Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 10:51 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times

Advertisements

AZGarden:...........
I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your beloved Boomer.
I am dreading the day my 12 yr old Rex leaves my life. He became 'my family' and 24/7 companion at age 5 months shortly after my wife of 51 yrs passed. My thoughts are with you.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, I can tell you that it definitely isn't Miami Beach. It never gets that cold over here. Well, I shouldn't say never; it last reached its all-time record low of 32 almost 40 years ago in 1980, and I think it hit that temp a couple times before that, but I'm not sure when. I do know that it's never gone below 32; in fact, It normally doesn't even get down to the 40s around here. As an example, the low temperature yesterday was 68, lol.
Interesting. Miami is just belowthe 26degree latitude line and Punta Gorda sits on the 25 line so....80 or so miles in latitude difference. Doesn't seem like a lot and I would think that the gulf side would normally be warmer but apparently all this is not the case.

Hope you are doing well MMoB!

Old 01-26-2018, 07:36 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Interesting. Miami is just belowthe 26degree latitude line and Punta Gorda sits on the 25 line so....80 or so miles in latitude difference. Doesn't seem like a lot and I would think that the gulf side would normally be warmer but apparently all this is not the case.

Hope you are doing well MMoB!
Yes, I am; thank you for asking. So well, in fact, that I've even planned a celebratory trip in anticipation of my next test results turning out positive. Here's a little update:

After completing four months of chemo at the beginning of November, and then four weeks of radiation treatments which ended in the middle of December, I've been feeling better and better, and getting stronger and stronger, every week. I've been going to physical therapy three times a week for the past three months and I'm now able to go for long walks, even though I still have some numbness in my feet from the chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN). It's hard for me to believe that a little over three months ago I was in a wheelchair because I couldn't walk more than 3-4 steps, and that even after that, I had to use a walker to get around for awhile.

Next week I'm scheduled for an echocardiogram to check on the status of the small tumor that was in my heart and then the following week I'm having a PET Scan to check on the status of the (formerly) large tumor that was in my chest cavity as well as whether there's indication of increased cellular activity in other organs. I have a follow-up visit with my oncologist on Friday, Feb. 9th to discuss the results. If he says everything is fine and gives me the go-ahead to travel, then on Wednesday, Feb. 13th, my wife and I are going to fly to Singapore for the Chinese New Year celebration on Feb. 16th, stay there for 3 nights, and then board a Celebrity cruise for a celebratory 14-night cruise to Thailand, Vietnam, Taipei, and ending in Hong Kong, where we will spend 4 days sightseeing before flying home.

Again, this is all presupposing that I get a good report from my doctors; but if I don't and we can't go, at least we've done our research on the cruise itinerary and we would push the trip back to 2019.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
MMoB: You are a warrior. You have been through a lot and I admire you for your positive attitude, making plans that sound wonderful but also keeping in mind that trip might have to wait.

I pray you get a good report when you see the doctor and have your bags packed and ready for your adventure.

I hope if I ever have to walk the path you are on that I can do it as well as you have.

Good luck!!

Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM

492 posts, read 406,287 times
^^^^^this!

Old 01-26-2018, 01:36 PM

240 posts, read 267,930 times
MMOB: Such good news! You have been through so much. Best wishes to both you and your wife.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
It just never ends, does it?

When I moved into this senior apartment in September 2011, my lease designated I was allowed to have one pet. At that time I had one cat so that went well.

About a year and a half ago I got a call from our building manager (one of about 12 we've had so far) that I could have a second cat if I contacted a place, applied, paid the $$ (I think it was $85), and they sent me a certificate, a tag for the 2nd cat. I took it all down to the manager (not here anymore) who recorded it and filed the copies of info I had made.

Now being told (per a letter I got today) if I don't prove the cat is a service animal, I need to rehome the cat or move out February 6. (I happen to like this cat very much and do not want to rehome either of them.)

These are the same people I begged for a working toilet for over six years (one finally came in but not installed yet).

I have a call into an attorney but it's late Friday afternoon and have to wait till Monday to talk to someone.

I plan to stand my ground and hopefully the lawyer will help me.

But I have to wonder. Do I really want to stay here. And how do I relocate in two weeks?

Old 01-26-2018, 04:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, I am; thank you for asking. So well, in fact, that I've even planned a celebratory trip in anticipation of my next test results turning out positive. Here's a little update:

After completing four months of chemo at the beginning of November, and then four weeks of radiation treatments which ended in the middle of December, I've been feeling better and better, and getting stronger and stronger, every week. I've been going to physical therapy three times a week for the past three months and I'm now able to go for long walks, even though I still have some numbness in my feet from the chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN). It's hard for me to believe that a little over three months ago I was in a wheelchair because I couldn't walk more than 3-4 steps, and that even after that, I had to use a walker to get around for awhile.

Next week I'm scheduled for an echocardiogram to check on the status of the small tumor that was in my heart and then the following week I'm having a PET Scan to check on the status of the (formerly) large tumor that was in my chest cavity as well as whether there's indication of increased cellular activity in other organs. I have a follow-up visit with my oncologist on Friday, Feb. 9th to discuss the results. If he says everything is fine and gives me the go-ahead to travel, then on Wednesday, Feb. 13th, my wife and I are going to fly to Singapore for the Chinese New Year celebration on Feb. 16th, stay there for 3 nights, and then board a Celebrity cruise for a celebratory 14-night cruise to Thailand, Vietnam, Taipei, and ending in Hong Kong, where we will spend 4 days sightseeing before flying home.

Again, this is all presupposing that I get a good report from my doctors; but if I don't and we can't go, at least we've done our research on the cruise itinerary and we would push the trip back to 2019.

What a positive and upbeat post! I am so glad that things are going so well for you. You've been through a lot and really deserve that trip. I hope all goes well and you get to go and enjoy it. Hugs to you!

Old 01-27-2018, 02:47 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
Wow MMOB you sure have the best attitude and it serves you well. So happy you are feeling better and better and stronger each day.
NYGal-- hope things go well and you get less of this type of excitement........

Old 01-27-2018, 10:50 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
It just never ends, does it?

When I moved into this senior apartment in September 2011, my lease designated I was allowed to have one pet. At that time I had one cat so that went well.

About a year and a half ago I got a call from our building manager (one of about 12 we've had so far) that I could have a second cat if I contacted a place, applied, paid the $$ (I think it was $85), and they sent me a certificate, a tag for the 2nd cat. I took it all down to the manager (not here anymore) who recorded it and filed the copies of info I had made.

Now being told (per a letter I got today) if I don't prove the cat is a service animal, I need to rehome the cat or move out February 6. (I happen to like this cat very much and do not want to rehome either of them.)

These are the same people I begged for a working toilet for over six years (one finally came in but not installed yet).

I have a call into an attorney but it's late Friday afternoon and have to wait till Monday to talk to someone.

I plan to stand my ground and hopefully the lawyer will help me.

But I have to wonder. Do I really want to stay here. And how do I relocate in two weeks?
You've had too many problems with them. I would move elsewhere. Maybe this is the push you need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement