Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
How do you like Sarasota...I checked out a few places online there and it seemed quite expensive for Florida, although I know it is quite an upscale area.
I spent a week in Sarasota once. OK it was a weekend but it felt like a week. Make that a month. I think I just picked the wrong week, though so this may be an unfair comment. All I remember was thinking Hot! Buggy! Hot! Buggy! Hot! And so damn buggy I cancelled all our plans for out door things we had meant to do.

But.... this may be completely unfair. Maybe we picked the wrong weekend to visit. I know a lot of people love living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
OK, that's good enough for me...I trust your judgement. Hot/buggy...cross it off my list (it was really only penciled in at the bottom anyway)! One of my best friends lived there for a short while but they always summered in Michigan...so that tells me something too.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
I'll say again my opinion that affordable is a relative word that relates to expenses and choices we make. If I wanted to live in CA, though I'm not wealthy I could make it work depending on where I'd live there, opting out of certain expenses I have now in order to make it work. Yes much of New England is pricey too, but if you really want to live here there are many options to make it work. You just work with your budget sheet. If the high payment car and Whole Foods and holiday gifts for the cousins have to go, so be it. It's a matter of priorities. I'm guessing that most folks in the Retirement Forum could afford to live just about anywhere they want if they're resourceful with their budgets. JMO.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
Quote:
OK, that's good enough for me...I trust your judgement. Hot/buggy...cross it off my list (it was really only penciled in at the bottom anyway)! One of my best friends lived there for a short while but they always summered in Michigan...so that tells me something too.
My visit was a short one, though--not enough to judge fairly--so if someone else has a different opinion I'd listen to that person over me.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 5,873 times
Love Sarasota, have been here five years and so happy with my choice!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
for what it's worth (for those of us who are still searching), AARP Magazine came out this month with 10 affordable places to retire:

Winchester, VA
Portland Maine
Gainesville, GA
Wenatchee, WA
Tulsa, OK
Cheyenne, WY
Columbus, Indiana
Ithaca, NY
Harrisburg, PA
Midland, TX

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these places?
well let me say, these lists change weekly and depend on who does the study, plus an area might be affordable but not desirable. One example I can think of on this list (I don't want to put anyplace down or hurt feelings) I would never live in Midland, TX. I know a little about Tulsa, parts of the city are wonderful; Harrisonburg might be great but think about the weather. We could go on and on. I don't think affordability is the only thing to think about and I would guess Fortune Magazine would probably have a different top 10. All these studies are good for is bragging rights for the city for a few months or years at best. I know,we live in a town that makes the top retirement list for many reasons. Yes, we love living here, could we find other places we love? of course...

Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
nmnita wrote: Harrisonburg might be great but think about the weather.

Yeah Harrisonburg is in the eastern humidity zone. Summers would be quite uncomfortable there, though the rest of the year would have tolerable weather.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

Yeah Harrisonburg is in the eastern humidity zone. Summers would be quite uncomfortable there, though the rest of the year would have tolerable weather.
that much is probably true, the humidity could be a loser, but I bet it isn't as bad as Florida and Texas for starters.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:23 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that much is probably true, the humidity could be a loser, but I bet it isn't as bad as Florida and Texas for starters.
People make it sound like Florida is horrible, but it really isn't. Right now in fact, it's one of the best places in the country to be weather-wise (massive heat wave in the south, east and midwest, even the north I think) Coastal cities here usually have breezes that make it nice, and weather rarely gets above low 90's. In fact, it's usually like mid to high 80s (so far this summer) Yes, summers are more humid but I have been to other states that felt several times worse. Anyway, I actually like humidity that's in a mid -range, don't like the bone-dry climates out west at all. Good thing we all like something different or we would be all crowded up in one little place!

Old 07-07-2012, 02:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

The two times I visited Harrisonburg, Virginia in the summer, a lovely fresh breeze was blowing across the James Madison campus. My companion and I both noticed and commented how good the air felt on those visits.

If you're talking about Harrisburg, that is in the state of Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement