Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 11:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times

Advertisements

Over the past couple of weeks there have been more stabbings around here. Guess they are leaving their guns home.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Well, we just got the rain I was wishing for. Unfortunately, with the rain came hail and the tornado sirens going off. Storm has moved on through for now, main brunt of it was a few miles north of us, but still under a tornado watch for the next 5 hours. Looks like so far, no vehicle damage from hail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I've been in two tornadoes, not fun. Stay safe.
The one that went through Pella, Iowa trashed the Vermeer plant. They were lucky it wasn't worse than it was.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...age/804565002/

I've been through a few. The worst was when we lived on the top (third) floor of an apartment building. My wife was getting ready for bed and I was watching the end of the news. It was windy out, but then I noticed the telephone pole outside our building was leaning at about 15 degrees. I hollered at my wife, we gathered the new mom and her baby from across the hall, and headed downstairs. On the way down we heard a portion of the roof tear off.

We get to the first floor, which was half in the ground. No lights. We realized no one had any cigarettes (Yeah, we weren't too bright back then) so I volunteered to go up and get some. On the second floor landing I heard more roof tear off. Back down to the first floor. No cigs. As I sat down someone opened the door across the hall and asked if we wanted to come in. All three of us asked the same question in unison, "Do you any cigarettes?" She did.

We went in and watched the sky turn green, pink, and blue as transformers were exploding.

The police rec center was demolished as was a water slide business.

When we bought our first house it was about 10 blocks from that apartment. Our next door neighbors told us that they were in bed when the tornado came through. There was a tremendous noise and when they turned on the lights there was a 2x4 embedded in their closet door. He measured and it went past them only a couple of inches above. A small change in elevation might have killed them.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:49 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Good Morning everyone!

MMoB -- I liked the pic! And no, I have not ever seen a sign posted for a savings of 2 cents! That is a new one for me, too.

Jim -- You are escaping to some very nice places. That was a beautiful place to sit on the riverside.

JRR -- Glad to hear you enjoyed the Bluegrass Concert! I enjoy going to the community band concerts. Great music and lots of fun. Our band will be having the last concert of the summer next week. The reason they stop so soon is because many members are school teachers and schools start early here in Arizona. There are also a number of high school students and they have to go to band camp. The oldest member are in their 90's, so it is really multi-generational.

GRRR...on a side note about the concert: someone sitting behind me brought a beautiful Golden Retriever pup [actually full-grown] to the concert and THEY DIDN'T BRING A WATER DISH FOR THE PUP!. The poor dog was panting the whole time. Remember this concert was outdoors, later-evening, in the Phoenix area and it was still quite warm.

Terrible about the tornadoes and the sinking boat. Just awful. I will say, I have been on boats on Table Rock Lake, and because of what it is, a mountainous area flooded and created by Bagnell Dam, you really do not have views of a wide-open sky. There are many inlets and steep hills covered with trees, and, while it is beautiful out there, I can see how the storm could creep up without you realizing how bad it was. And it was in the same line of storms that spawned all those Iowa tornadoes. That is why the radio relaying weather warnings is so important.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:31 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
Well, it could have been worse. Just spent some time dragging branches from the back out to the road for the brush truck to pick up. Also had about a 40 ft tree in back that was dead. Tree service was going to come by and cut it down whenever they were in the neighborhood. No need for that now, as it come down last night. snapped off about 7 ft up and fell over onto my fence. Now I'll just have to find someone with a chainsaw who wants to make a few bucks cutting it up; gave my electric chainsaw to a neighbor when I left Florida.

The city was out before daylight clearing the streets of downed trees and branches. More storms on tap for today; slight chance that they may be heavy. Heading over to play cards this afternoon, so it can rain if it wants. My Franklin tree came through last night like a champ; looked out one time last night and it was bent over touching the small rose bush near it. It even has some fully opened blossoms facing me here in my office.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:59 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Four mile sunrise walk this morning before it gets over 100 degrees AGAIN. Where I walk is public lands behind my house and ancient Ute Indian Tribe hunting grounds. This morning after two miles, sitting in the shade on my rock, I was looking around wondering what the area was like 200 or so years ago.

There are dry creek beds, dry down to the bedrock, and small caves. I just wonder what this area was like with water running in those creeks, plentiful game, green grasslands. I imagine a lone brave on his pony sitting on a hilltop watching.

Sometimes when the wind blows just right I can hear …

Old 07-22-2018, 10:01 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Four mile sunrise walk this morning before it gets over 100 degrees AGAIN. Where I walk is public lands behind my house and ancient Ute Indian Tribe hunting grounds. This morning after two miles, sitting in the shade on my rock, I was looking around wondering what the area was like 200 or so years ago.

There are dry creek beds, dry down to the bedrock, and small caves. I just wonder what this area was like with water running in those creeks, plentiful game, green grasslands. I imagine a lone brave on his pony sitting on a hilltop watching.

Sometimes when the wind blows just right I can hear …
Sometimes brush in wind murmurs. I first noticed it in creosote-thick parts of west TX. I was in a park and thought people had somehow miraculously trekked to near me unseen. It was eerie until I noticed it kept happening many times in different places. Now it still makes me go on alert but then I enjoy listening to it. I am sure it will happen on our own land here, with just the right direction and strength of wind threading through the arroyos and brush. This place was the home turf of people going back about 10,000 years. There must be spirits all around.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
My imagination runs a little wild when driving in some areas of northern NY state. I often wonder about Indians on their ponies. Fishing, hunting, living their lives in a peaceful manner.
And then the pale face came and everything changed for them.

I may be the only one thinking this, but I think what has happened to the American Indian has been a real tragedy.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
My imagination runs a little wild when driving in some areas of northern NY state. I often wonder about Indians on their ponies. Fishing, hunting, living their lives in a peaceful manner.
And then the pale face came and everything changed for them.

I may be the only one thinking this, but I think what has happened to the American Indian has been a real tragedy.

I'm part Comanche, have been told stories from my grandparents when I was a kid in the 50's.

I was having a discussion the other day with someone and we got to talking about aliens and she said how great things would be if extra terrestrials actually landed and through their advanced technology and knowledge would help us.

I replied, yeah that advanced civilization sure worked out well for the American Indian didn't it?

Somehow I don't think sending a probe into space telling whomever finds it, here we are, come find us. Is a good idea.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times
My wife and SIL on on their way home from Arizona. About 5.5 hours to go.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:22 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
It sure is a hot one today, 115 F, our two pups are safely inside. Fortunately no rolling blackouts so far. But I do understand their purpose, so if we need them, we can cope.

I understand the East coast is getting lots of rain and there are some flooding issues. Be safe, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement