Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:24 PM

391 posts, read 787,828 times

Advertisements

I retired at 49 but everyone, mainly my wife, said that was too early so after a year or so I became self employed. Now I'm too busy to retire again but really want to.

My wife just retired in Aug (we're both 55) but she's still working lots as a casual nurse.

I think I would really enjoy retirement. People all said I could not be retired as I'm always up to something (so I'm told) but they were wrong.

Its just scary to leave money on the table. Have a decent pension as does wife. But when I see countries going bankrupt, I'm worried. Countries are not supposed to go bankrupt!

We bought a place in Phoenix and have only been there 2 weeks in 3 months because of being busy. Just spent a week there and came home to cold and snow. Now Im ready to just finish up my last 5 jobs and call it quits again.

Technically, we're both retired but it sure doesn't feel like it.

I could probably start another little business being retired. It would be fun and being retired is about doing fun stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
We left No CA for a small coastal NC town. Couldn't be happier. I'm still semi-working as a webzine publisher and editor and as a journalist, and my spouse works as a writer from home but we have lots of spare time for bike rides, being on the water and walks along the waterfront. It's friendly here and I've gotten involved in various community activities, including Friends of the Library. A good move for us. Don't miss the big city at all. Low stress--it's wonderful.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
I'm enjoying reading these as we are a year or two, we hope, away from retirement and have no idea where we want to eventually land, other than we know we want to get out of Northern Virginia and the rat race of this area. We have a fall back right now, a second home on a lake which we feel we may use as our permanent home for a few years, but it's too isolated and too many stairs for the long run.

I know it's personal preference but have most of you just bought in the areas you've moved to in a "regular" neighborhood? Move to an adult living type of community? We don't want land or acreage, dh refuses to do any more mowing than he has to, but also not sure if I'm ready for a condo yet. Lots of choices and decisions coming up. We think we want to stay in Virginia but also haven't explored the surrounding states yet either as to their possibilities. I'm going to keep on reading.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:44 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I'm enjoying reading these as we are a year or two, we hope, away from retirement and have no idea where we want to eventually land, other than we know we want to get out of Northern Virginia and the rat race of this area. We have a fall back right now, a second home on a lake which we feel we may use as our permanent home for a few years, but it's too isolated and too many stairs for the long run.

I know it's personal preference but have most of you just bought in the areas you've moved to in a "regular" neighborhood? Move to an adult living type of community? We don't want land or acreage, dh refuses to do any more mowing than he has to, but also not sure if I'm ready for a condo yet. Lots of choices and decisions coming up. We think we want to stay in Virginia but also haven't explored the surrounding states yet either as to their possibilities. I'm going to keep on reading.
I have never liked mowing. I refuse to own a lawn.

In my profile are some photos of our backyard, maybe give you ideas for things you can have other than lawn.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
LittleDolphin,

I'm curious whether you have had to evacuate your North Carolina waterfront town because of hurricanes, if you feel like speaking to that issue.

I would love to live in a town or city on the ocean in North Carolina, but so far I've been scared away by the seemingly yearly threat of severe hurricanes which always seem to encompass the North Carolina ocean coast, and with climate change, the hurricanes appear to be more frequent and more severe.

I would like to hear your experience.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
In answer to whether we've had to leave Dodge for hurricanes--the answer is no, not so far. We've been here 7 years. We're not directly on the water--it's a 10 minute bike ride away and we bought in a non-flood zone. In hurricanes, we lost cedar shakes from the side of the house and a neighbor's big pine blew down into our yard, but missed the house and shed.

If you choose your location wisely, hurricanes can be unpleasant (especially a couple days of no power!) but not terribly destructive. The major problem comes from storm surge from high tides, rivers and creeks--flooding. So you want to pick an elevation not prone to flooding.

We chose a neighborhood location where we can either walk or ride our bikes to everything we need--we love that! Got rid of one car and love the convenience and having delightful neighbors. One's a fisherman and once in a while he brings us fresh caught fish. We just enjoyed his catch of speckled trout the other night. Delicious!!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have never liked mowing. I refuse to own a lawn.

In my profile are some photos of our backyard, maybe give you ideas for things you can have other than lawn.
Love it, for someone else. . Actually it looks a lot like what my FIL backyard looked like when he was younger and could take care of it. Now he's in his late 80's but still owns the home.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
I think it's time for a new thread. For the women retiring alone, the men retiring alone, and the couples retiring, how's your move to greener pastures working out? With the economy such as it is, the stock market like a roller coaster and the GNP way below the GND, are we on the right tract? Was leaving our home state to retire in another the right thing to do? How is that retirement move of yours working out?
57, recently retired divorced Male , moved from northern Illinois to northern Florida couple years ago , living frugally off of cash i saved over the years but still have entertainment, activities, RV trips, beach, dancing, karaoke, nice dinners out with other Singles , etc... house paid for, do some side jobs in my trade .......... couldnt be happier to escape the winters and the treadmill rat race of making a living in the Chicago area for many years .

Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 AM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Love it, for someone else. . Actually it looks a lot like what my FIL backyard looked like when he was younger and could take care of it. Now he's in his late 80's but still owns the home.
Most of that is a canopy of maple trees over fiddleheads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement