Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 09:59 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well golly, under a Winter Storm Warning with up to 20" of snow forecast. Sitting here in front of the fire, hot cup of coffee happy I am not driving to work in this. It's good to be retired.
No snow here but it sure got cold fast! Snow in the 'high country' though. They are excited about it now but we'll see how they feel about it come Jan./Feb.. Although it never lasts long, even up there. It rained all day yesterday, off and on. Supposed to be the same today but so far just big black clouds, windy and cold. Brrrrrrr.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:20 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Just to change the topic a bit: my house has been on the market for 4 months with 3 price reductions and not one offer, even low ball. There have been 30 showings, giving me an ulcer and continuous headaches from all the stress of people, pets, cleaning, etc etc. I am considering giving up, although the realtor said this is common in todays' buyers market.

I even buried St. Joseph statue (the second one) in the backyard, head down, facing the house.

Any other tips (myths or urban legends) anyone knows for selling a house??? Very discouraged.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Weather in Syracuse, NY has been so beautiful. 66 degrees, sunny, blue skies. No snow in the forecast. Yippee!!

Bad news for our north country, nuclear plant in Oswego is (or has) closed... hundreds losing their jobs, and further north (Massena area), plant shutting down soon, many more losing their jobs. Thank you Gov. Cuomo. Promises, promises...... can't live on promises. And something I never used to think about..... for all the companies that close, how many supporting companies need to close down due to lack of need from the bigger companies? Even a very popular diner facing cutting staff and/or eventual close.

Of course, these companies all pay taxes...... until they close. Then the residents get hit with higher taxes, somebody has to pay.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:05 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
One of our important hospitals here in Syracuse is dealing with Legionnaire disease. I think about 3 people have gotten sick and one died. Don't drink the water, that is where it's coming from.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:35 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
The Bronx has been dealing with Legionnaires all summer and still was when we left the in September, but I haven't kept up with it since we are out of the area.. Those cases were from improperly maintained air cooling systems being contaminated and water sources. It's not so much drinking the water but breathing in the contaminated spray in the air or aspirating it. Shower heads are a common source and people who are more susceptible to aspirating contaminated water more easily. It results in a form of pneumonia when the bacteria get in the lungs.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
Well, my drive up from Prescott Valley to Flagstaff wasn't fun once I got 20 minutes past Camp Verde - The last 40+ minutes were white knuckle and 20 miles slower than speed limit. - Ice and snow on I-17N and I haven't driven in this in almost 30 years. UGH. Hope going home is better - but since the white stuff is still coming down (and harder than an hour ago) I'm not holding my breath.

If enough notice - I would like to meet up with the other gals here in AZ.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:32 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
I'm sorry some of our C-D posters are having yucky weather.

Today had to be one of the most beautiful days I have ever seen. Warm weather, clear blue skies, and wickedly beautiful autumn foliage. It was just awesome.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I'm sorry some of our C-D posters are having yucky weather.

Today had to be one of the most beautiful days I have ever seen. Warm weather, clear blue skies, and wickedly beautiful autumn foliage. It was just awesome.
It's not so bad, really. After today it'll be clear skies, if not so warm. I don't think it'll get much over 70 the next week and most days cooler. The snow won't last that long either but it's just the first one of the winter. I guess it's time to start wearing a jacket to work in the morning.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Well, my drive up from Prescott Valley to Flagstaff wasn't fun once I got 20 minutes past Camp Verde - The last 40+ minutes were white knuckle and 20 miles slower than speed limit. - Ice and snow on I-17N and I haven't driven in this in almost 30 years. UGH. Hope going home is better - but since the white stuff is still coming down (and harder than an hour ago) I'm not holding my breath.
If enough notice - I would like to meet up with the other gals here in AZ.
I actually thought about you this morning and wondered what your drive would be like. I know it's no fun driving in that stuff. Hope your drive home wasn't too bad. They had snow in Prescott too so hope all went well. Take care!

When I lived in Payson, and worked at Kohl's Ranch, I was always ready to have to stay at the hotel if I needed to. Kept a bag of 'essentials' in my car all winter. I did have to stay a few times. At least I wasn't late for work the next morning! lol

Old 11-05-2015, 07:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
It's decidedly Fall in these here Ozarks. Today it's raining and we get thunderstorms. Starting tomorrow it's highs in the 50s and lows in the low 40s and mid-30s. Trees are changing color and dropping their leaves. I really love living in the land of four real seasons again and am glad I mowed (probably for the last time until Spring) and mulched leaves yesterday. Last chance before flying to Sacramento tomorrow to pick up my wife and drive her back home. I can't tell you how thrilled I am at the prospect of hurtling through the air at high speed in a couple of aluminum cigar tubes! Haven't flown since about 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement