Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 04:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I remember having to do that. It was pretty weird. Hang in there, AZDBrat. It will be over soon, you will mend, and it will be OK.

I sure hope so! Work today was 'fun' trying to read my scanner and all. But I did it! lol

I've been taking my glasses off when I go outside because I have transition lenses that get really dark outdoors so when I come in I have one very dark eye and one not. lol Just looks weird. Talked to my optometrist for a minute today and he says it'll be a month before I can get new glasses. I wonder if I'll have to take them off completely for all that time since the prescription won't match up with the right eye either. Oh joy! I think it's time for me to use a bunch of my PTO and take a short 'vacation'.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Going to look at a place on some land in the country at 8,000 feet elevation I can actually afford. Not in the small mountain town where I want to live but in my second choice and away from here. Wish me luck!

Congrats and good luck! Sometimes I am happy as a lark with where I am and sometimes, when I read stuff like this, I wonder what would it be like to go somewhere else? Not that I will. I'm simply too old, tired and lazy to even consider it.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
So far it's been a stressful week for me. Monday started off with my computer beeping at me instead of booting. I couldn't even get the DVD drive to open so that I could try to boot from the Windows disk. Since it was only 5 am, I left it for two hours and tried again. This time, it booted.

I'd done a lot of work revising my novel and hadn't stored my work online since the first. I made two copies and quickly got these files online before I called the computer repair shop. Since my computer had been acting slow, I figured it needed a once-over.

Repairman said they would have time to look at my computer later in the day, so I unplugged everything and got ready to take it there. I had taken the side cover off so I could look inside but I couldn't get HP's weird cover to latch back on the computer. Since the computer was large and awkward to carry, I decided to strap it to my cart. I secured it with a bungee cord from the top to the bottom of the cart - I should have also secured it from side to side!

I managed to get the cart down 4 steps before the computer slid off sideways then slid down the flight of stairs. I'm sure meo heard the grating noise as it reached the bottom! Of course it was the open side of the case that slid. One of my hard drives was outside the case and the fan was disconnected. I managed to get the dang thing inside my passenger seat and to the repair shop. Repairman said they would run diagnostics and get back to me within 24 to 48 hours.

When I spoke with the repairman on Tuesday, he said both of my hard drives were fine and the diagnostics showed no problems. At almost 6 pm, I picked up my computer, paid the $49 diagnostic fee, brought it home, strapped it to the cart both side-to-side and top-to-bottom, and very very slowly and carefully got it upstairs to my apartment. Once the computer was reconnected to my monitor, keyboard, and mouse, I turned it on. Well it didn't beep at me -- it just hung there doing nothing. No windows appeared. Tried booting from my Windows disk and nothing worked!

Annoyed, disgusted, upset - I headed to Wal-mart and bought the cheapest HP. When I set it up, I found I needed a different cord for my monitor, so I hurried to Staples and purchased a monitor cord.

It was almost 9 pm by the time I had the new computer set up and working. I stayed up later than normal letting it get its updates (or so I thought!).

About 6 weeks ago, I thought I had backed up some images and research files to an external hard drive because of the computer slowing down though all my check-up programs (antivirus, memory, malware, etc.) showed nothing wrong. Yesterday I got this drive out and these important files weren't on this disk! I know that I backed them up to the external drive!

Thinking the new computer had gotten all of its updates on Tuesday night, yesterday I tried to download replacement programs. At times the download progress was fast, at other times it crawled and stopped entirely. I spent most of yesterday trying to get one program download, finally giving up on it.

I now hate Windows 10. Even looking at TaskManager does not show you that Windows is doing an update! Everything I was used to easily finding is now hidden, and there are so many unwanted Windows applications that are unwanted and difficult to remove!

Though I lost my timeline spreadsheet (why oh why didn't I back that up too?), I did have the foresight to list my sources inside the novel. It will take time, but I should be able to find the majority of my reference files!

A friend suggested that I could probably get those files from my old computer - but at this point, I've spent more money that I can really afford so I don't want to shell out any more money.

Hope everyone else is having a better week!

Wow, THAT had to be so stressful! I know I get frustrated with my computer now and then but I think I'd just go buy a new one if all that happened. I do have my brother to help if anything like that happened and, luckily for me, he can work on MY computer from his house.

I do hope you are able to find and save all the work you've done so far on your novel. That would be killer if you couldn't. You've been working on it for a long time and deserve to finish and publish it. I wondered why we hadn't seen you around lately.

My week has been so-so. Hopefully next week will be better! For both of us!

Old 02-15-2018, 05:28 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
. . . Talked to my optometrist for a minute today and he says it'll be a month before I can get new glasses. I wonder if I'll have to take them off completely for all that time since the prescription won't match up with the right eye either. Oh joy! . . .
DH tried using reading glasses from the drugstore to cope during that month between second cataract surgery and getting the right prescription. It, um, sorta' worked and sorta' didnt. He kept having "fuzzy vision" spells and tried to blame that on having the wrong strength readers. Also, despite that he's pretty careful with eyeglasses he found the readers were quite shabbily made and prone to breaking.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:25 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Jim --- I'm interested in hearing what you thought about the property at 8,000+ elevation! That is pretty high!

Deelighted --- Sorry about your computer woes. I hope you can recover all your written materials and research. Hoping the new one works out well for you....

Meo --- I was reading your thread about the move-related healthcare challenges. I hope everything works out for you and your new Meds start to help.

AZDesertBrat --- I hope things work out for you with your cataract adventures. And don't over-do it!
Jean --- Ditto for you!

AzGarden -- It was such a quiet delightful day with the soft gentle rain here in Phoenix yesterday, I visited Lowe's and picked up a few plants and seeds. Planted some daisies, a pink petunia, and sowed some more seeds. Btw, Hubby has that $147/mo AARP plan, too. It costs more, but we are not sure what to expect with his disease. All our friends chose that one too. We will see what happens....

Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
HollyhockG: You have plants for sale in Lowes and HD????? We have nothing here yet. I keep looking for some sign of new plants, but nada.

Also, my AARP plan is the HMO one. It's $47 a month. So far, ok, except for finding PCPs who are taking patients. I am slowly recovering from whatever it was I had (bronchitis/flu?) but the antibiotic that I was prescribed made me way worse. (ZPak). Didn't know it was similar to Augmentin, which I cannot take either. I have a Nurse Pract., not an MD. She looked like hell herself when I saw her. I stopped the med after just 2 doses.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
@Barb: No I haven't submitted it to anyone yet (except one friend). Finally decided it will be a trilogy. Came across a new fact that caused a major revision for the second one. Worked on revising that part, but it's a massive revision so set it aside cause I'm not really sure how I want to rewrite that portion.

Found a local writer's group and will be going to a "meet and greet" session with them later this afternoon. A few are already published so I'm sure they'll have lots of advice on publishing and agents. I decided to work on revising the first portion before I submit it for the group's review

@jean: Yes technology can be so frustrating when it doesn't work as it should. Still can't believe those folders weren't put on the external drive. I know that I did copy those files! Too bad I didn't double check when I did it! Thanks jean, yes I think the worst is past
If we lived closer I would work on your computer and external. An 8 hour drive is a bit too much.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Well looks like I am moving at the end of March to a small cabin at 7,500 feet elevation near a mountain town of 2,000. It's at the end of a road, nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away. There were deer curled up sleeping in the yard when I looked at it (they looked up and went back to sleep) and was told elk and turkeys always wander by in the evening. Wood floors, wood burning stove and trees, lots of trees some fruit trees and nice shade. It's very cozy and is my style of home. Still close to family too, and within 10 minutes of being at 10,000 feet and some of my favorite fishing spots. Rent is the same as here with an option to purchase. The dogs will have to adjust to not chasing everything that moves, and they will. Finally I am out of this miserable place!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Now that is the best news I've heard today! It sounds perfect to me. Enjoy your new life!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:36 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Going to the National Indoor Track & Field Championships today -- maybe if I hang around young and healthy/fit people it will rub off. Osmosis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement