Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 10:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You seem to have a very excellent and rare situation. It would seem to me that in a Golden Girls situation there will be at least 1 that needs to control everything, at least one that needs to gossip and generally cause trouble. Maybe it's different with men.
Well the one who does most of the controlling is me ... because I'm the landlord and the house is mine. I confess that I had to make compromises in order to accommodate the other guys though. Professor Robert hired Handyman Rod to paint his room a sort of marigold color. He had done research on the internet and wanted his bedroom to have a kind of "Caribbean Resort Modern" look with wood plantation shutters, a matching wood ceiling fan and a color scheme of beige, marigold, light brown, and accents in deep crimson. It was attractive and the design was lifted from an expensive resort hotel room. My only problem is that I truly believe that from a psychological point of view bedrooms should have color schemes that cool and restful ... shades of blues, greens, greys, lavender, and taupe. My own bedroom is a lovely shade of periwinkle blue. Not very masculine I know, but Officer Clark is secure in his masculinity.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:50 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Well the one who does most of the controlling is me ... because I'm the landlord and the house is mine. I confess that I had to make compromises in order to accommodate the other guys though. Professor Robert hired Handyman Rod to paint his room a sort of marigold color. He had done research on the internet and wanted his bedroom to have a kind of "Caribbean Resort Modern" look with wood plantation shutters, a matching wood ceiling fan and a color scheme of beige, marigold, light brown, and accents in deep crimson. It was attractive and the design was lifted from an expensive resort hotel room. My only problem is that I truly believe that from a psychological point of view bedrooms should have color schemes that cool and restful ... shades of blues, greens, greys, lavender, and taupe. My own bedroom is a lovely shade of periwinkle blue. Not very masculine I know, but Officer Clark is secure in his masculinity.
Yellow or marigold is said to ignite anger in bedrooms. However, I painted mine a nice gold/yellow and never wake up angry.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Zack, my old black lab woke me up with his stressed out panting. We're in the midst of a severe thunder storm and he's scared.

I saw a firetruck roll by on the main road toward town with lights flashing. I wonder if a lightning strike hit a house or barn and started a fire.

We're under a flood watch until Thursday morning. The little stretch of the creek that I can see from the house is already overflowing it's banks. That's a lot of water when one considers that the point of origin of the creek is only about a mile away and we still have lots of rain to come yet.

I wish I didn't have a drs. appointment today but I'm overdue for a check up and blood work and hate to cancel last minute.

Coffee is ready so I gotta get me a cup right now.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Yellow or marigold is said to ignite anger in bedrooms. However, I painted mine a nice gold/yellow and never wake up angry.
According to feng shui, pink is supposed to be calming. I think not. It's pink that evokes anger. They don't use pink in prisons. I always hated pink, it has an agitating effect on me.

From Color Psychology: "While pink's calming effect has been demonstrated, researchers of color psychology have found that this effect only occurs during the initial exposure to the color. When used in prisons, inmates often become even more agitated once they become accustomed to the color."

I also hate lemon yellow or bright yellow. And the solid dark colors like charcoal grey now used in bedrooms depress me. I love a soft pale yellow-gold (nearly beige, but warm). Very calming.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
According to feng shui, pink is supposed to be calming. I think not. It's pink that evokes anger. They don't use pink in prisons. I always hated pink, it has an agitating effect on me.

From Color Psychology: "While pink's calming effect has been demonstrated, researchers of color psychology have found that this effect only occurs during the initial exposure to the color. When used in prisons, inmates often become even more agitated once they become accustomed to the color."

I also hate lemon yellow or bright yellow. And the solid dark colors like charcoal grey now used in bedrooms depress me. I love a soft pale yellow-gold (nearly beige, but warm). Very calming.
It doesn't surprise me that pink would really get to inmates - it's pink.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Zugor, stay safe, good luck at the doc. Be good to your pup.

When DH said paint the walls anything but beige I got some oops paint at the big box store for el cheapo. We had Elvis burgundy in the bedroom and Hershey's chocolate in the dining room.

I painted everything that boring taupy grey beige a few years ago and I love it. I like the dove grey that's all the rage now, too.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

When DH said paint the walls anything but beige I got some oops paint at the big box store for el cheapo. We had Elvis burgundy in the bedroom and Hershey's chocolate in the dining room.

I painted everything that boring taupy grey beige a few years ago and I love it. I like the dove grey that's all the rage now, too.
Professor Robert's bedroom used to be a cocoa brown ... not a dark Hershey's color ... but the color of dry cocoa powder. I liked it, and for a shade of brown I thought it was quite neutral.

There are two shades of pink I like: a salmon pink and also the lighter shade they call coral pink. Both are warmer shades of pink with an orange component. In fact, shades of apricot, peach, and russet appeal to me. I own a long sleeve salmon pink shirt.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Professor Robert's bedroom used to be a cocoa brown ... not a dark Hershey's color ... but the color of dry cocoa powder. I liked it, and for a shade of brown I thought it was quite neutral.

There are two shades of pink I like: a salmon pink and also the lighter shade they call coral pink. Both are warmer shades of pink with an orange component. In fact, shades of apricot, peach, and russet appeal to me. I own a long sleeve salmon pink shirt.
But you're an officer and not a macho inmate

Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I just had my dogs at the Vet for the full shot treatment, heartworm check & meds plus I hear that there are lots of ticks & fleas in NC so I got that stuff - 2 dogs

Prices have gone sky high - much much higher than in the past. I intend to learn how to give my own shots for the future - major $$ savings.
It's very easy to do. If you have a Tractor Supply near you they carry vaccines. Just be sure to bring a small cooler with you since they need to be kept cool until given so you don't want them sitting in a hot vehicle for a significant period of time.

Cost is 8 to 10 bucks, depending on whether or not you get one that includes lepto or not. Bordetella is also about $8.00 and I find this harder to give than the injection since you have to try and squirt half the dose up each nostril.

I would suggest that you peel the labels off the bottles and stick them on the most recent rabies certificate that you have for the dogs and note the date given.

Although you can buy rabies vaccines in some places most states wouldn't recognize it unless it's given by a vet.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
My former GP retired a few months ago so I saw the new doc and liked him. Got some new scrips and my co-pays are a bit higher than with my former insurance but since the new policy is $905.00 a month cheaper I can afford an extra $30.00 a month for my scrips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement