Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 01:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
SOOOOOOOOOO now that I have a real lawn with green grass and everything, I decided to get an electric mower. No more gas, no more pulling that stupid cord, push a button and it starts and it's quiet. I already have an electric weed eater.

A neighborhood kid walked by asked if I needed help with yard work as he is looking to make money for school supplies. You're hired kid. So I sit back and watch this kid mow and weed eat.
Will he come to New Mexico?

Old 08-01-2019, 07:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Jim, it is great to hear about a young person wanting to work for extra spending money. Yes, there are some great young people and they are our future.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Packing and getting ready for a road trip. Family reunion.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:04 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Just a small vent. My daughter just e-mailed me that her car is acting up again and she had to take it to the dealership and she can't really afford a repair and she doesn't know how she will get to school (where she is training to be a beautician). She lives more than 200 miles away, so what does she expect me to do about it -- unless she wants to take another amount from the emergency fund we had set up for her? (She has taken a third of it in the last four years, and "when it's gone, it's gone".) Maybe she was just venting, but ARGHHH!

What makes me so angry/irritated is that she divorced a good man just because he was "too critical", and so now she's a single mom of three young kids and "crying" to me because she is having problems?! ARGHHH!

(I told her I was sorry to hear it, and to let me know how it goes. Again, I'm just venting here.)

Last edited by katharsis; 08-02-2019 at 10:19 AM..

Old 08-02-2019, 10:17 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just a small vent. My daughter just told me that her car is acting up again and had to take it to the dealership, and she can't really afford a repair, and she doesn't know how she will get to school, where she is training to be a beautician. She lives more than 200 miles away, so what does she expect me to do about it -- unless she want to take another amount from the emergency fund we had set up for her? (She has taken a third of it in the last four years, and "when it's gone, it's gone".)

What makes me so angry/irritated is that she divorced a good man just because he was "too critical", and so now she's a single mom and "crying" to me because she is having problems?! ARGHHH!

(I told her I was sorry to hear it, and to let me know how it goes. Again, I'm just venting here.)
I have a son like that. He tries to guilt me consciously or subconsciously? into lending him money sometimes. But then I wonder.. are my son and your daughter just venting too, or are they asking us for money is their own way? Maybe as parents who are so used to caring for our 'kids' we read into things that aren't there?
Regardless, I say pretty much the same thing as you. "I'm sorry to hear that.. Let me know how you make out." I also remind him we're living on a fixed income and we could use some help... not that we need his help, but it does shut him up.. Lol

Old 08-02-2019, 09:17 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
SOOOOOOOOOO now that I have a real lawn with green grass and everything, I decided to get an electric mower. No more gas, no more pulling that stupid cord, push a button and it starts and it's quiet. I already have an electric weed eater.

A neighborhood kid walked by asked if I needed help with yard work as he is looking to make money for school supplies. You're hired kid. So I sit back and watch this kid mow and weed eat.

I also bought an electric mower about a month ago -love it. Got tired of wondering if it was going to start or not. Each spring it was a giant headache. Now I charge the battery -slip it in - connect the key and away I go. Love it. The neighbors are all scoping it out.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:47 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Had a nice day today. Went over to the Cumberland County Playhouse in Crossville to a performance of Red, White and Tuna. A silly, fun play where you can just sit back, relax and laugh. Then came back to Cookeville for dinner at Rib City. Baby back ribs, barbecue beans and coleslaw; one of my favorite dinners. Now that we are home, still have to do my knee exercises. I should sleep good tonight.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:34 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
We watched flying dogs today.

OK, not quite. A big group was camped in a small-town field, practicing on agility courses. I would not have guessed a Papillon could do justice to its name (“butterfly” in French), but that tiny dog with the poofy ears could GO. A Shih Tzu also scampered over and through the obstacles surprisingly well. The Border Collies, Heelers, etc. ran the gamut from young and scattershot, to calm but not exactly enthusiastic, to amped up before, during, and after.

I’m always fascinated by The Stare that some Border Collies lock onto, like a laser beam welded to a bullet.

There was no publicity for this 3-day gathering that we knew of, no admission fee to watch, and we could stand anywhere outside the fenced course field. It was a pleasure to see people really training and working with (or playing with, depending on your viewpoint of such sports) their animals.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I am so tired of this HOT summer weather!!! I can barely wait for late September!

(I am also very grumpy, out of sorts and depressed because of the latest mass shooting -- this time in Dayton, Ohio. I have NO idea what the solution would be, but as with probably at least 99% of my fellow Americans, I just wish they would STOP! But that is just a vent, I don't want this to get away from the nice, pleasant, chatty tone of this thread!)

Old 08-04-2019, 09:47 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am so tired of this HOT summer weather!!! I can barely wait for late September!

(I am also very grumpy, out of sorts and depressed because of the latest mass shooting -- this time in Dayton, Ohio. I have NO idea what the solution would be, but as with probably at least 99% of my fellow Americans, I just wish they would STOP! But that is just a vent, I don't want this to get away from the nice, pleasant, chatty tone of this thread!)
i was looking for a thread about these events, but nothing. I guess that isn't allowed in the current events or state forums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement