Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

I just received a summary statement from the hospital for my first stay there of three weeks. (I've had a total of three stays covering about 5 weeks minus the 3-4 days I was home between re-admissions.) This statement was not a bill for me, but a notice of how much they are billing my insurance company.

There is a breakdown of 18 different categories of charges ranging from a low of $1,988 to a high of $75,926. The grand total is....

$245,473.88!!

And that doesn't even include all of the individual bills I will receive from the myriad of doctors who treated me over that three-week period.

Now, I have no doubt that since this hospital is part of the BCBS network, that these charges will be reduced significantly and that BCBS will make a much smaller payment to them, but even so, that is still an unbelievable bill.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:51 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I just received a summary statement from the hospital for my first stay there of three weeks. (I've had a total of three stays covering about 5 weeks minus the 3-4 days I was home between re-admissions.) This statement was not a bill for me, but a notice of how much they are billing my insurance company.

There is a breakdown of 18 different categories of charges ranging from a low of $1,988 to a high of $75,926. The grand total is....

$245,473.88!!

And that doesn't even include all of the individual bills I will receive from the myriad of doctors who treated me over that three-week period.

Now, I have no doubt that since this hospital is part of the BCBS network, that these charges will be reduced significantly and that BCBS will make a much smaller payment to them, but even so, that is still an unbelievable bill.
It's such a game - for both the ins. company and the IRS when they write off huge amounts. Hope you're feeling better - glad that's nt your bill.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:10 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Yes, MMoB, it is indeed amazing! My Hubby and I watch the news together on the tv, and every time I hear about someone on the "margins" of society getting injured -- for example, young man committing a robbery and getting shot -- we comment on the unnecessary medical bills that will now be run up at a hospital, and the wasted time a surgeon must spend fixing injuries that would not have had to be taken care of, had the young man behaved himself in the first place. And who pays these bills?

We do, of course! All of us! So some of the inflated costs we see go toward the unpaid bills of criminals. So you get charged 50 cents for an Aspirin? Well, part of that goes for the nurse's salary, part of it goes for the electric bill, a small part for the cost of the Aspirin, part goes to the BCBS CEO's salary, a smaller part to the Billing clerk's salary, and part to pay for the unpaid bill that the criminal ran up and did not pay.

I wish I had the magic solution for these problems. There are some reasonable common sense solutions available, but it appears the government does not want to go down that road. So, hopefully you will not be stressing out about your hospital bill, and will just concentrate on getting yourself feeling better!

Old 08-02-2017, 08:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I saw on the news tonight that many big health corporations are buying doctor's facilities and now are charging patients for "use of the facility" so you get an extra bill on top of what the doctor charges. Good Grief. Is it ever going to stop ? And many doctors are now becoming "concierge" docs and take only a certain number of patients. My old PCP, whom I loved, in Chandler, decided to become one and charged every patient he took $1600 a year to remain his patient. I opted out and stayed with his nurse practitioner who was just as competent.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I saw on the news tonight that many big health corporations are buying doctor's facilities and now are charging patients for "use of the facility" so you get an extra bill on top of what the doctor charges. Good Grief. Is it ever going to stop ? And many doctors are now becoming "concierge" docs and take only a certain number of patients. My old PCP, whom I loved, in Chandler, decided to become one and charged every patient he took $1600 a year to remain his patient. I opted out and stayed with his nurse practitioner who was just as competent.
Oh, gosh. "Use of the facilities"? I had a similar stupid high bill as MMOB for a Sunday stay. $30,000.00 for a day during which nothing whatever was done. And that was just room and board - there were nurse visits several times during that do-nothing day, billed separately.

Is it ever going to stop? Well, I have heard all the complaints about socialized medicine. And I wouldn't dispute any of them. I would say we have equal if not worse complaints here. And socialized (single provider single payer) medicine at least stops the insurance/health-for-profit game.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
I saw on the news tonight that many big health corporations are buying doctor's facilities and now are charging patients for "use of the facility" so you get an extra bill on top of what the doctor charges.
Is that a legitimate Medicare charge?

Old 08-03-2017, 06:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:

This is truly horrifying. When I read things like this I am glad I'm 75 and not 25. Can you imagine what our grandkids, etc. will be paying? This really sounds like robbery. And while I'm sure I'll never leave the US (although Canada is starting to look good)....... it does make other countries sound good.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:18 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Our son and family is in England for three weeks visiting the other grands and I'm on pet duty for them. They live two miles away, but now it's two houses and double the pets. It's been 2 1/2 days and I'm tired already! They watch our pets when we are gone, so I'm not complaining... much.

Coming home I saw a man riding his recumbent bike that lives near DS's neighborhood. He's quite the entrepreneur. His recumbent has a huge attached umbrella, a crate behind and above him that usually has a small dog or cat in it. He has his own dog and usually another that he is walking while on his recumbent. He's retired and this is the way he walks dogs. He picks them up at their homes and walks them in the mornings and evenings. He also has banners and advertisements attached to his bike from local businesses. He's quite colorful with his umbrella and adverts and he's very visible on the road. It's a great idea for making a few bucks and getting exercise for him too. He makes me smile every time I see him, and I see him quite often around the area.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-03-2017 at 07:42 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 08:48 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Is that a legitimate Medicare charge?
Are any of them legitimate Medicare charges?

Doesn't matter. It's all a huge game and Medicare is in on it. Medicare will just reimburse the health care/insurance companies what they choose to reimburse. The health care/insurance companies will continue to issue ridiculously high bills to people who carry any sort of insurance, hoping to profit (yes, even so-called non-profits) from them.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Been doing research on my ancestors. Got as far as 1600 England on my maternal side, and 1700's Kentucky paternal side. A revolutionary war Captain, a Civil War soldier, and a Spanish American War soldier in my past along with WW2. Seems everyone had about 15 kids. Must have been some cold winters back then. Fascinating stuff, but my brain is about to explode.
I've had some difficulties with my research due to the fact that two family surnames were spelled differently. In one name a T was dropped from the name; in the other an L was dropped. I've also found that a few of the genealogy websites do not always have the correct information I found one site that had the spellings correct for both names however the location they had was wrong.

Another website had a different husband for my fourth cousin Martha who was called "Patty". The two websites had exactly the same birthdate, nicknames and maiden names. Why would her husband be different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement