicals. Also go to a few concerts.
What's your favorite musical?

I'd love to see a full-scale performance (with top notch orchestra) of Rodgers & Hammerstein's CAROUSEL (set on the coast of Maine) put on in Bangor -- with a singer the caliber of John Raitt or Gordon MacRae singing the role of Billy Bigelow.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
You and my California sister would really hit it off. She loves all the artists you do. She traveled from the West Coast to that concert. Did you get a video?
No. As I recall, security was extremely tight (as you can imagine). IIRC, women weren't even allowed to bring purses into the venue.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Quote:
What's your favorite musical?

That's an easy one for me: Les Miserables
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement