Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times

Advertisements

OK - it seems that almost everyone here hates many elder care facilities (especially what they call "nursing homes").

Many of you here are pretty young (or really young) - but thinking about getting a new place when you retire - or looking at the place where you're living now and wondering how you might have to change it if - at age 80 (give or take) - you wind up incapable of running a marathon .

So I thought I'd start a thread where people can exchange design ideas. What to look for if you're buying a new place - or thinking about a retrofit of an old place. How the place will work for you in your 60's and 70's - and what you might have to do at age 80+ (of course - we don't all get the same infirmities at the same age so a place that is ok for one person who's fit as a fiddle at age 85 might not be ok for another person who's 70 who has medical issues).

Anyway - like I said in another thread - we built our current house to be good during our 50's and 60's - perhaps until our 70's. My husband has MS - and he may need some changes within the next 5 years - earlier than many people.

When we built our house - the primary design consideration was a single story house. No stairs. To me - that is design rule #1. The rest - not necessarily in order of importance.

Second consideration - low maintenance (or maintenance that is easily done by people you can afford to hire).

Third consideration - doorways and corridors that can accommodate wheelchairs (think we have a few that don't pass muster - but most do - and those that don't can be altered easily).

Fourth consideration - drawers and low storage cabinets you can reach easily - especially in the kitchen. I will never forget the day I saw my elderly mother trying to bend over to retrieve a pot buried in the back of a lower kitchen cabinet - and she fell over and hurt herself. Having to climb on step stools to reach high cabinets is no bargain either once your sense of balance starts to deteriorate.

Fifth consideration - soft floor surfaces and nothing to trip on. We have carpet in most areas and new style "old fashioned" linoleum in places like our kitchen. And no mats - area rugs - etc. to trip on.

Sixth consideration - a nice big shower where you can bathe sitting down if necessary. If you're a bath person - a tub designed so you don't break your neck trying to get in or out of it.

Seventh consideration - lighting. Enough of it so you don't need a flashlight to read in the places you read. But dimmable if you don't want an area to look like a hospital OR 24/7.

Eighth consideration - comfy furniture (which can be stylish).

I have always hated exposed wiring (for everything) in terms of aesthetics. So I am a master at hiding wires/cords. But it goes without saying that you don't want any around you might trip on.

We are not yet at the point where we need grab bars anywhere - but I reckon that will come with time.

Anyway - all comments and additional suggestions - well bring them on. And think about your ideal kitchen when you're struggling with the turkey tomorrow .

A Happy Thanksgiving to all of you:

Turkey in the Straw - animated Flash ecard by Jacquie Lawson

(Note that this is a great website for ecards - not free but worth the nominal annual fee). Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 11-23-2011 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Disability can begin at any age. Homeowners over age 45, if they are planning on staying in their home forever, should start now to plan what they will need if they become disabled or simply too old to function easily.

1. Location. Rural, suburban, or in-town? What are the adv's and disadv's of each? Should one move in anticipation of old age?

2. Lot size and design--flat or hilly? filled with large trees that could fall on the house or bushes and lawn that needs constant care? Postage stamp yard filled with self-maintaining plantings?

3. How long is the driveway--much too long for access to the house and leaf/snow clearance? What materials to last a lifetime?

4. Footprint of house--size, layout, number of floors, issue of stairs.

5. House design--flow/design of main floor--bedroom and bath on first? Wide doorways and places for grab-bars? A small efficiency apt for family and caregivers?

6. How will the kitchen, bath, and laundry be set up? If one had to operate out of a wheelchair or with walking braces?

7. How does Fido access the backyard when you're too sick or tired to get up to let him out at 6 a.m. and 11 p.m.?

8. What kind of front door access, back door access, garage access, mailbox access....the buzzword is access.

These major functional design issues are on the macro level. Decor is the micro level. There would be a huge market for designers who can come up with SF/MF housing for seniors or pre-seniors that is also highly energy efficient.

Where are they? Will the real designers of tomorrow please stand up??

Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,056,569 times
Default All good suggestions

I would add replacing round door knobs and faucet handles with lever style that don't require a grip to move.

Also not only single story but at least one entrance to the house with no stairs at all. My ranch style houses have had a step up from the garage but if you go through the front door there is no step so one could wheel in if one needed to.

My short neighbor who is aging is looking at getting a french door oven. I'd never heard of such a thing. She has trouble putting things in and out of the oven because the door gets in the way. I'm tall so never thought of it but a french door oven could be of value to someone who is petite and losing their strength or balance.

I like low ceilings where it only takes a step stool to change a light bulb. Vaulted ceilings that require a step or extension ladder are the pits. Our lights are the type that the extension poles don't really work with as the bulbs are not screw in.

Good thread. Thanks for starting it.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
I second the lever handles -- HOWEVER -- you need to find a way to keep the door closed or locked, if you have little children or pets who are smart enough to figure it out and take off.

Had a cat named Basil once that knew how a door knob worked... thank heavens he didn't have a thumb. Or a credit card to order PIZZA....

Oh -- and we have lever handles in our bathroom, and Seamus (cat) somehow managed to turn on the water full blast and I came home to a flooded bathroom.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Good topic. I've been thinking about downsizing a lot lately and will add my thoughts about my own plans, but one item I would suggest be added to everyone's list is "security." This means a well thought out plan to avoid accidental and intention calamities. I would include CCTV, door buzzer locks, fire suppression, emergency calling, etc. Technology has made this a whole lot cheaper and easier than just five years ago and improves every day. For example (I hate to admit this) I have a CCTV camera on my cat's play and cat box room where I can log on from work or out of town to an Internet link and watch him sleep or play in real time or go back and see his motion detected video from today or six months ago. Cost? $83 per year. $300 to install. I would assume that there are a lot of daughters who would like to look in on mom in the living room from time to time from 1000 miles away without having to call her and get her all riled up. Etc.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Wilson, I would love to know more about how to rig up a CCTV camera such as you mentioned. Any links I can go to in order to find out more??? TY!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
There is a national council on aging in place. There are also local chapters in some cities.

They have a section on making your home senior friendly. Might want to check the site out!

http://www.ageinplace.org/practical_..._friendly.aspx

Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wilson, I would love to know more about how to rig up a CCTV camera such as you mentioned. Any links I can go to in order to find out more??? TY!

Start here. Then I am happy to answer your questions. This is the indoor version of the indoor and outdoor system I have.

Logitech Alert

Also, here is a sample of the indoor video from this system. I have a close up on the cat box. I can watch in live from work or away.

Jack and the Box - YouTube

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times
Good thread idea.

1. Doggie door so the dog can come and go at will. Fenced in yard so they cannot escape.

2. Zeroscaping - no lawn mowing/low maintenance.

3. If not one level - a lower level where a careprovider or other familymember can live - or station. Main level accessible from garage or front door. Lower level accessible from rear of house (so built on a ridge).

Occupational therapists are excellent for evaluating aging in place standards.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Ha Ha That was an adorable cat video. And I would like to know what my Mom is doing in her home in Illinois so I might just consider it.
My present house in AZ has just about everything suggested for someone aging in place, except for the bathtub that is easy to get into. I didn't plan it that way and it would be perfect for me, if I wanted to stay here. Unfortunately, I would like this house to be in a different state.

And, went looking at assisted living facilities around here last weekend. Goodness gracious ! What beautiful places, just like a hotel, great food, dining rooms, activities galore, people to talk to, bus to take you places, etc etc. The Brookdale facilities seem to have done it all. Pretty price though. About $4000 starting, and on up. While my home is perfect for a retiree, I would rather (if I could afford it) go to one of the assisted places and forget about home ownership entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement