Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay, okay ... here are two (fair warning the pics were taken a few years ago and some improvements have been made since then):
Nice pics of a lovely home. More, more! Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
EEK, BTDT!!!!!! I used to walk a mile and a half and went out one November. As I was coming down the slight hill about a quarter mile back home I realized it was a sheet of ice. I had to walk home baby steps all the way back.

TIP always walk with your knees bent if it could be ice, then you won't do the knee jerk recovery if you slip.

I'm sure you all knew that, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I benched DH today even though he's feeling good from going to the barn it's so icy. I will bounce a lot better than he.

Had to keep the horses in because of the rain.

They got up the icy hill to the top pasture yesterday and when I came to let them in they stopped dead halfway with that 'come get me mommy' look on their faces. When I ran back with the salt and sand they got back in, VERY slowly, like baby horse steps.
Very smart horses! Mine does the same baby steps

Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Yeah, they surprise me how smart they can be. Now when they go out they have their noses to the ground to make sure what they're getting into.

It's pretty nice out today so they are out. I did have to sand/salt in some spots but the hill up to the back pasture has a nice melted spot so they will be okay walking up and down.

I will have to keep an eye out for snow this afternoon, if it's heavy they might be back inside early.

DH had a sciatica attack last night so I made sure he only had one cup of coffee, made breakfast instead of lunch and sent him to bed an hour ago. Out like a light with Endora cat nestled next to his right side.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Put all the lawn funinure away this evening. A high wind warning will in effect tomorrow. Winds between 30-40 with gusts of 50-60. Hope son and step-son make it to work/home safely. They have to take the highway.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
We've had about 1.5 - 2 inches of snow here this afternoon and evening. Looks like it done for now but possibly more on the way on Friday.

I seem to be feeling the cold more this week than last during the deep freeze. Ten or twelve more weeks and we will hopefully be moving into spring weather. When it does get here I'll be more than ready for milder temps.

I've been enjoying watching Upstairs Downstairs and I'm up to season 4 and it hit me that it takes place in 1914, 100 years ago. My mom was born in 1910 and when she was three her widowed mom decided to return to Sweden, her place of birth and they stayed through the spring of 1914 but it was becoming increasing obvious that Europe was likely heading toward war and so my grandmother decided to come back to America. I'm glad they did.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Winter is my least favorite season.

It's pretty when the first snow falls, and I have no plans to ever return to Florida where I was raised, but after a month or two of winter I'm tired of it. I hate walking on icy pavement and I hate driving in the snow and ice.

I wish winter would arrive a few days before Christmas and be over before Valentine's Day. When is Groundhog Day this year?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:

It's pretty when the first snow falls, and I have no plans to ever return to Florida where I was raised, but after a month or two of winter I'm tired of it. I hate walking on icy pavement and I hate driving in the snow and ice.

I wish winter would arrive a few days before Christmas and be over before Valentine's Day. When is Groundhog Day this year?
Sit tight ~ we have a few months and these are the hardest. We have no snow on the ground up here, it's all been washed away by rain, and the sun is rare. The morning starts out promising and by noon it's blah. This is the time to be in FLA. If I had friends or relatives there I'd invite myself down. Even a few weeks away would help. Groundhog day is Feb. 2. Aren't you somewhere near Punxsutawney?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-images.jpeg  

Old 01-17-2014, 05:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

That's typical central Texas winter season.
Thanksgiving to Valentines's Day (Nov-Feb) although it does vary year to year.

I grew up in NYC and never liked the long winters.
Then lived in Florida for 10+ years and missed real winters.
Found central Texas and it has just the right amount of winter for me and not a constant winter either as there are days in the 70's sprinkled in with days in the 30's.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:

Winter in the MidAtlantic and the NorthEast is similar to pregnancy. One month too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement