Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times

Advertisements

Big concern of mine as a liberal democrat fitting in. I hope as the baby boomers retire I will not be part of a small minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
We do have both Republican and Democrat clubs in Sun City Anthem, Henderson, NV.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:35 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
Where I am, Sun City Carolina Lakes, have both very active Republican and Democrat clubs. They bring in speakers for both sides. I'm not active in either one, but our community is fairly diverse in where people come from We have a large contingency of NY/NJ transplants, who tend to be more liberal, plus many from the NC/SC area who tend to be more conservative. We also have a lot of people who are moderate. So I don't think anyone would feel out of place. The one thing that I find, at least in my circles, is that people don't tend to discuss a lot of politics, not because we don't agree, we just have too many other things to do!

Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Where I am, Sun City Carolina Lakes, have both very active Republican and Democrat clubs. They bring in speakers for both sides. I'm not active in either one, but our community is fairly diverse in where people come from We have a large contingency of NY/NJ transplants, who tend to be more liberal, plus many from the NC/SC area who tend to be more conservative. We also have a lot of people who are moderate. So I don't think anyone would feel out of place. The one thing that I find, at least in my circles, is that people don't tend to discuss a lot of politics, not because we don't agree, we just have too many other things to do!
Del Webb markets a diversity of variety in their communities.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I am a flaming left wing liberal. My Sun City Hilton Head good buddy is a conservative Republican. The same exists here with many of my golf buddies. What am I saying is one can get along with many others as long as they do not become fools and upset others due to their position on issues be they left or right. It is not a Sun City issue.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
I have a question or more than one for Del Webb residents, which I'll get to in a second. We visited Carolina Arbors near Raleigh, got a promotion or pitch or whatever, and went through several model houses. What struck me is how expensive they are. They seem to be 25% or more higher than comparable houses in regular neighborhoods. Why? I thought the HOA covered the activities center, exterior maintenance, etc. What is the extra cost for? I was also wondering if people negotiate in the purchasing process. We've been in the same house for 30 years so I'm not familiar with current practices, except via Househunters and similar TV fare.

If anyone could enlighten me on these subjects, and anything related, I would appreciate it.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I have a question or more than one for Del Webb residents, which I'll get to in a second. We visited Carolina Arbors near Raleigh, got a promotion or pitch or whatever, and went through several model houses. What struck me is how expensive they are. They seem to be 25% or more higher than comparable houses in regular neighborhoods. Why? I thought the HOA covered the activities center, exterior maintenance, etc. What is the extra cost for? I was also wondering if people negotiate in the purchasing process. We've been in the same house for 30 years so I'm not familiar with current practices, except via Househunters and similar TV fare.

If anyone could enlighten me on these subjects, and anything related, I would appreciate it.
I bought an existing home in an established Sun City/Del Webb community so I can't really comment on the negotiating process. It was the same as any other real estate purchase. However, I can comment on the price as compared to the surrounding area. Here, you pay a premium to purchase in Sun City Anthem because of its location in the hills surrounding the Las Vegas valley (gorgeous views almost everywhere), the beauty of a well-maintained planned community, the amenities, proximity to shopping and other services and the safety of the area. Our monthly fees ($75) cover the community landscaping and the maintenance of the three clubhouses and their amenities (fitness centers, pools, tennis courts, walking trails, auditorium, meeting rooms, etc.). These are of course over and above the services provided by the broader Henderson community which are covered by property taxes. While I don't believe you'd pay a 25% premium, it's certainly more expensive to live here than in some of our closest neighbors, but we have at least one adjoining community that on average is more expensive than ours. Hope this is helpful.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:57 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
It is, Kiwi. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post

I went to a Robson community in Goodyear AZ about 5 years back. It was $99 to stay for 3 nights and 4 days, they put you up in a furnished house, and gave you a golf cart and bicycles. The place was fantastic. It was on a golf course, and they had plenty to do there. They tried to sell me a new construction home, but (especially 5 years ago) the prices were ridiculously high, the resale ones were a LOT cheaper, did I mention A LOT CHEAPER? Like $300,000 less for a 5 year old house. No, I'm not kidding.

I also looked at a few of the Dell Webb's near Vegas (KiwiKate is correct, Anthem is a very nice place) and in Mesquite NV, but ended up buying in a different gated community near Vegas. I highly recommend that you look into resale homes if you're looking to buy in one of those communities. I also suggest that you look over the HOA rules quite thoroughly.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile I actually would like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
My wife and I visit with a couple that live in Sun City Hilton Head. We spend 3-4 days with them several times a year. It is a lovley place with as many activities as one could want. Most of the friends they have made came from his fellow golf buddies and those they met at one of the on-site restaurants/bar. He also is a member of a Cribbage Club that gets together once a week to play Cribbage then have lunch.

Remember that many retired there and they come in with no existing social circle thus they are looking to make new friends thus open to being approached.

He says they are turning down offers to do things all the time.

Every person I met was friendly, polite, and social. I am not saying I could be friends with each of them but I am saying that with so many things to do and ways to meet people that anyone who is alone, is alone via choice.
What do you feel the age range is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement