Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 09:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times

Advertisements

40 degrees this Sunday morning nice cool breeze. Took the dog on a quiet 4 mile walk this morning.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:31 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
I was in Pagosa Springs for an outside music festival this weekend. Very nice place. Am now packing to leave but plan to take a walk along the river later this morning.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:08 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
38 degrees this morning, deep blue sky, great morning for a walk and it's actually quiet. The weekend was surprisingly peaceful and quiet too.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:27 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
1. As was discussed in another thread here recently, that's what trip insurance is for. If the trip had to be cancelled or cut short for the reasons in the post above, the insurance would have reimbursed the travelers for their cancelled nonrefundable hotel and other expenses.

2. What does any of this have to with being a senior? Being bitten by something, experiencing vertigo, or even back spasms can and do happen at any age.
Well, I did a lot of traveling and had a lot of semi-dangerous adventures when I was younger, and nothing bad ever happened to me. I just think the chances of health-related problems significantly increase when one is older, plus in some cases -- definitely not ours! -- setbacks and problems are more irritating. When one is younger, I think it is easier to go with the flow and not let things upset you. (Maybe I'm wrong about that, though!)

This reminds me of a Windjammer cruise (tall ship sailing) that my husband and I took four years ago. There was an older man -- early 70's, I think -- who forfeited the entire cost of the trip for him and his wife (all paid for in advance, about $2,000 total for a three day trip for two people, if I remember correctly) because the cabins were tiny and the shower and toilet facilities were primitive, to say the least. The accommodations were very clearly spelled out in the brochure, with illustrations, so I don't know what he was expecting! However, my husband and I had a GREAT time, as did everyone else, I think, and the average age of the people on our cruise was probably close to 60!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
I have to agree. I've done a few group tours where someone had to cancel due to a last minute injury. Also, a group tour of Italy where two of the travelers really should have cancelled, but came on the trip anyway despite an injury (and they were miserable the whole time). I've also known people who had to cancel trips at the last minute due to a medical issue. In each case, the traveler was a senior citizen.

I agree that medical emergencies can and do happen to all age groups, and get the point being made when that was said. Even so, the reality is it seems to happen much more often to senior citizens than to the younger travelers. Since many seniors plan to spend their retirement traveling, this is indeed a retirement issue.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:55 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I have to agree. I've done a few group tours where someone had to cancel due to a last minute injury. Also, a group tour of Italy where two of the travelers really should have cancelled, but came on the trip anyway despite an injury (and they were miserable the whole time). I've also known people who had to cancel trips at the last minute due to a medical issue. In each case, the traveler was a senior citizen.

I agree that medical emergencies can and do happen to all age groups, and get the point being made when that was said. Even so, the reality is it seems to happen much more often to senior citizens than to the younger travelers. Since many seniors plan to spend their retirement traveling, this is indeed a retirement issue.
Indeed. A lot of those future plans were made when their bodies were 30-40-50.
When it comes time to act on those plans their bodies are now 70-75.

Once I hit 50 my long term plans started to take into account my age. While you can't plan for health issues you can plan for aging and natural slowing down.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:11 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
I was hospitalized twice overseas when I was in my 20's and 30's. Had my appendix out in Zurich during my Europe on $5/day trip, and then in London at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases on R and R from teaching in Africa. London was totally free back then, and Zurich was a tiny fraction of what it would have cost here. The appendectomy took a while to recover from and now in my 70's, I wouldn't really want to have surgery far from home. But it did add something to the trips, and days at the London Hospital in a ward with people who had been all over the world, after they let me out of isolation, was pretty interesting, especially since I didn't have what they thought I might have had.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Indeed. A lot of those future plans were made when their bodies were 30-40-50.
When it comes time to act on those plans their bodies are now 70-75.

Once I hit 50 my long term plans started to take into account my age. While you can't plan for health issues you can plan for aging and natural slowing down.

It's funny how many people don't understand that until they go through it. I was one of them, LOL Wasted a lot of time in my 30s and 40s making plans for what I would do when I retired because "I know what I like to do, and I know what I'll want to do when I'm older, too." It's human nature, I guess. In reality, I would never have guessed some of the things I like to do now that I have actually arrived at retirement age.

I also think it's especially hard for a younger person to guess what aging feels like, or what your body will be able to handle.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-10-2019 at 01:14 PM..

Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
So I'm doing some painting today..cutting in. Threw out my old 4ft wooden ladder when I moved. Went to HD and got a 4 ft gorilla step stool ladder. Holy moly..what a difference. Wider oversized steps, so much more stable, it folds totally flat and it's not heavy.

I have a 6ft Werner regular ladder in the garage. That puppy is getting loaded up tomorrow for a trip to Goodwill and I'm off to HD to buy the 6ft version of this step stool ladder.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone might be interested.
Had my old ladders for so long that I never paid attention to improvements over the years.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...HD-3/302159307

Old 06-10-2019, 02:22 PM

Minervah (and any other Cleveland dwellers on this forum): Did you feel the earthquake today? Cleveland Rocks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement