Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 10:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I know that area very well. We originally were going to retire to Williamsburg and we have vacationed there for the last 15 years. At one time we were interested in purchasing a home in Queens Lake which is right off the Colonial Parkway. Lots of fun things to do in that area. Have you visited Smithfield or explored the Northern Neck or Eastern Shore areas?

We love the ferry and can't believe if is free.
Isn't the ferry great? I can't believe it's free, either. Shh... don't tell anyone. Maybe they just forgot it was there.

We've barely scratched the surface as far as exploring the area goes. We've made a friend in Mathews, and we went over to visit one day and she showed us around a little. But I still don't feel I know it very well. And other than that, we haven't driven around all that much yet. Haven't yet been to Smithfield or beach cities or the northern neck, etc. etc. What a couple of newbies!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Isn't the ferry great? I can't believe it's free, either. Shh... don't tell anyone. Maybe they just forgot it was there.

We've barely scratched the surface as far as exploring the area goes. We've made a friend in Mathews, and we went over to visit one day and she showed us around a little. But I still don't feel I know it very well. And other than that, we haven't driven around all that much yet. Haven't yet been to Smithfield or beach cities or the northern neck, etc. etc. What a couple of newbies!
Oh my you lucky duck! You have an amazing treasure trove of places to discover....drive over to Edenton, N.C. - a fun day trip - and what a gorgeous historic town it is. Kilmarnock (Northern Neck) is super cute - last year when we visited, we found that it had undergone an amazing transformation from a few years before - full of shops, events - all spruced up. Montpelier is also one of our favorites too but you have probably been there. Lexington, VA - chock full of history, nice restaurants and shops - a great overnighter. One of our favorite things is to go to the drum and fife festival at Colonial Williamsburg or Garden Week in VA - we've taken the ferry over the James and toured some amazing old plantation homes and extensive English-style gardens during Garden Week.

I'm so excited for you - you live in a great area.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Oh, yea...another dumpster fill weekend for Jasper12. I have recovered from my marathon a few weeks ago, so time for another run of it.

SO found a low income retire apartment, he hates it. And is depressed. Shrug. Nothing I can do...he had a lot of bad breaks. He can't afford his house. No way to change that fact. It has a huge mortgage, is falling apart.

It really makes you save money when you are with seniors who have none. Retirement broke, to the point you have to work at age 75 is not retirement...it is sad. Especially when you can't do it.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:24 AM

Hang in there Jasper. Filling dumpsters is like raking leaves--feels like it will never end, but it will. You clean up one load, just to turn around and see you have to do it all again. But rest assured that no matter how much stuff there is, eventually you do reach the end of the project. Meanwhile, take care of yourself, and when today's load is over treat yourself to something really nice.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 AM

Ah, I found some red wine, vintage 1968, in a box. There is something to cleaning out old houses. A very nice Cabernet, I am thinking it will be very smooth tonight...with some cheese.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Oh, yea...another dumpster fill weekend for Jasper12. I have recovered from my marathon a few weeks ago, so time for another run of it.

SO found a low income retire apartment, he hates it. And is depressed. Shrug. Nothing I can do...he had a lot of bad breaks. He can't afford his house. No way to change that fact. It has a huge mortgage, is falling apart.

It really makes you save money when you are with seniors who have none. Retirement broke, to the point you have to work at age 75 is not retirement...it is sad. Especially when you can't do it.
This was leaving a relative's house furnished enough so he could return to living there.
One expensive dumpster until the neighbors assured me that his taxes covered trash pickup with no restriction.
Soooooooo
It did cause some startled looks from the workers when they saw 92 contractor bags full on pickup day.
(Yes, we counted and yes, they did haul it all away )

Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This was leaving a relative's house furnished enough so he could return to living there.
One expensive dumpster until the neighbors assured me that his taxes covered trash pickup with no restriction.
Soooooooo
It did cause some startled looks from the workers when they saw 92 contractor bags full on pickup day.
(Yes, we counted and yes, they did haul it all away )
Ha ha ha, that would have made one amazing photo!

We did leaf bags in my former community, and in October they can really line up (since many of the properties there include wooded areas and humongous trees). One day last year the whole family pitched in to rake, and we ended up with 23 leaf bags lined up along the curb. What a sight! And that's about a quarter of what you had. I can just imagine the look on the trash guys faces when they saw your lineup. (But after their jaws dropped, you're right--they'll take it.)

Last edited by Caladium; 09-20-2013 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: keep forgetting I don;t live there anymore, LOL

Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:

This is sad. And it isn't easy to find work, regardless how much you need the money, at 75. Heck, it gets hard at 60! It becomes nearly impossible at 75, unless you have your own business or are a professional such as a CPA or attorney.

Sending good thoughts for your continued stamina in getting through the dumpster process. I don't know how you are doing it. Yesterday, I was working in the yard and did something to my lower back -- just a movement, I guess. And I do yoga and Tai Chi for flexibility, so this was unexpected. For most of us, it is hard on the body to do a lot of physical labor after 50!!!!

Old 09-20-2013, 07:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:

Jasper, dumpsters are expensive to rent. Why not hire a guy with a truck to haul to the dump? Some time back another poster mentioned using a chain of refuse collectors who actually come into your place and haul everything out. Just a thought.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:44 PM

Nah, they are cheap here, $130 for a twenty yard. The city brings it. Fill it, call them, call it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement