Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,392,971 times

Advertisements

It's been great for me, a single woman. I got lucky and was able to retire on a very good pension (thanks to the smart guys in my union who pushed for $$ to go in to it) and sell my CA home at the peak of the market and move to a rural area. The home and 28 acres that I bought here cost far less than what I'd sold my previous home for.

The dogs love having lots of room to roam and a creek of their own to play in, not to mention lots of horse poop to roll around in.

Biggest down sides for me are that Chinese food is far, far away as is Indian food and so is the emergency vet clinic.

I'm not wild about the colder weather and wish the house was not all electric with a heat pump since overnight lows dip below freezing most night for 5 months.

There are enough transplants here from more metropolitan areas that I am not friendless because I don't belong to any church. In fact I can say that I have more true friends here than back in CA., mostly because I got involved in the local Humane Society and we share a common cause.

At 62 I don't have any major health issues, just the usual aches and pains of getting older and much less stamina but I can afford to hire out some of the honey do type chores that need doing - such as fence repair or installing new storm doors.

For many years I had thought that I would retire in place in Oakland (the thought of packing up all my stuff was the main reason) but eventually realized that a more rural environment was much more my cup of tea.

No kids or grand kids so proximity to family was not an issue for me as it is for so many others.

I feel truly fortunate and the good life now makes up for the last eight or so (out of 28) years that I was miserable in my job when the place was sold and new management was clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM

342 posts, read 718,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
We moved out of central NJ to NC a little over a year ago mainly because of the lower COL and the milder weather.

So far back in NJ in the last year, 30" of snow the day after Christmas, Hurricane Irene, and just a week or so ago the October snow storm that left our old neighborhood without power for another few days just like Irene did.

Because of the high unemployment in NC I still have not found any acceptable part time work like I had in NJ but down here I really don't need the job.

For us so far the move has worked out.

We miss our old neighborhood and the great restaurants in NJ but we don't miss the crowded roads, the crowded stores and we certainly don't miss the bad weather.
We are also from NJ - but moved from the northeast part of the state (bergen county) to western NJ, and I love it. Yes, we've had our share of bad weather, but now that I'm not working and don't have to drive in it, it doesn't bother me - I find an occasional day or two hunkered inside is quite enjoyable - get a big fire going and I always find something to keep me busy.

We have beautiful scenery here and much less traffic. We did pick an area that is within 15 minutes of a community hospital, shopping, a theater group, doctors, etc. We're still only an hour away from old friends and larger medical facilities should something major happen, but it's like a different world here - peaceful and serene - and best of all, we're still close to family. I love it here and am glad we made the move.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,437,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
We are also from NJ - but moved from the northeast part of the state (bergen county) to western NJ, and I love it. Yes, we've had our share of bad weather, but now that I'm not working and don't have to drive in it, it doesn't bother me - I find an occasional day or two hunkered inside is quite enjoyable - get a big fire going and I always find something to keep me busy.

We have beautiful scenery here and much less traffic. We did pick an area that is within 15 minutes of a community hospital, shopping, a theater group, doctors, etc. We're still only an hour away from old friends and larger medical facilities should something major happen, but it's like a different world here - peaceful and serene - and best of all, we're still close to family. I love it here and am glad we made the move.
We didn't move because we hated NJ, we just got tired of shoveling snow and the colder weather not to mention the COL.
If we were financially able I would love to be living in certain areas of NJ. Still have family back there in Warren Co.
Agree that when you don't have to drive in the bad weather it is much more tolerable.

If I could do it I would love to have a home either in Spring Lake or Tewksbury for the spring to fall seasons
and a winter home far South but I don't see that happening.

You can keep the NYC metro area but the rest of NJ is great.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM

37,544 posts, read 61,623,322 times
Quote:
We moved out of central NJ to NC a little over a year ago mainly because of the lower COL and the milder weather.

So far back in NJ in the last year, 30" of snow the day after Christmas, Hurricane Irene, and just a week or so ago the October snow storm that left our old neighborhood without power for another few days just like Irene did. ...
That is a huge amount of snow.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM

934 posts, read 1,943,120 times
I retired this year and made 'the move', so far its been good. Only wish I could sell my previous home, but with the economy now....*shrug*.

If that were to happen, everything would be great. But otherwise, Im very glad I took the plunge.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,437,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That is a huge amount of snow.
I am sure you are being facetious.

I don't think 30" of snow is a huge amount but if you don't care much for snow than 6" is too much.

After 60+ years of shoveling, blowing, scraping snow it is time to let somebody else enjoy the snow.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM

37,544 posts, read 61,623,322 times
Quote:
I am sure you are being facetious.

I don't think 30" of snow is a huge amount but if you don't care much for snow than 6" is too much.

After 60+ years of shoveling, blowing, scraping snow it is time to let somebody else enjoy the snow.
I grew up in California, where I saw as much as 6 foot of snow dumped in a single storm [in the Sierra Nevadas]. So I have seen big snow dumps.

However since moving to the East Coast, the most snow I have experienced in a single dump has been 8 inches, and that was here in Maine.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,292,492 times
We started the drive north from Philly to Houston the day after I retired. Coming up on one year, we couldn't be happier. Absolutely love the four seasons and walking nearly everywhere. Further, being in a condo means no more maintenance and upkeep. It worked out even better than we imagined - you'd have to drag us back to Texas.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 PM

699 posts, read 1,709,024 times
We moved from northern MN to central NC last spring. Miss our daughter and our friends. Can't seem to work up the steam to jump into the social/volunteer life here. Summer was way too hot and humid.

But no regrets. Growing old in MN is a tough gig. Six months of ice and snow. Taxes you wouldn't believe. Income tax, sales tax, property tax... Plus, as welfare programs are cut in Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee... people are moving to MN in a steady stream and bringing their problems with them.

Enjoying settling into our new home. Lots of community activities, just need to get with it. Place seems safer. Ask me in a year.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:19 PM

9,329 posts, read 16,708,402 times
Moved from NJ to upstate NY and love it! Peace and quiet of the country, great new friends, neighbors and within an hour of grandchildren. Spend 6-8 weeks in HI and RV to the Keys for 6 weeks, which breaks up the winter. Happy to leave the congestion and hustle and bustle of NJ for greener pastures. Have never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement