Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,083,160 times

Advertisements

So, now that they failed totally to reduce the deficit, what do you think will happen to us retirees when the so called "cuts" have to take place?
I am concerned about social service programs, especially things that affect elderly people, like my mom who is 101. And Medicare. What will they cut and how will we cope? I have a Medicare advantage plan and I like it. If it goes away, not sure what I will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:24 AM

438 posts, read 1,116,406 times
I think the outcome of the Super Committee could have been a lot worse. The automatic cuts don't take place until 2013, so don't worry too much yet. Lots of things can change before then.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 PM

624 posts, read 1,248,965 times
Do not put your faith in any government or organization. Your faith should be in your Creator. Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,767 posts, read 58,209,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
I think the outcome of the Super Committee could have been a lot worse. The automatic cuts don't take place until 2013, so don't worry too much yet. Lots of things can change before then.
LOTS of things BETTER change (sooner the better). Most significant result is going to be much more unemployment (especially in public sector) = less services, prolonged recovery, competitive job market (for retirees needing income and healthcare), it's disaster for equity investments that have growth potential factored in. It is a time bomb for US monetary policy. (as we continue creating excess USD's). The longer the downcycle, the much more difficult and troublesome the recovery process. (Especially to avoid hyperinflation). I think 'the maestro' Mr. Greenjeans, has made his mark on history.

Maybe there will be a change to the political system. (since that is what they claim caused the failure (bipartisanship).

I'm all for going back to NON-PAID politicians, and using PROVEN successful business people volunteer (i.e. one term) to SERVE their community.

I also want to get rid of any advertising for incumbents. They have a public record of success . Promoting them as a 'popular' vote is doing a disservice to the uneducated voter (of which is the majority).

Thus our recent election restored a whole team (yet again), majority of our local fire and port commissioners that have been preserving inept management and poor business practices for over 30 yrs in the same role...

Old 11-25-2011, 08:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
Unless you are in a position to pay your own way you are screwed. If you expect the Republicans to win in 2012 and make changes for the better, you're stupid. Good luck, you are going to need it.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,688,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Unless you are in a position to pay your own way you are screwed. If you expect the Republicans to win in 2012 and make changes for the better, you're stupid. Good luck, you are going to need it.
If we vote GOP in 2012 and are stupid, what level of intelligence are all those that voted for OBAMA expecting positive change and now are without jobs?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,456,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So, now that they failed totally to reduce the deficit, what do you think will happen to us retirees when the so called "cuts" have to take place?
I am concerned about social service programs, especially things that affect elderly people, like my mom who is 101. And Medicare. What will they cut and how will we cope? I have a Medicare advantage plan and I like it. If it goes away, not sure what I will do.
Here's a summary of the automatic spending cuts: A glance at automatic spending cuts resulting from supercommittee inaction

According to the article, no cuts to Social Security are included in the automatic cuts, but "... about $10.8 billion in Medicare payments to providers and insurance plans ..." are included.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
If we vote GOP in 2012 and are stupid, what level of intelligence are all those that voted for OBAMA expecting positive change and now are without jobs?
Really? If you don't understand the dynamics of why things are so screwed up and how long it took to get here, as well as how long it should realistically take us to dig our way back out, you should pick up a book on recent political history, and another on economics.

Edit: I did not expect Obama to fix this mess in 4 years. If the Republicans had won I would not have expected them to do so. Too many people have their heads in a dark, smelly place and have no clue what it will take to fix the mess left behind by Bush.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:30 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,688,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Really? If you don't understand the dynamics of why things are so screwed up and how long it took to get here, as well as how long it should realistically take us to dig our way back out, you should pick up a book on recent political history, and another on economics.

Edit: I did not expect Obama to fix this mess in 4 years. If the Republicans had won I would not have expected them to do so. Too many people have their heads in a dark, smelly place and have no clue what it will take to fix the mess left behind by Bush.
I no longer take an interest in politics, who did what, whose doing what, I have determined nothing I do will change what the current administration, Dem or Gop are doing.

I may have my head up my butt, but I refuse to stress about what the morons in DC are doing and who is responsible. I live a good life, and should that change, I'll deal with it. Reading about recent political history and economics are not on my bucket list, rather where we will travel this winter is my priority.

BTW, I still won't vote for Obama because he isn't a leader.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:38 PM

379 posts, read 535,135 times
You took the words right out of my mouth Ellwood!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement