Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 04:27 PM

5,590 posts, read 6,522,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Recently my SW had a problem, apparently affecting many, many people. When they called me back the caller ID did not identify the call as coming from them. It said Out of Area or one of those common scam wordings. I don't have every possible phone number of callers I might want to talk to saved, and in this case, it was a new number. I did answer the phone because I was expecting their call. It was some woman with a strong Indian accent telling me she was calling from my SW company. I challenged her because I had no way of verifying that. Eventually I had to believe her if I wanted my problem fixed. When it came time to evaluate my service experience, I told them that if they were going to call people, from India, the caller ID should at least give the name of their company. I realize that could be scammed too.

Would they have called me back if I hadn't answered, or left a message? I don't know. A credit card company I deal with does the same thing, just a number, and they don't leave messages.
At times, I think Email may be safer than phone calls, but the SW company had problems with their website too.
Sorry, but what is an SW?

If a legit company wants to get information to me they have to send it by US Mail or in the statement because I immediately delete any emails from unknown addresses and don't answer any phone call from a number I don't recognize. I know what bills and financials I have, and what is going on in the company I use just by scanning news on my laptop/ISP. AFAIK, I have not become a "victim" of not receiving information I "need" to know about.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,204,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Sorry, but what is an SW?

If a legit company wants to get information to me they have to send it by US Mail or in the statement because I immediately delete any emails from unknown addresses and don't answer any phone call from a number I don't recognize. I know what bills and financials I have, and what is going on in the company I use just by scanning news on my laptop/ISP. AFAIK, I have not become a "victim" of not receiving information I "need" to know about.

SW is software, sorry. If I hadn't answered and cooperated, it would not have gotten fixed, certainly not that day, and I wanted to use my computer. I had to let her take over my computer and try to fix what was wrong. Apparently, they had done an update that screwed up a bunch of things and had many calls or Emails about it.

As for the credit card company - if they are calling you to find out if a charge is legitimate, would you really want to wait for a letter to arrive? And good luck on getting them to mail you a letter about that anyway....

Old 05-14-2019, 04:23 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,121,426 times
LOL well now your post does make more sense. I was thinking it meant "Sweet Wife". Sorta like DH (Darling Husband)

Old 05-14-2019, 06:36 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,431,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Why didn't they leave a message if it was a legit call? If it was legit, as it evidently was, I would be more annoyed that they didn't leave me a message, it was an annoyance call. These are what everyone is trying to reduce in their lives.
I agree. We have spam blockers on our phones- and generally do not answer even the calls that come through if we don't recognize the number. Yes, the LEGIT ones do actually leave a message. (as do some of the garbage ones who get through but we can just delete those).

Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,321,193 times
It's a shame in a way that most of these spam callers have foreign accents because a lot of my doctors actually have the same accent's and sometimes they'll call from their private cell phones that show up on caller ID as Unknown caller. I'm always leery of callers with foreign accents and that's really terrible to admit.

The other day as I was doing dishes I got a phone call from a guy with a foreign accent claiming to be from 'Microsoft' telling me that they were receiving an alert about a virus on my computer. Now, I know enough to know that it's a phony call and they just want access to my computer. But, I was bored and doing dishes. I'm not even near my computer at all but I let the guy talk, and he tells me to go to my computer... meanwhile I'm scrubbing the pots pretending to be on my keyboard.. Lol... and he tells me what keys to push and I'm playing stupid and asking him where those keys are, asking him to hold on so I can find my glasses.... meanwhile I just put the phone down and let him wait.. Lol
I had this guy on the phone for at least a half hour and I could hear in his voice that he was excited because I guess he felt he finally had a 'live' one and may get access to my computer. So eventually we get to the part where he tells me I just have to hit one key and a bunch of numbers will come up and I'm supposed to give him those numbers.. Well, by that time I was done with the dishes and getting a little bored so I said to the guy.. "Can I ask you one question first? 'Do you think I'm an idiot?'.. Get a real job and stop trying to scam people'... Well... if you could have heard the language out of this guy you would have been shocked. He even said he was glad his people killed all those people during 9/11 and my jaw literally dropped.. He was such a nasty individual that he actually scared me with his hatred.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:11 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times
Driving back from the never ending family reunion yesterday evening, top down on the Jeep. My dog in the back seat fur ruffling in the breeze. Gee that sure is a black cloud ahead...drove into POURING rain hail wind, temp went from 80 to 55 in a second.

Inside of the Jeep needed washing out anyway, me and the dog got a bath. Too funny. We got home I didn't even get the door open he leaped out pushed the patio door open and was inside. I managed to get the top back up (which is very entertaining in 40mph winds) and as soon as I did sun came out and it was 80 again. Ah spring.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times
elliedeee: How very scary that must have been for you.

Do you still have the phone number?

I am thinking calling the police, tell them what happened and give them the phone number. That man sounds dangerous.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:44 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,321,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
elliedeee: How very scary that must have been for you.

Do you still have the phone number?

I am thinking calling the police, tell them what happened and give them the phone number. That man sounds dangerous.
It wasn't as much scary but more super shocking that he would stoop that low to even say those horrible things. It never even crossed my mind to keep the phone number or call the police.. Not only that but based on his accent and the call came from what sounded like a call center where I'm assuming they were trying to scam others, I doubt he was in the US.

I did get one lesson out of it though. Don't mess with them because they can get really nasty.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:03 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,121,426 times
^^^ Yes, as tempting as it may be to play games with scammers, it really is the best idea to simply hang up on them.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:14 PM

5,332 posts, read 6,030,254 times
I just listened to a prerecorded voice message from the "Department of Social Security Administration". I was advised my SSN was suspended because of suspicious activity. Since I'm a former employee of the SSA, I kind of regret not taking the call. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement