Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 12:47 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,314,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I think I had mentioned the young lady we know who was made homeless by hurricane Harvey, in Houston. The good news is that she has found an apartment and moved in Oct. 1st. Also good news is that, although her renter's insurance did not cover flood damage, FEMA did help her out a little bit. Now she will slowly be filling her apt with furniture, and all those mundane but useful things. She is thankful, for sure. Just thought I would share a bit of good news!
I wish there was a way to help & know it isn't a scam. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes we could help. Just so many scams out there after a disaster.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:37 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,816,305 times
N.CA, good news. A woman who kept her late son's tools, gave them to a young man who had lost his in the fire. So many good stories coming out of tragedy.

Snow has dusted the Olympic Mountains; cannot believe it's been a week since I posted ! My late husband said " The older I get, the faster time goes ! " Do not know if that is orginial or not. He went home to Heaven 5 years ago; his sons and I were able to celebrate his last birthday together, he was 65. Our sons were living in CO at the time.

The volunteers took the remaining books from the senior citizens annual sale, a Truckload ! That was after 2 weekends of sales ! Very much they appreciated they were along with puzzles and some games. One thoughtful lady, getting clothes for a church program, thought to get small luggage as some folks do not have some to carry their belongings.

Time to put away the white summer shoes, summer wardrobe !

Happy Fall Y'all !

Old 10-15-2017, 07:31 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,894,643 times
A three legged dog walked into a bar carrying a six gun and said "I'm lookin for the guy who shot my paw".

Old 10-15-2017, 02:55 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,922,149 times
I am very worried about Curmudgeon.

1. He last posted on City-Data on September 7, 2017, a bit over a month ago. Lots of people take time outs which are longer than that, so that by itself doesn't mean a whole lot.

2. It has been at least three weeks since I sent a direct message inquiring how he was doing. There has been no response so far. THAT is unusual for him.

3. A bit over a week ago I used his private email for the inquiry. No response, nor did the email come back to me, so I assume it's still a valid email address.

4. Twice, a week ago, and again today, I tried the cell phone number that I have for him. After a lot of rings, there is a message that the subscriber you are trying to reach is unavailable, i.e., no possibility of leaving a voice mail. Now this number may no longer be valid, but I know it was once because I used it several years ago to talk to Curmudgeon.

5. Googling today using his real name results in findings for the small town I know he lives in, but it did not return any death notice or obituary notice.

Am I jumping the gun and worrying prematurely? Quite possibly, and I certainly hope so. But I can't stop worrying by an act of will.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:47 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,205,314 times
This does sound rather worrisome. Does anyone live near where he lives who could check on him?

Old 10-15-2017, 03:48 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,254 times
ER - I understand your worry, especially all the methods you used. I don't know what to say - perhaps the hospital. His family wouldn't probably know to contact anyone here. I hope he's OK and if he needs any kind of help to let someone know.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
That is scary about Curmudgeon. I do recall seeing a lot of his posts in forums that deal with grief. He wasn't having an easy time of it getting over the death of his wife. I can't think of any other way of knowing how he is and what has happened to him because you seem to have covered all the bases, ER.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:50 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,128,034 times
ER......
Contact the local post office in the town he lives in and let them know the various methods you have tried to get in touch.
And/Or, contact the City Police and request a "Welfare Check, again explaining all these various methods you have tried to get in touch.
Wish you luck, I also hope he is OK.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:43 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,029,254 times
Default Er

If you don't respond we're going to start worrying about you.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:10 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times
ER, thank you for posting this. I have been wondering where he was, too. I know his wife passed away and thought he was grieving and needed time to do that. But it would seem we would have heard something from him by now. I think he is by himself..... aren't his kids in CA? Or in another state?

I'll send him a DM too.... I don't have all the other ways of contacting him that you do, but if he's still looking at C-D, he might see it.

Let's hope he is doing OK.

BTW, ER, are those fires affecting you at all? I think you are south of them but would imagine you are seeing the smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement