Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times

Advertisements

I have always been curious about those who have two homes one in the north and one in the south, even out of the country. You see I live in the North but truly wanted to live in the south. Have been here all my life because of hubbys good job and they are hard to come by. He also loves it here, me, I don't but have lived here all my life and so it will be. There are people I know, (not well though) that have a small house in the north and a small house in the south). They are gone all these cold months and live here in the summer. It sounds like a lot of people are considering or in the process of doing this.

What are the pro's and con's.
Where are both of your homes?

What are you glad you did.
What would you not do if you had it to do over again.
Any other comments.
Anyone here have a house outside the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Other than costs the problem is taking care of the property when you are away. An apartment could solve that problem.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Friends have a house at a lake in NY and condo at a marina in FL. Fortunately they are financially able to pay someone to look after the homes, cars and boat when they are out of state.

We travel quite frequently and have a house in upstate NY and find traveling south in the winter in an RV was a lot less hassle than owning two homes. Maintenance, taxes, utilities, etc. along with basic repairs (AC, furnace, landscaping, etc.) is not worth it.

If you are set on two homes, go with an apartment or condo, which has on site management if problems arise when you're not in residence.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
My grandparents divided their time between homes in NY and FL for many years. For them, the "cons" were mainly the costs of owning two homes - purchase price, taxes, utilities, upkeep, paying someone to look after the homes when they were not in residence, cars (either keeping a car in both locations, or transporting a car back and forth) and their travel back and forth. However, my grandparents never really looked at these things as cons. They viewed them as the price to pay to live the lifestyle they had always hoped and planned to be able to live.

A huge pro was that they were able to experience mild weather year round, which helped keep them very active well into old age.

Once my grandfather's health failed and did not allow for the travel back and forth they chose to sell the FL home and remain in NY year round, close to family, lifelong friends and primary healthcare providers.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
I purchased a house up north to get away from the hot summers down south and I purchased a winter home in FL. to avoid the horrible winters .
this was a great idea for a few years but it I am getting to old to keep up the property up north the maintaining of the house the 2 acres that need mowing each week the leaves....oh those darn leaves

I would sell my northern home and live in Fl year round and deal with the heat but the value of the northern home has dropped to way way less than I owe on it so I am stuck with the semi annual commute

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
We never owned 2 houses. We lived in Florida for 6 years and vacationed in the northeast during the summer months. We recently sold our Florida home and bought a home in the northeast because it's cheaper to rent a Florida home in the winter than it is to plan a long-term New England summer vacation.

Renting to snowbird is probably the way to go. We can experience different places, AZ, parts of FL, any time we want and not get into the rut of same-place-same-time. We'll have no overhead, and every winter will be full of surprises. Cons... the surprises. Nothing worse than walking through the door and finding that the condo/house is ten years older than what the photos depicted, dirty, and worn.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,803 times
have had a second getaway home in Az for years~ always figured I'd be a two nome person. About 3 years ago got a home in colorado springs' sold my home in Iowa and moved. Absolutely love it there~ last year bought a house in Az~ love it there. Haven't exerienced any problems yet but cannot immagine ever moving back to Iowa. If the travel ever became a problem I'd lean toward Co. and wife leans toward Az but there are good and bad both ways. Cannot visualise anything that would tilt us to saying one residence would be preferable to continueing the two residences we now enjoy.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
We now have three homes, two in Canada and one here in Florida. Two are condos, with very little ongoing maintenance. The third is a cottage (cabin) in the woods, which is completely closed up in the winter, so gets maintenance and upkeep when we're there in the summer.

Time will tell if we can afford this. Eventually we'll divest ourselves of at least one property, and when we get elderly we'll have to sell the place in Florida, since we'll ahve need of Canadian healthcare.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 AM

199 posts, read 528,578 times
I have a home up north and in Florida, became a Fl. resident and save some tax money. It cost me about $100.00 per year to have someone cut my grass, so it costs me very little to own the second home. The other house we winterize and needs no maintenance at all while we are gone. Love being outside all year around, never regret two homes. It also gives you something to look forwad to. Have different friends at each location, different restaurants, etc. Winter just hinders what you can do outside.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM

192 posts, read 494,227 times
Cottage on a lake in N Michigan for the summer, and a home on an island in S Carolina for the winter months. Pros - walking into your own home and everything is just as you left it, and that sigh that comes over you knowing you are home. Cons - would have to be cost, but have budgeted it so there are no surprises. One other problem - We still have 2 years till total retirement, so in the meantime living in the cottage and grabbing as much time as possible in the SC house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement