Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 12:15 PM

19,879 posts, read 9,424,417 times

Advertisements

^^^ THIS is why I am so glad that my husband and I did most of our leisure traveling in our YOUNG years, LOL!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-06-2019, 04:42 PM

50,406 posts, read 64,141,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
^^^ THIS is why I am so glad that my husband and I did most of our leisure traveling in our YOUNG years, LOL!

Thanks for sharing!
I know, right? So did we.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,901,278 times
SO I read there are actual health benefits to smoking a cigar, drinking bourbon and drinking rum.

I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER

Old 06-07-2019, 11:58 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,195,166 times
Last night was our first Community Band concert of the summer season. They are held at our City Hall, where we have an outdoor amphitheatre. As usual, it was a delight, with special numbers being dedicated for D-Day. They played a Disney medley, a Beach Boy medley a polka, and a Sousa March, among other songs. It was a delight to see 2 little girls [3 or 4 years] dancing their version of the polka, and some teenager starting a Conga line, when they played it!

If you happen to live in a community that has these concerts, take advantage of them. They are almost always free, and a fun experience!

Old 06-08-2019, 04:58 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,123,884 times
Hollyhock, I really enjoyed reading about that concert. I love going to things like that. The music is fun and it's good for people watching, too.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:49 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,323,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
SO I read there are actual health benefits to smoking a cigar, drinking bourbon and drinking rum.

I'M GONNA LIVE FOREVER
Not if you smoke that cigar in my house..

I read that there are health benefits to eating chocolate too which I'm sure is great news for some of the people on this thread, but I'm one of the few that hates chocolate.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:27 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,769,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Not if you smoke that cigar in my house..

I read that there are health benefits to eating chocolate too which I'm sure is great news for some of the people on this thread, but I'm one of the few that hates chocolate.
The first eye doctor I saw a a child, had an office of heavy, dark leather chairs, dark wall paneling, heavy curtains and he reeked of cigars. To this day when I smell a cigar, it takes me back to that time and space which was pretty scary for a little girl. Not a favorite smell at all.

I like good, dark chocolate, but I can take it or leave it, it’s not a passion. Whenever we have dessert I choose fruit ones, rarely chocolate. For my best friend, chocolate is the hill she would die on. While it hasn’t come to that stage yet, she just seeks solace eating good chocolate in a closet during times of stress. People who love chocolate are easy to buy gifts that please for them.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:29 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,043,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so this strikes me sort of funny, although, not funny haha, but kind of, you have to laugh or you’d cry. It could be subtitled, “why seniors don’t travel as much as they thought they would.”

This happened to a friend of mine, but it easily could have been dh and I. Everyone is 70 ish.

Friend, friend’s husband, friend’s ex husband and second wife, are close friends and take trips together. They share grandchildren and everyone gets along. They planned a lovely car trip from Ohio to MA and the NE States, staying in nice hotels and booking activities ahead.

Four days before the trip, ex husband collapses and has to be taken to the hospital with severe back spasms. Released in time for the trip. Friend hopes he will cancel, but he would lose too much money. Off they go to Boston for a graduation, and so far, so good. Next stop Lake Champlain. Second wife gets bitten by something and her eye swells shut. Couples spend hours in podunk urgent care. Second wife wants to cancel trip, but they coax her out of it, because they’d lose $900. They hit a few historic houses with lots of stairs and a lot of walking, and my friend, with a replaced hip and knee, sits out most of it.

Today, friend and hubby had plans to go zip lining, but my friend got a bout of vertigo, so I guess her dh went by himself. Or, maybe they all just sat around their scenic lodge scratching all their mosquito bites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know, right? So did we.
1. As was discussed in another thread here recently, that's what trip insurance is for. If the trip had to be cancelled or cut short for the reasons in the post above, the insurance would have reimbursed the travelers for their cancelled nonrefundable hotel and other expenses.

2. What does any of this have to with being a senior? Being bitten by something, experiencing vertigo, or even back spasms can and do happen at any age.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:07 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Have you heard of e-sports ?
That's the crowd of professional gamers that people all watch on twitch.
Now when folks think of gamers they think 16-18 and the 20'something crowd.

There's a team of profession gamers where the youngest gamer is 62 years old.
They compete in Counter Strike games. That's a first person shooter game.
They call themselves the "Silver Snipers" and are sponsored by Lenovo.
Now that's cool. My son plays Counter Strike, and the action is really fast. It's wait, wait, wait, go! My hand and eye coordination has never been great. I'd be dead in 30 seconds.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Can you imagine relaxing in your recliner, maybe watching a game, having a drink and something to eat, and then have a car slam into the front of your house and you end up underneath the car? This poor guy died, as you probably guessed.

It's just another example of when our time is up, your time is up. In such a horribly sad way.
I hope it was quick. This event happened not very far from my childhood home in Wilkes-Barre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30,000_Pounds_of_Bananas

In W-B, trucks used to lose their brakes driving the long Rt. 115 hill from the PA Turnpike down into the valley. People died, and one house was knocked off of its foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement